Water Heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater?

Took this pic last summer. The tube is located on the side of the house that is closest to the heater. It has always had a steady drip but it appears to be getting worse, so says the tenant. Could this white tube be connected to the water heater? They say they've noticed an increase in their water bill
    .....bro....

A/c drain?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

i'd say pvc is the a/c drip pan drain and the copper is for the Temp and Pressure valve on the water heater.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

But it's always dripping, even when the AC is off. There's another similar spout by the front door that I assumed was for AC. I could be wrong.
        .....bro....

Comment

go up in the attic and trace it from where it comes up that wall and see where it goes.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

go find the ac unit and look at the pan underneath, it could be clogged up causing the constant drain.
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Damn. It's been leaking for years and I never thought it could be the AC. I sure hope not. Do water heaters even have a spout leading outdoors?
              .....bro....

Comment

yes that copper line is your temp. and pressure relieve valve coming off the tank. while you are jacking with it you should pop it off a couple times to make sure its working.
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                  Damn. It's been leaking for years and I never thought it could be the AC. I sure hope not. Do water heaters even have a spout leading outdoors?
                  The A\C isn't "leaking" it is the condensation drain for the a/c. Especially when it is extremely humid it will drain more. It is possible that one Pvc pipe is the main drain and the other is the emergency drain pan under the unit. That is how mine is setup.

As far as their water bill, have them check the little needle on the water meter with everything off, if its moving there is a leak.
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

I'll probably have to head out there tomorrow so I'll get in the attic and check the AC and turn off the water to check for a leak. Great advice, thanks guys!
                    .....bro....

Comment

if you have two separate PVC lines coming out of the brick, odds are, that one is the water heater drip pan drain and the other is the A/C.

Where is the furnace/air handler located? Most newer homes have them flown in the attic and you generally only get the secondary drain line (drip pan drain line) coming out of the exterior. The primary gets tied into a drain inside of the home to prevent a constant wet spot, though, due to the age of the home, this could be different.

It should be incredibly simple to tell which unit has the water coming from it. Walk to water heater, check drain pan for moisture. Yes? This is your culprit. No, proceed to Furnace. Check drain pain, moisture present in drain pan? Yes, this is your culprit.

If either of them have been leaking, at least, since last summer, constantly, you are on the verge of rusting the pan out I'm sure. I would ask them to do a quick diagnostic and text you a picture of each. IF the increase in the water bill is tied to this drip, it is the water heater, no doubt. Which means you are on the verge of tank failure.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for reminding me how helpful this website used to be. I'm gonna head out there tomorrow morning.
                        .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                          Awesome! Thank you for reminding me how helpful this website used to be. I'm gonna head out there tomorrow morning.
                          There are still a few of us around that don't partake in all of the BS and help each other out! If you have any questions tomorrow, holler at me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            There are still a few of us around that don't partake in all of the BS and help each other out! If you have any questions tomorrow, holler at me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                            x2 or im always on fb if you need to msg me there and send pics, i can walk you through it.

if its near richardson, holla at a brotha
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Also, if it were the water heater, the water would be warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X