What are yall gonna do about the virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
    At the time US had 14k positive results, and under 1000 deaths. Now well over a million and over 50k deaths. Curious if you still believe this? My hospital is only 61 inpatient beds, 6 bed ICU, and 13 bed ER so we are small, just curious in a big city, a month later if you still feel the same.....

I bet he feels even more strongly about the above statement.

I never checked up . Contact with over 100 customers a week. No mask. Sub 1% of customers a week in TN even wore them.

The VP visited mayo clinic without a mask and you think I'll wear one?

Edited to add. One of the girls I went to nursing school with is pretty high up in a hospital. They cut all of the floor nurses hours. This is where you go for post op and general care. Also, the ICU in said hospital is even below normal.

Comment

• Almost 230,000 dead, but they're "padding the numbers."

Fucking christ. That number is LOW when you consider the complete inaccuracy of China's reporting, and India's inability to test.
      sigpic

Comment

Are they outpatient? I find it hard to believe that anyone, at any hospital with any census would see no positives. We are the only true hospital in our small county, but even as a small hospital we have seen dozens of positives.

I don't believe the number of actual cases are padded, I actually think they are way under the reported number. As far as deaths it depends on which side of the fence you are on. For underlying issues it is typically coded as complications of Covid-19, same as any other case that a person had an underlying issue and the infectious disease just sped up the process, I am on the side that believes those should be listed as a Covid death.
        And I know what you are saying about further funding, it is something to the effect of $13k additional for hospitalization and $39k if they have to be intubated while an inpatient. All this does is entices medicare and medicaid fraud, although each case must meet certain criteria including a positive result.

And I didn't raise the question to Dave to start a pissing match, I was truly interested in what he is seeing in Houston and his opinion. I go back and forth between it is blown out of proportion and scared to go anywhere.
        Yes, these are primarily outpatient Paracentesis and Thoracentesis procedures. No reported Covid cases within the dept., yet, There could be at any time. I'm not saying the hospital hasn't seen any cases. However, I think you have to be positive during this situation. I hear what you are saying from lot of people in terms of the apprehension. I think if you take all the media hype and cut it in half and you might find the truth is somewhere in the middle. Gov. Abbott is already talking about reopening business in a safe fashion. Time to get back to work, folks!

In terms of Houston. There is 5,827 cases with 98 deaths reported. I'm sure it's a mess. Probably people who had diabetes, immunocompromised, or other comorbidity. It would be interesting to get Dave's opinion when he has time.

Comment

• Originally posted by dblack1 View Post

The VP visited mayo clinic without a mask and you think I'll wear one?

Just a thought, but if you're going to choose a person bet your life on emulating, maybe aim a little higher on the IQ scale than a science denying twit. Christ.

Comment

• This mess is hurting my wallet, for sure. I'm in physician staffing (Hospitalists, specifically). When this first started, most of us thought we'd be busier than ever, and that our job security would be untouchable. While there are a few hot spots (NYC, NJ, WA, New Orleans, etc), the majority of the hospitals across the country have seen record-low patient volumes over the past 6 weeks. I talk with docs all day who are practically begging for work. The ones we did have scheduled are getting their shifts cancelled left and right. I get paid commission for each shift worked, so when there are no shifts to book, and the ones I had booked get cancelled, I get squat. Fucking sucks. I guess I should be happy to still have a job. If this continues much longer, I may not.

Meanwhile, the economy in the tiny mountain town I live in depends solely on tourism to survive. The tourist season here runs from the end of May to the middle of September, roughly. We've already had two bad years in a row (fires/smoke in 2018 and avalanche damage in 2019), so we can't afford another bad year.

I hate to put money ahead of lives, but it's now seeming like way more lives have been and will be negatively affected by the restrictions than by the virus itself.

Put me in the "lift the restrictions and let things sort themselves out" camp. If people are willing to take the risk, let them. If people want to stay home, let them. After seeing this unfold, I've pretty much decided that I'm not okay with the government taking away businesses' and workers' rights to earn a living, unless it's to save the country from zombies or something insanely devastating like airborne Ebola, and even then... Some things just shouldn't be taken so far. Now I'm worried that they'll do it again.

Just my $.02.

Comment

• The powersports business is booming, at least ours is. We've been insanely busy. Maybe a combination of stimulus checks, tax refunds, and people at home bored.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                The powersports business is booming, at least ours is. We've been insanely busy. Maybe a combination of stimulus checks, tax refunds, and people at home bored.
                I got a new tire and inspection last weekend at the local honda shop, they said they'd done 40k the day before and couldn't keep up with the demand for everything since about 2 weeks after this all started

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  This mess is hurting my wallet, for sure. I'm in physician staffing (Hospitalists, specifically). When this first started, most of us thought we'd be busier than ever, and that our job security would be untouchable. While there are a few hot spots (NYC, NJ, WA, New Orleans, etc), the majority of the hospitals across the country have seen record-low patient volumes over the past 6 weeks. I talk with docs all day who are practically begging for work. The ones we did have scheduled are getting their shifts cancelled left and right. I get paid commission for each shift worked, so when there are no shifts to book, and the ones I had booked get cancelled, I get squat. Fucking sucks. I guess I should be happy to still have a job. If this continues much longer, I may not.

