cutting U bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting U bolts?

hey there. i need to cut a couple inches off 4 u bolts. what the best way to go about it? cut off wheel, hacksaw, sawzall, take them somewhere? please say take them somewhere!!!!!!!!!! they are for a lift block on my new truck, im only adding a 1 inch lift block, but they obviously send the same u-bolts for the 1inch or 3 inch kits.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Sawzall, chamfer the end then chase with a die. Good to go.

Comment

I would imagine taking them somewhere would cost the same as just buying a new set.

Comment

Cut off wheel, thread the nut on and cut off the extra. When you take the nut off it should clean the threads enough to thread a nut on unless you get hillbilly with the cutoff wheel.

Comment

Agreed with above. Put nut on above where you're going to cut, hit it with a cutoff wheel, then thread the nut off. Hit with a file if you really want to clean up the first couple threads a bit more.

Comment

Clearly that met his need for advice on where to take them.

Comment

I would use an axe.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                Cut off wheel, thread the nut on and cut off the extra. When you take the nut off it should clean the threads enough to thread a nut on unless you get hillbilly with the cutoff wheel.
                This.. I've even done it a couple times. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection.

Hacksaw will work just as well, and is way safer than the spinning wheel of death, but will take much longer.

Comment

I can't vouch for the quality of this particular tool, but the UNIBURR brand does a nice job and works well for jobs like this to chamfer the end of a stud, rod, pipe, etc. I own several of the Uniburr brands parts in the standard and plus model that I use at home and work. Couple videos demoing use and how to properly use one.

Last edited by shumpertdavid; 12-11-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

This.

Torque them down, cut them off 1/2"+ above the nut and let 'er rip.
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

This.

Comment

Working...
                      X