Finally shot my DPMS Recon for groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally shot my DPMS Recon for groups

I've had my Recon for a while but just had flip ups on it. I finally got some glass for it, Vortex Viper PST. I only have about 60 total rounds through it. But the groups started tightening up around 40 or so.

Anyway here is the gun and one of my better groups. I was using Federal GMM 168gr. BTW, the factory trigger is terrible! SSA-E en route. The top right is a subsonic round I shot to check poi shift. My gun apparently doesn't like this particular sub load as it is clearly tumbling.

Last edited by JamisonFRC; 04-17-2014, 01:11 PM.
    2007 Chevy TBSS

Originally posted by JamisonFRC View Post
    I've had my Recon for a while but just had flip ups on it. I finally got some glass for it, Vortex Viper PST. I only have about 60 total rounds through it. But the groups started tightening up around 40 or so.

Anyway here is the gun and one of my better groups. I was using Federal GMM 168gr. BTW, the factory trigger is terrible! SSA-E en route. The top right is a subsonic round I shot to check poi shift. My gun apparently doesn't like this particular sub load as it is clearly tumbling.

lol, you have exactly the same gun as I do, even the same optics. Except I pieced mine together over a few years, but it's exactly the same parts sans handguard/stock And the best part is you have exactly the same complaint. The trigger is complete and total shit.

The DPMS recon barrel is 1:10, I'm guessing that subsonic round was a 200gr+ projectile? Probably not enough twist for that heavy of a bullet.
    Last edited by CJ; 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

They were Cor-Bon 185gr. I fired three rounds of it and all three were hard extractions. Not sure what was going on with it.

Other than the trigger, I'm pretty impressed with the rifle. Especially the out of the box accuracy.

Good looking rifle CJ!
      Last edited by JamisonFRC; 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM.
      2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

They were Cor-Bon 185gr. I fired three rounds of it and all three were hard extractions. Not sure what was going on with it.

Other than the trigger, I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy.
        hmm... that's weird. A 1:10 should stabilize a 185gr... Are you sure it keyholed, or was the paper not supported?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

All three tumbled. I have some S&B subs but I didn't take them with me on this outing.
          2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

I shot those cor-bon 185's out of my lr-308 and they didn't tumble...Are the LR's a different twist rate?
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
              I shot those cor-bon 185's out of my lr-308 and they didn't tumble...Are the LR's a different twist rate?
              Well any barrel can have a different twist rate. What is your barrel's twist rate?

Comment

2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  Well any barrel can have a different twist rate. What is your barrel's twist rate?
                  Best I can tell is 1:10 16" barrel.
                  "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Comment

Any problems with extraction?
                    2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Yeah that's the standard twist for a .308.

Comment

lol damn, remind me to take the suppressor off when I try anything heavier than 168gr.

Comment

Any problems with extraction?
                          No they came out easy. Didn't cycle the bolt of course.

Comment

Possibly something wrong with this particular box of ammo. It was very difficult to extract all three rounds. The Federal ran perfect.
                            2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Working...
                            X