Meanwhile, the economy in the tiny mountain town I live in depends solely on tourism to survive. The tourist season here runs from the end of May to the middle of September, roughly. We've already had two bad years in a row (fires/smoke in 2018 and avalanche damage in 2019), so we can't afford another bad year.

I hate to put money ahead of lives, but it's now seeming like way more lives have been and will be negatively affected by the restrictions than by the virus itself.

Put me in the "lift the restrictions and let things sort themselves out" camp. If people are willing to take the risk, let them. If people want to stay home, let them. After seeing this unfold, I've pretty much decided that I'm not okay with the government taking away businesses' and workers' rights to earn a living, unless it's to save the country from zombies or something insanely devastating like airborne Ebola, and even then... Some things just shouldn't be taken so far. Now I'm worried that they'll do it again.

Just my $.02.
                  Thanks for the response, I honestly can not argue with any of it. One thing I often wonder is the low volumes due to the restrictions? Did they work?
                  I did notice at my hospital that once talk started of opening back up the ER is filling back up with general patients, pregnancy tests......

Comment

The powersports business is booming, at least ours is. We've been insanely busy. Maybe a combination of stimulus checks, tax refunds, and people at home bored.
                    Even bicycle sales are booming. I went to get a new mountain bike after deciding against tuning the old one up and they said there repair backlog is several weeks.

Everyone planning to stay active while social distancing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                      This mess is hurting my wallet, for sure. I'm in physician staffing (Hospitalists, specifically). When this first started, most of us thought we'd be busier than ever, and that our job security would be untouchable. While there are a few hot spots (NYC, NJ, WA, New Orleans, etc), the majority of the hospitals across the country have seen record-low patient volumes over the past 6 weeks. I talk with docs all day who are practically begging for work. The ones we did have scheduled are getting their shifts cancelled left and right. I get paid commission for each shift worked, so when there are no shifts to book, and the ones I had booked get cancelled, I get squat. Fucking sucks. I guess I should be happy to still have a job. If this continues much longer, I may not.

Just my $.02.
                      I agree with all of this, the problem is that the people making the decisions on this stuff have income and job security, and the more people that become dependent upon them the better. Shut off all income for the governor's, Senate, and house until the country opens back up, and we'll be back in business before the ink dries.

Comment

Good for you, really, but damn it I wanted a sweet deal on a dirtbike. LOL

When I was going though my beach cruiser build period trying out different stuff I got low balled like crazy when selling. Eventually I ended up selling all of them reasonably but it took a while. Some of those people I had contact with were offering list price last month. Like just randomly I started getting messages from them again after a month or two.

I am ready for the lock down to let up. I haven't got out on my mountain bike this year, I just know there will be 1000 idiots at the trails.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Thanks for the response, I honestly can not argue with any of it. One thing I often wonder is the low volumes due to the restrictions? Did they work?
                          I did notice at my hospital that once talk started of opening back up the ER is filling back up with general patients, pregnancy tests......
                          From someone with zero medical knowledge or experiemce, I’m certain it’s a combination of postponing/cancelling elective procedures in anticipation of a wave that never came (outside of NY, NJ, OR, etc) as well as folks scared to go to the doctor. Teledoc has seen a massive uptick in business.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            From someone with zero medical knowledge or experiemce, I’m certain it’s a combination of postponing/cancelling elective procedures in anticipation of a wave that never came (outside of NY, NJ, OR, etc) as well as folks scared to go to the doctor. Teledoc has seen a massive uptick in business.
                            Volumes I was referring to was Covid patients and a huge surge never truly happening. Did the stay at home/social distancing work, is that why there was no real surge? If we had not put the restrictions in place that so many are bitching about would there have been the surge seen in other countries? The fact that we had weeks forewarning and yet we are four times the amount of positives over the next country below us shows that what we tried didn't work, but yet other than a few hotspots there was no true surge across the country.

Comment

Volumes I was referring to was Covid patients and a huge surge never truly happening. Did the stay at home/social distancing work, is that why there was no real surge? If we had not put the restrictions in place that so many are bitching about would there have been the surge seen in other countries? The fact that we had weeks forewarning and yet we are four times the amount of positives over the next country below us shows that what we tried didn't work, but yet other than a few hotspots there was no true surge across the country.
                              [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_9su3VfIM&t=10s[/ame]

Comment

There is no validity to numbers anywhere that I have seen. The more you test, the more you'll find have it. If people are not getting tested (and many aren't) then the numbers are not truly indicative. I saw this morning that a Tyson plant had 890 positives out of 2200 workers. How many showed symptoms? How many had it months ago when we didn't know what it was? I think you'll find globally that a TON more people have been exposed and will test positive but have recovered and are just fine. That means the mortality rate is even lower and we need to carry on as normal. If you stopped all the nonsense counting other deaths as COVID, the numbers would skew even more in favor of opening up. This has been tyranny and has wrecked our economy and hurt the lives of millions unnecessarily.

Comment

Working...
                                X