Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building my first PC on a budget...need opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15% of your total towers cost in parts is how I have been charging and 50-100 dollar consultation/ parts list fee if you need one. $150 minimum. Custom water loops, GPU BIOS flashing and tuning, case mods, stable high overclocking, de-lidding and things that take days to tune are all extra.
    sigpic

Comment

So I have everything except a GPU. I've been told "You're a retard if you don't get the GTX 1070." For the price and perfomance, I've read and watched some online reviews that pretty much confirm that.

BTW, yes, I found a 480gb SSD for under $100. Sitting in my closet right now with a bunch of other stuff.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

..Best Buy has the Geforce GTX 980 right now for 449.00 - I was gonna go that route for the price.

*_Scroll down for a coupon deal from HP.com for building a PC_*

I've been researching and using the link OP for building your own PC with the amazon links..
        Amazon Cart ended up being around 1100.00. Then I got impatient when my vive arrived and went to best buy yesterday to pickup that GTX 980 and see if I could find a system for around ~600.00 and be around the same price point, but perhaps making some compromises.

Ended up with from Best Buy:

- 449.00 GEFORCE GTX 980
        - 649.00 Lenovo Ideacenter 700 i5-6400 8GB RAM 1TSATA
        - 82.99 corsair cx750

Ended up being bit over 1200.00 after taxes.

Lenovo uses 10 pin ATX motherboard power connecters like some serious *holes, so the only way you can upgrade the PS is a custom 10 to 24 pin connector and jumping two cables over with a paperclip.

So all this is going back to best buy today.

*Found Coupon "SPRING2016" for HP.com (30% off on the combo below)

HP ENVY 750se Core i7-6700 Quad SKYLAKE Desktop + 6GB GTX 980Ti GPU $1127
        Posted 20 hours ago by Sourabh Kalantri Expires in 1 day
        HP.com has the newly redesigned HP ENVY 750se Intel Core i7-6700 Quad-Core SKYLAKE Gaming Desktop Computer w/ 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti Video Card for a low $1126.99 Free Shipping after following the steps below. Tax in most states.

This HP Skylake desktop configuration normally sells for $1610, so you're saving 30% off list price. Optional upgrades include Core i7-6700K unlocked CPU, up to 32GB DDR4-2133MHz RAM, 512GB SSD, and more.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-env...46vxV2xNk4TiYA, then click on Customize & Buy
        Under Graphics Card, select 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti Video Card (+$580)
        Upgrade to 500W Power supply (+$30)
        Click on Add To Cart
        At shopping cart, apply Coupon Code: "SPRING2016" (Exp soon)
        Final price will be $1126.99 Free Shipping (plus taxes)
        Newly updated chassis - plastic front panel replaced with brushed metal faceplate
        Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz (Turbo Boost to 4GHz) Quad-Core SKYLAKE CPU
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB Dedicated Graphics Card w/ HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI
        16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM, 2TB HDD, DVD burner, 802.11n WiFi + Bluetooth
        Windows 10 Home 64-bit operating system, 1yr HP warranty
        500W power supply, Gigabit Ethernet, 7-in-1 card reader, Keyboard/Mouse

So the way I configured mine after the coupon ended up being a little over my original amazon cart, but now it will be built for me, come with a license, and have a warranty..

Oh and note you can build an i5 machine too for cheaper. It has to be certain ones so if you don't see the 980ti try the next model up.. So you can build a PC here for right at 1K that can support the vive and most of the games out and been good for a few years.
        WRX

Comment

Jeez Joey, they charge +$200 for 8gb more ram, +$200 if you want a small ssd, the psu upgrade is in rated power only(doesn't list if it's bronze/silver/gold rated), doesn't list if there will be additional cooling capacity for the cpu and if the bios is locked or not...

