Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bad idea to buy a vehicle the first year of a redesign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bad idea to buy a vehicle the first year of a redesign?

Well it looks like I'm going to be in the market for a newer truck. I'm sick of dicking with the Lightning and I haven't even touched my 07 GMC either. But, I need a damn truck so I can move on with some other projects.

I though about upgrading to a 2012/2013 Sierra Denali but after looking at some online, I think that would be too close to a lateral change as far as aesthetics goes.

Since I'd like this to be my last truck purchase for a very long time, I'm also considering a 2014 Denali but this is the first year of the redesign. I've always heard that it's best to wait a year or two so the mfg can work out the bugs. My price range puts these just out of the mfg warranty and 2015's cost too much.

What's the general rule of thumb? Skip the first year of a redesign?

I usually do as I let everyone deal and figure out the issues, so by the time I buy, all that b.s. is engineered out.

Comment

I believe its more with electronics than with hard panels, like seats, glass, etc. Engines, transmissions, rear ends are all continuation hardware. Unless its direct injection, cylinder deactivation , things like that, I would roll with it.
      Newer is mo better, I still can't believe the things our newer '17 mustang has compared to my '12 GT, it has memory seats, heated/cooled seats, stitched dash, leather everywhere, blind spot tech in the mirrors, rear/forward cross traffic detection, WiFi, HD radio with Sub, Nav, 4 piston brakes, all kinds of electronics for traction, IRS, geez I could be here all day.
      After the discounts it was the same as my '12, no 5.0, but that EB is 300+HP and over 30 MPG.
      Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-27-2017, 12:22 PM.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

That is my rule...I never buy first year of redesign...2nd/3rd year have most bugs worked out...I agree with H!
        Originally posted by Da Prez
        Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
        Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

imho it is. If I can, I try to buy the last year of a design.
          WH

Comment

With GM I'd never buy a first year of anything. The second year it's produced will always have more features and whatever problems they could reasonably address would have been.

Comment

Why not buy a new one with the 20% off msrp for the same price? It won't be a Denali, but it'll be brand new with a decent v8 and a full warranty.

Comment

Brand new that is a good rule since you are basically playing russian roulette. Since you are looking at a used vehicle, google that specific vehicle and look up known problems. Should be a lot of info for 3 or 4 year old truck available.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Buying a vehicle with plans to keep it a long time... as long as you don't plan on modding it, go new with full warranty behind it.
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Yes. Research the model and buy the one with the Brembo brakes AND magnetic suspension, meaning features improve as the years go by.

Comment

I have owned a 14 and a 15. Both have been great trucks. The biggest issue with 14+ gm 1500s is a vibration that most are feeling around 80. It either has it or doesn't. Both of mine are super smooth rides. You will know it if you drive one with it. That said go drive before buying and ask for an extended test drive, maybe the week or weekend. Sometimes a few have had problems with the radio not working, it controls all kinds of truck functions. The only problem i have had is a seat movement. It will pop like 1/8 inch when pulling in or out of a driveway. Fixed it for a couple bucks with a hose clamp and gasket. Very happy with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        I believe its more with electronics than with hard panels, like seats, glass, etc. Engines, transmissions, rear ends are all continuation hardware. Unless its direct injection, cylinder deactivation , things like that, I would roll with it.
                        Newer is mo better, I still can't believe the things our newer '17 mustang has compared to my '12 GT, it has memory seats, heated/cooled seats, stitched dash, leather everywhere, blind spot tech in the mirrors, rear/forward cross traffic detection, WiFi, HD radio with Sub, Nav, 4 piston brakes, all kinds of electronics for traction, IRS, geez I could be here all day.
                        After the discounts it was the same as my '12, no 5.0, but that EB is 300+HP and over 30 MPG.
                        This was kinda my thoughts with the drive train being the same. But some of the electronics are pretty outrageous to repair. And comparing the 13 to 14 model, yeah, lots of new features that I think would help me want to keep it for a long time.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        imho it is. If I can, I try to buy the last year of a design.
                        Kinda why I'm considering the 13 model but the more I look at them, the more I see the same ol' truck I already have with the exception of NAV, rear camera, leather, heated seats, nicer stereo, BT, crew cab, 4x4/AWD, etc.

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                        Buying a vehicle with plans to keep it a long time... as long as you don't plan on modding it, go new with full warranty behind it.
                        I most likely wouldn't mod it beyond CAI...maybe exhaust and a tune once the 6.2 gets boring. I'm reading comments online about how GM really put a lot of "grandma, safe driving" features on them.

I looked at new ones (online) last night. Considering that I want leather and would prefer 4x4, even with a non Denali, I don't think I'll be near my price range. I'l check th

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
                        Yes. Research the model and buy the one with the Brembo brakes AND magnetic suspension, meaning features improve as the years go by.
                        Brembo brakes?!? damn, didn't know they were coming like that. Magnetic suspension....you mean I can't slap a set of Bilsteins on anymore?

Originally posted by smrr1 View Post
                        I have owned a 14 and a 15. Both have been great trucks. The biggest issue with 14+ gm 1500s is a vibration that most are feeling around 80. It either has it or doesn't. Both of mine are super smooth rides. You will know it if you drive one with it. That said go drive before buying and ask for an extended test drive, maybe the week or weekend. Sometimes a few have had problems with the radio not working, it controls all kinds of truck functions. The only problem i have had is a seat movement. It will pop like 1/8 inch when pulling in or out of a driveway. Fixed it for a couple bucks with a hose clamp and gasket. Very happy with mine.
                        Thanks for the info, I'll keep a look out when test driving them.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                          Brembo brakes?!? damn, didn't know they were coming like that. Magnetic suspension....you mean I can't slap a set of Bilsteins on anymore?
                          I was speaking figuratively, comparing the features of a late model Camaro. Brembo was added and then Magnetic suspension are features that have been added as the model years have rolled out to Camaro and I think 2015 Denali already has magnetic ride control. My thinking was based on how Corvette high performance features trickle down and eventually are put on Camaros, and then eventually trickle down to Denali.
                          One of my favorite places to do research on model year changes as a quick overview is msnautos.com. You can see common failures and feature changes by model year.

Comment

Well seems like most of the 14-15 Denali's are equipped with the 5.3l engine. The 6.2l was one of the main factors for wanting to get into a Denali so I may be able to save money by getting into a regular SLT or similar Sierra.

I think I will spring for at least a 2014 though. Seems like a better idea in the long run.

Comment

Does anyone know what the going APR is on a used vehicle for someone with a 700 score?

Comment

Working...
                              X