• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
    I heard plastic dip is good
    That's like bedliner right?
    G'Day Mate

Comment

I saw a vid not long ago, where they DIY'ed Nissan Z, and professionally wrapped another. Huge difference in cost, and the DIY car looked worse than the crappy paint.

For a beater I'd do a cheap MAACO paint job, or maybe even try paint correction if the chipping is minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
        I heard plastic dip is good
        what's plasti dip?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Line X always looks like trash after about 2 months of ownership.
          Not if done correctly. I've had it on my truck for 3 years (bumpers, flares, lower part of doors/body) and it still looks brand new. My biggest concerns were it fading and being hard to clean. Mine is black and hasn't faded one bit, and cleaning it is really simple. I was pleasantly surprised, and have been really happy with it.

I think a lot of it depends on the material and the actual shop that does it. There are cheaper products that have bad results, and I've heard of some Line-X locations that do crappy work. Prices can also vary widely between different locations. I got mine done at Line-X of Montrose (CO), and I probably wouldn't chance it going anywhere else. They did a fantastic job at less than half of what a Line-X in Denver quoted me.

I know there are people out there having good DIY results with Raptor Liner, but I haven't used it personally. I'm sure prep is key.

I would never, ever, ever consider putting Line-X, or any other coating like that on anything where I might want to remove it someday. I'd consider it permanent, for sure. But, for a beater vehicle or trail rig? Go for it. It's super durable and looks sweet on certain applications.

A good wrap is crazy expensive, not a whole lot cheaper than a decent paint job.

My truck had the tan along the bottom, so when I added bumpers and started ditching the chrome, I decided black would look a lot better. I doubt it hurts the resale on this truck, but I don't really care, as I plan to keep this thing forever.

Last edited by jluv; 11-14-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I shot my buddy's '83 Jeep with green Raptor liner 4 years ago and it still looks like the day I shot it. If you're willing to do it yourself, I think you could do the whole truck for $400-$500. The Jeep, being so much smaller was less than $200 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              Not if done correctly. I've had it on my truck for 3 years (bumpers, flares, lower part of doors/body) and it still looks brand new. My biggest concerns were it fading and being hard to clean. Mine is black and hasn't faded one bit, and cleaning it is really simple. I was pleasantly surprised, and have been really happy with it.

I think a lot of it depends on the material and the actual shop that does it. There are cheaper products that have bad results, and I've heard of some Line-X locations that do crappy work. Prices can also vary widely between different locations. I got mine done at Line-X of Montrose (CO), and I probably wouldn't chance it going anywhere else. They did a fantastic job at less than half of what a Line-X in Denver quoted me.

I know there are people out there having good DIY results with Raptor Liner, but I haven't used it personally. I'm sure prep is key.

I would never, ever, ever consider putting Line-X, or any other coating like that on anything where I might want to remove it someday. I'd consider it permanent, for sure. But, for a beater vehicle or trail rig? Go for it. It's super durable and looks sweet on certain applications.

A good wrap is crazy expensive, not a whole lot cheaper than a decent paint job.

My truck had the tan along the bottom, so when I added bumpers and started ditching the chrome, I decided black would look a lot better. I doubt it hurts the resale on this truck, but I don't really care, as I plan to keep this thing forever.

That does look good, but doing it tastefully like yours and doing it on the whole body is quite a different beast.

You can tell a big difference in weathering between different parts of my truck bed alone because of how the sun hits it. I've never seen a vehicle that looked good when it was fully covered.

But I guess the dynamic is different for a beater. If you're not going for a nice look...and just a tough protecting coating that doesn't look as bad as rust and primer...maybe it's a good idea.

Comment

^Bad ass truck. I'm surprised you don't have side steps considering the height? My wife insisted I install some Westin nerf bars on my big RAM or she was going to stop riding in it. Didn't like having to jump into the truck. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  That does look good, but doing it tastefully like yours and doing it on the whole body is quite a different beast.

You can tell a big difference in weathering between different parts of my truck bed alone because of how the sun hits it. I've never seen a vehicle that looked good when it was fully covered.

But I guess the dynamic is different for a beater. If you're not going for a nice look...and just a tough protecting coating that doesn't look as bad as rust and primer...maybe it's a good idea.
                  Thank you.

If... rather, when I get any major scratches or need body work on the body, I'll probably just do the rest of it. Maybe all black, but more likely a dark green type of color on top. Maybe even dark blue, or even a dark maroon. Not sure yet. I've seen lots of vehicles where the whole thing is done, and if done right, I think it looks great on off-road rigs. To each their own, though.

The stuff I got has the top-of-the-line UV coating in it. I guess it makes a difference. It also has a lifetime warranty, so if it does fade or do anything wonky, I can take it back to the same shop and have them redo it. The warranty doesn't transfer to other locations, and I know some people who really hate that about the Line-X brand, but it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                    ^Bad ass truck. I'm surprised you don't have side steps considering the height? My wife insisted I install some Westin nerf bars on my big RAM or she was going to stop riding in it. Didn't like having to jump into the truck. lol
                    Thanks!

It has AMP power steps, so they're just tucked away in the pic. Absolutely necessary to have something at this height. For my parents and in-laws, I still have to bust out a step stool so they can make it to the step. I'll be ditching them for rock sliders soon, which can be used as steps, but will be tucked up a little higher. Wife isn't thrilled, but it's not our main vehicle. I love the AMP steps, but I want the protection of sliders.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                      I'm surprised you don't have side steps considering the height?
                      Jared is like 6'11, he can step right into that truck with no problem, he's the human version of a Texas Bigfoot living in CO...
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        Jared is like 6'11, he can step right into that truck with no problem, he's the human version of a Texas Bigfoot living in CO...
                        LOL, he is the Sexquatch.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          Line-x it is! I mean sounds like it is invincible................. I need to go look and see if I through all my paint equipment away. I mean I have the main part, my 80 gallon compressor. I just need to grab me some day labor to tape and clean, I hate that shit. I also contemplated olive drab green.

Not indestructible, but definitely tough. You can see how shitty it looked in this video...

Comment

After spraying the bottom of my floors in the belair with raptor liner I wanted to do the rest of the car in white raptor liner. I was talked out of it and into atleast a cheap regular paint job. It’s very easy to spray, I masked everything and wore a full painter suit sliding around under the car.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                              Not indestructible, but definitely tough. You can see how shitty it looked in this video...

Do t know what that is, but it isn’t Line-X. He says it’s probably tennis court paint. What a mess!

Comment

Do t know what that is, but it isn’t Line-X. He says it’s probably tennis court paint. What a mess!
                                He is me, and yeah, I thought it was tennis court paint, but it was definitely a bed liner of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X