Graco TrueCoat 360 Paint Sprayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graco TrueCoat 360 Paint Sprayer

Anyone have any experience with a Graco TrueCoat 360vsp Paint Sprayer? I have a small rental property that will need all new paint in the inside and was wondering if this sprayer would work well for painting all the walls rather than having to roll them.

My father has a handheld Graco like that as well as the X7 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-X7-...2805/100634350)

That I used to paint most of my house. The Handheld will be ok for walls once you get into a groove of spraying. The X7 was worlds better/easier as I could do an entire room without stopping where as the handheld one you have the weight of the paint/gun/etc and then you have to stop to refill.

For Ceilings (if you spray them) I'd spend the money on an x7 type painter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
      My father has a handheld Graco like that as well as the X7 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-X7-...2805/100634350)

That I used to paint most of my house. The Handheld will be ok for walls once you get into a groove of spraying. The X7 was worlds better/easier as I could do an entire room without stopping where as the handheld one you have the weight of the paint/gun/etc and then you have to stop to refill.

For Ceilings (if you spray them) I'd spend the money on an x7 type painter.
      that right there, especially painting a lot of area(s). Keep someone filling the 5 gal bucket it sucks from and spray until your done.

They are available used if a few bucks makes the difference.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Pick up that used one for sure, get a new tip and go to town. Throw it in the garage and you will use it again or someone you know will be able to use it. If not throw it back on CL and sell it for what you paid for it more than likely.

Comment

You still have to backroll after spraying... no way around it if you want it to look decent.

Get a decent little sprayer. If you buy used plan on buying a new gun and some tips. They are worth every penny you spend on them.

I use a graco 395 so that I can spray latex or anything laquer based. You can find them used for a few hundred bucks.

The home depot grade stuff still works good... such as the x7 but they are not rebuildable like the 390 or 490 series. if you are going to use it once a year then buy the Home depot grade stuff. They will do what you need and you can buy one new for a good price. If you buy it used... make sure it looks like new or else you're going to spend more $ on filters, guns, tips, hose, whips than you would have if you bought new.

Those cup style sprays are fine for small projects but if you are planning on an entire interior or exterior... you will hate it due to refilling so often. I wouldn't even use one for a single room. I could roll it faster than you could spray it with one of those. You will need some good drops put down to protect your floor, cabinets, etc. If the house is furnished and you're living in it... I wouldn't even bother spraying. You can cut in and roll it just as efficiently. Paint out of a 5gal bucket with a grate

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
            You still have to backroll after spraying... no way around it if you want it to look decent.

Get a decent little sprayer. If you buy used plan on buying a new gun and some tips. They are worth every penny you spend on them.

I use a graco 395 so that I can spray latex or anything laquer based. You can find them used for a few hundred bucks.

The home depot grade stuff still works good... such as the x7 but they are not rebuildable like the 390 or 490 series.

Those cup style sprays are fine for small projects but if you are planning on an entire interior or exterior... you will hate it due to refilling so often. I wouldn't even use one for a single room. I could roll it faster than you could spray it with one of those. You will need some good drops put down to protect your floor, cabinets, etc. If the house is furnished and you're living in it... I wouldn't even bother spraying. You can cut in and roll it just as efficiently. Paint out of a 5gal bucket with a grate
            Never seen it done.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have one, but it is not the 360 version. I love the thing. Its so fast and easy to clean after a little bit of painting. Id recommend one if you can find it on sale. I bought a refurb online for $99 or so

Back rolling recommended by most professional painters. I did not back roll my house and I have level 5 (smooth) drywall and I think it looks fine...minus the one area in the hallway with a couple runs I didnt notice until it was way to late

Comment

If you're going to back roll, you might as well roll it to begin with.

Comment

The guys who don't back roll are hacks or painting avg to low end homes. Backrolling creates a much better finish and can't even be argued. Exteriors with sheet siding should all be back rolled as well

You can spray and back roll faster than you can roll

I don't know any above avg painters who spray any interior walls. Ceilings get sprayed (if new construction) and back rolled with two coats in opposite directions. All trim gets sprayed with 3 coats first. Then you wait for it to cure, tape it off, and roll it. To go back and spray those ways you are going to create way more of a mess or do a lot more prep to cover everything. Anyone who rolls from a 5 gal bucket and is experienced can go plenty fast enough. My boss could roll fast enough to keep up with 3 or 4 of us cutting in.
                  Last edited by akfodysvn; 02-18-2017, 12:41 PM.

Comment

The guys who don't back roll are hacks or painting avg to low end homes. Backrolling creates a much better finish and can't even be argued. Exteriors with sheet siding should all be back rolled as well

I don't know any above avg painters who spray any interior walls. Ceilings get sprayed (if new construction) and back rolled with two coats in opposite directions. All trim gets sprayed with 3 coats first. Then you wait for it to cure, tape it off, and roll it. To go back and spray those ways you are going to create way more of a mess or do a lot more prep to cover everything. Anyone who rolls from a 5 gal bucket and is experienced can go plenty fast enough. My boss could roll fast enough to keep up with 3 or 4 of us cutting in.
                    Rookie

Comment

My non back rolled walls and ceiling look great. Rolling it would have left a texture in the paint

btw to the OP - google it but I believe you can get regular tips to fit in this gun, you just have to trim some plastic notch. I needed a fine finish tip to spray trim and a couple doors. Works great

Comment

I used a Wagner power painter in the late 90's, it was great!

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          My non back rolled walls and ceiling look great. Rolling it would have left a texture in the paint

btw to the OP - google it but I believe you can get regular tips to fit in this gun, you just have to trim some plastic notch. I needed a fine finish tip to spray trim and a couple doors. Works great
                          You can get away with spraying a ceiling due to the knock down and flat paint in new construction. If it's a repaint they get rolled in 2 coats in opposite directions based on where you view the room most often

I would bet most painters could spot your sprayed walls....your overlap would be clearly visible and the fingers on your pattern always leave their mark if not backrolled. If they are ugly textured walls then spray away. Rolling leaves stipple which is a good thing. Flat paint finishes with less than an eggshell

Whatever makes you happy though. Just friendly advice for the best job possible. Don't want to take it... no problem.

That kind of work would never fly on the jobs I used to do for my old boss. I'm just a hack anyway.

Comment

You can get away with spraying a ceiling due to the knock down and flat paint in new construction. If it's a repaint they get rolled in 2 coats in opposite directions based on where you view the room most often

I would bet most painters could spot your sprayed walls....your overlap would be clearly visible and the fingers on your pattern always leave their mark if not backrolled. If they are ugly textured walls then spray away. Rolling leaves stipple which is a good thing. Flat paint finishes with less than an eggshell

Whatever makes you happy though. Just friendly advice for the best job possible. Don't want to take it... no problem.

That kind of work would never fly on the jobs I used to do for my old boss. I'm just a hack anyway.
                            Good spray gun, one coat of good primer, one coat of good paint, no rolling should be done.

Comment

I don't know if this makes a difference but akfodysvn is in Kansas. I'm just wondering if they have at crap load of textured walls up there that we have all over Texas. I could see a need to back roll the paint if the walls are smooth to get the best look.

That said, I'm not a pro painter but I play one in every time I paint a room in my house. I've got a Grace and I've never seen the need for using a roller after painting. It always looks great to me and frankly that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                              X