The Only McLaren F1 Technician in North America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Only McLaren F1 Technician in North America

Pretty cool article, with some badass pics. I won't post the whole thing, but this is kinda mindblowing:

The tool list to perform a clutch replacement includes a slab of granite. The F1 uses a multi-disc clutch and a small-diameter flywheel with a replaceable friction surface. To eliminate clutch chatter, the new friction surface must be adjusted to less than five hundredths of a millimeter (0.002 in.) of runout. Measuring this requires a dial indicator and a dead-flat surface on which to spin the flywheel. Hines' chunk of granite comes with a certificate, verifying its flatness down to 0.00004 inches.

What an awesome job...and it's obvious it only goes to the most detail oriented people that respect the car.

As for the .002" tolerance...you should take a look at optical tolerances. I've worked with optics for years and it still amazes me that they can even produce parts within my required tolerances.

Comment

that was a good read! i enjoyed it

Comment

I like how the torque wrench only has one number. lol Crazy to think about the level of focus this takes, almost psychotic levels of dedication.

Comment

That's super duper fancy slab of granite is known as a surface plate and they've been around for more than a hundred years. If you need a small one they're pretty cheap on eBay but if you need a bigger one they get dramatically more expensive as they go up in size. I have one that I use to lap oil pump parts or to check pushrods for straightness. A multi disc clutch is also really not that unique, I have one from AP in a street driven second gen RX7 that puts more power to the wheels than any street driven McLaren made.

If you've ever worked on the super high-end exotic cars you come to one conclusion, they're just cars like all the rest.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

That's bad ass.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              That's super duper fancy slab of granite is known as a surface plate and they've been around for more than a hundred years. If you need a small one they're pretty cheap on eBay but if you need a bigger one they get dramatically more expensive as they go up in size. I have one that I use to lap oil pump parts or to check pushrods for straightness. A multi disc clutch is also really not that unique, I have one from AP in a street driven second gen RX7 that puts more power to the wheels than any street driven McLaren made.

If you've ever worked on the super high-end exotic cars you come to one conclusion, they're just cars like all the rest.
              I figured you'd have your entire kitchen counter certified.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                I have one that I use to lap oil pump parts or to check pushrods for straightness.
                Of course you do! You have one of everything!

Comment

Originally posted by big a View Post
                  i figured you'd have your entire kitchen counter certified.
                  lmmfao!

Comment

"He actually told me I shouldn’t work on cars professionally. He said keep it as a hobby."

After nearly 23 years doing auto repair as my profession, and not touching some of my own projects in years, I can relate to that single statement.

I'm sure the guy makes a lot of money and sounds like he really enjoys his work. I'd go crazy working on the same basic car day in and day out.

I don't find it hard to believe that Svo has a proven flat surface to condition oil pump parts. I've used similar stuff to resurface the mating surfaces of Ducati oil pumps, condition machined surfaces, etc. I have tools that literally serve 1 specific purpose, were bought for a single job and sit in a drawer now, etc.

I can relate to several things the guy noted in the article, I just can't say I do it on McClaren's

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      I figured you'd have your entire kitchen counter certified.
                      I made my counter tops, they are wood.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                      Of course you do! You have one of everything!
                      I have had one since I was 15 and my buddies dad showed me how to prep a new oil pump. They are extreamly common.

Just typing in the term "surface plate" on ebay came up with nearly 800 hits.

Get the best deals for surface plate at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I got to say I'm pretty jealous of that guy. I work on a lot of supercars and wish I got paid enough to have that level of detail on all of them. My level of detail is much higher than most on them either way. I get so pissed off when people dont do things correctly on them that I have sworn off even touching some models anymore unless no one else has worked on it. The thing I see often that pisses me off the most is incorrect belly pan bolt placement. Some are black phosphate and some are stainless. They have specific spots but some just install them wherever.
                        Originally posted by Marisa
                        we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                          I got to say I'm pretty jealous of that guy. I work on a lot of supercars and wish I got paid enough to have that level of detail on all of them. My level of detail is much higher than most on them either way. I get so pissed off when people dont do things correctly on them that I have sworn off even touching some models anymore unless no one else has worked on it. The thing I see often that pisses me off the most is incorrect belly pan bolt placement. Some are black phosphate and some are stainless. They have specific spots but some just install them wherever.
                          If I have 2 or less bolts left over from working on a car I'm happy.

Comment

the pictures in the article are beautiful works of art

Comment

My neighbor was the personal mechanic for 25 years for one of the guys in town who had super cars including an F1, Veyron, Countach and Mercy. The Veyron was the one that made headlines when they traded it in at the chevy dealer on a ZR1. In his words its all just nuts and bolts no big deal lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X