Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 GT fusible link troubleshooting

UPDATE: New ignition switch fixed it.

It's been a few years since the initial incident but I want to say it first smoked the fusible link trying to start. It has sat for a few years since then and I can't really remember.

I have a yellow wire coming off the solenoid linking several 16 ga fusible links. The burned up one is connecting to a yellow wire going into the harness. I replaced the link (and the other 2 just to be safe) and the new link on the yellow wire burned up as soon as the battery was reconnected. The other links are fine.

Is that yellow wire going to the ignition switch? The wiring diagrams I've found are a little different than mine, but I'm 99% sure this is all stock wiring as this car was my dad's since new. Is replacing the ignition switch the best guess? All of the wiring and fuses look good other than the burned up fusible link. I'm guessing the ignition switch is shorting out causing the fusible link to burn as soon as the battery is connected (ignition off). The light under the hood was on with the battery connected so some things are still working.

Sorry I'm obviously pretty ignorant about electrical. I can take stuff apart and replace parts but want to make sure I'm on the right track.
    Last edited by Shorty; 07-18-2020, 08:50 PM.

That wire powers a relay that powers just about everything for the EFI and it also powers the computer itself.

Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Thank you. Could a faulty power relay cause the fuse link to pop? Like I said I'm stupid about electrical. I understand the wire is feeding power to the relay. I understand there is some sort of problem in the circuit/a short causing the fuse link to burn up. If the fuse link burns up as soon as the battery is connected, is that indicative of a problem either with the relay or wiring between the two? Or can the power be going past the relay at car off, key out condition to a problem elsewhere?

I just don't want to get in over my head or fry anything that isn't already dead.

Comment

This is what made me believe that wire is going to the ignition switch. Obviously it's tied in with the pcm relay but I'm too dumb to understand exactly looking at the schematics. The wires I can see all look good and the car hasn't been messed with before this started so I'm just going to replace the ignition switch and pcm relay and see where that gets me. I want to avoid digging into the wiring too much until I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
          http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...itchWiring.gif

This is what made me believe that wire is going to the ignition switch. Obviously it's tied in with the pcm relay but I'm too dumb to understand exactly looking at the schematics. The wires I can see all look good and the car hasn't been messed with before this started so I'm just going to replace the ignition switch and pcm relay and see where that gets me. I want to avoid digging into the wiring too much until I have to.
          Thats what I would do, the ignition switch controls a bunch of shit and when it starts to come apart all kinds of wierd shit happens.

If you change that ignition switch and still are having problems, I would follow the the wiring harness (pink wire) especially around car body cavities (holes in firewalls, raditalor supports, etc.).
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Just adding this comment to the thread in case anyone ever comes across it from Google

"fuse link A connects to a yellow wire that is a 16 gauge fusible link black in color. this goes to the ignition switch.. but turning on the ignition switch also turns on the EEC main relay on fusible link G

fuse link G connects to the PCM power relay and the PCM.. also on a yellow wire.. fuse link G is a 20 gauge fusible link. blue in color."

The fuse link I'm blowing is A so maybe the ignition switch will fix it.

Comment

Waiting on the new ignition switch but I took the old one out and rewired the fuse link. It didn't burn up when I connected the battery and the alarm chirped which it wasn't doing before so fingers crossed the new ignition switch is the solution.

Comment

That sounds promising. Usually those switches are falling apart but I have seen them deteriorate without showing any signs of being bad. Good luck...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Seems like you might have found the culprit. Those switches are junk.
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X