How do you adjust this door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you adjust this door

The door is not closing right, I went outside and noticed the gap at the top is wider, gets less as you get closer to the bottom (trying to word this so it is not sexual!).
    I tried all the screws, all are tight. It is scraping the opposite side whne it closes, so over the last year, it has actually worn down a part where the screw head hits the frame on that opposite side.

You can see here the wider gap at the top

Opposite side where the door gets "stuck" when closing it, there is a screw hitting the edge of the frame (inside the doors edge).
    Last edited by yellowstang; 07-18-2018, 02:46 PM.

Looks to be a storm door? I'm assuming it is a metal frame, attached to the door jamb/brick mold in some way? If this is the case, I would think that the hinges are wearing out causing it to sag at the top hinge and causing your issue. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that or not. IIRC they have some sort of plastic bushing at the top and bottom of each hinge, I'm thinking that would be your wear point and potential cause for the issue.

If you can see the fasteners for the door frame, you may try loosening the lower screws and shimming around the bottom and middle hinge, moving the bottom of the door closer to the opposite side of the frame, thus squaring it up as the door closes.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Time for a new house.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        Looks to be a storm door? I'm assuming it is a metal frame, attached to the door jamb/brick mold in some way? If this is the case, I would think that the hinges are wearing out causing it to sag at the top hinge and causing your issue. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that or not. IIRC they have some sort of plastic bushing at the top and bottom of each hinge, I'm thinking that would be your wear point and potential cause for the issue.

If you can see the fasteners for the door frame, you may try loosening the lower screws and shimming around the bottom and middle hinge, moving the bottom of the door closer to the opposite side of the frame, thus squaring it up as the door closes.
        Yeah, there is a bigger gap at the top when the door is open, but the hinges are part of the frame, and have 2 screws into the door itself, so can't replace just hinges. It's used a lot, and is 11 years old, may be time to replace it.

Originally posted by BradM View Post
        Time for a new house.
        Or a wider door frame! I'll use my dremel and cut out part of it.

Comment

Have you tried hitting it?

Comment

Actually, I did hit it! Didn't make any difference tho

Comment

Got the same problem at my house. And its because of the foundation. I'm gonna have to spend $18k to get the foundation all lined back up. Someday. Not today.
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                Got the same problem at my house. And its because of the foundation. I'm gonna have to spend $18k to get the foundation all lined back up. Someday. Not today.
                This was my first thought, though after 11 years of use, it may very well be a worn out top hing causing it to sag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

The interior door is OK, it closes fine. I think it is just worn out, most likely.
                  Having 3 - 4 dogs for all 11 years, they go out and in a lot, it gets used many times every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    This was my first thought, though after 11 years of use, it may very well be a worn out top hing causing it to sag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                    The interior door is OK, it closes fine. I think it is just worn out, most likely.
                    Having 3 - 4 dogs for all 11 years, they go out and in a lot, it gets used many times every day.
                    Everyone blames the foundation yet it's the lateral bracing 99% of the time. Houses are not effectively or adequately laterally braced here -- they aren't up to code standards. The walls experience racking over time thus making doors and windows stick. It's a problem with virtually every house built here.

Now that we have covered that, how do you fix this problem. Here's the simple fix. Find some cardboard. Seriously, cardboard. Undo the bottom hinge from the frame. Cut a piece of cardboard to go behind the hinge. Try to make it the same size or slightly smaller. Reinstall the hinge. You may need longer screws and you may need to shim more than one hinge. It's possible you may need 2 shims on the bottom and one on the next higher one. It will correct the problem of the sag and make the door work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      Now that we have covered that, how do you fix this problem. Here's the simple fix. Find some cardboard. Seriously, cardboard. Undo the bottom hinge from the frame. Cut a piece of cardboard to go behind the hinge. Try to make it the same size or slightly smaller. Reinstall the hinge. You may need longer screws and you may need to shim more than one hinge. It's possible you may need 2 shims on the bottom and one on the next higher one. It will correct the problem of the sag and make the door work properly.
                      Carboard, this is DFWMustangs! I'll shim it with some gold plates.

Comment

Working...
                      X