Are you unwilling to put one together yourself right now? It seems that you'd be getting the short end of the stick on this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            Jeez Joey, they charge +$200 for 8gb more ram, +$200 if you want a small ssd, the psu upgrade is in rated power only(doesn't list if it's bronze/silver/gold rated), doesn't list if there will be additional cooling capacity for the cpu and if the bios is locked or not...

Are you unwilling to put one together yourself right now? It seems that you'd be getting the short end of the stick on this deal.
            That 750 i7 deal includes 16GB of ram, and it showed +76 for the SSD and another +76 for a 2ndary 1 TB:

My build was:

HP Wireless 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 with Bluetooth® M.2 NIC
            No Additional Security Software
            HP ENVY 750se Desktop PC
            16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
            Home and Home Office Insert
            6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]
            1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 3.5 2nd HDD
            Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
            500W Power supply
            6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
            7-in-1 Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Top), Audio [Top 2USB2.0, 2USB3.0]
            Microsoft® Office Trial
            HP USB volume control Keyboard and USB Optical Mouse
            256GB 3D SSD
            Integrated Sound
            SuperMulti DVD Burner

Came out to 1,224.00 total from HP. (after coupon)

If I build those same specs on Amazon, I get 1362.34 and this doesn't include keyboard/mouse, wireless NIC, W10 license, media card reader, one year warranty..

I don't plan on over clocking right now, and I hope the cooler they put in these will be good enough, that's a good point though.
            Last edited by mustang_revival; 06-05-2016, 10:12 AM.
            WRX

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
              So I have everything except a GPU. I've been told "You're a retard if you don't get the GTX 1070." For the price and perfomance, I've read and watched some online reviews that pretty much confirm that.

BTW, yes, I found a 480gb SSD for under $100. Sitting in my closet right now with a bunch of other stuff.
              Where'd you find a 480gb SSD for under $100 and what brand?
              Originally posted by Jester
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
              He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
              Originally posted by Denny
              What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
              FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

why not just get a fire tv and use moonlight + nvidia shield? Way cheaper and less complex.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Where'd you find a 480gb SSD for under $100 and what brand?
                  Adata 480GB Premier is $94 after the rebate on NewEgg

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                    why not just get a fire tv and use moonlight + nvidia shield? Way cheaper and less complex.
                    Troll post?
                    sigpic

Comment

I use my amazon fire to play battlefront, overwatch, etc on my big ass 4k tv, pretty sure it can handle emulated games.

Comment

What are you using to run overwatch on maxed settings at 4k?
                        sigpic

Comment

I have dual titans.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                            I have dual titans.

http://abe.cx/titans.jpg
                            How is that cheaper than the computer build posted above?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                              How is that cheaper than the computer build posted above?
                              The person requested to play emulated games on their TV and some other media related tasks. I use my desktop computer and stream over nvidia shield protocol and play my stuff on the TV via Amazon Fire. I use plex to stream video from my file server. Having a Media PC is archaic these days, hell even my TV has Plex built into the OS, I could probably download moonlight straight to my smart tv and stream games that way and not need an amazon or apple tv. Its like helping someone build a car computer to play mp3's.

If they really need a computer, they could get a raspberry pi, install that windows stuff thats out for it now and have more than enough power to do all the things they requested and be under $50.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                                So, I want to build a PC that is basically a media center for my living room. I want to use it for movies, general tom-foolery, and maybe play some games. Just bought an xbone for most of my gaming needs, but I want to tap into the PC gaming world a bit, too. I don't care if it runs at a billion frames per second or isn't 4k at this point. I found this article http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-ga...0-dollars-2016 and I'm very early in the stage of all of it. Just bought the case from Amazon. I know y'all are about PC master-race for the most part so I figured I could get some tips on building a good (not great gaming PC) that will be awesome to have hooked up to the living room TV.

Ideally, I'll download a bunch of emulators for some classic gaming fun, while being able to play some newer games.
                                He also wants to be able to play newer games...or are you to busy trying to sound like a prick to read the whole sentence?
                                QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Working...
                                X