DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Default Why shouldnt I get a Judge?

I got some gift cards at work for Cabelas and the only 2 things I could think of that I wanted were a Taurus judge and a new thermal imager. For the resolution I want... the thermal imager will be like 7x as expensive so the giftcard wont come close to covering it.

But it will cover a fair amount of a judge and it's a gun I've wanted for awhile no. I've used my grandfather's and it was great.

Why shouldn't I just buy one? Aside from the Taurus hate...is there anything out there better if you already have a few pistols, ar and shotgun?
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member

If you wouldn't feel well armed with a pump 410 shotgun then a judge is not for you.

In my opinion they're not worth carrying but not because it's a Taurus, I actually like Taurus
Old 02-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #3
Gasser64
Lifer

Cause you're too fat for a judge, that's why! Punk!! Google the definition of starvation.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
S_K
Drive fast - live slow

They are a decent gun for what they are. (but then everything is really a niche weapon) I use mine for a tractor gun/walking around the property gun. Shotshells for snakes and small varmints, slugs for bigger varmints. I don't think it makes a very good personal defense gun though. I prefer something with a little more capacity. I also carry a DW .357 setup the same way. Not sure which I prefer.
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
They are a decent gun for what they are. (but then everything is really a niche weapon) I use mine for a tractor gun/walking around the property gun. Shotshells for snakes and small varmints, slugs for bigger varmints. I don't think it makes a very good personal defense gun though. I prefer something with a little more capacity. I also carry a DW .357 setup the same way. Not sure which I prefer.
Very similar to what I want it for. That and fun stuff for sure.

I think ill go ahead and pick one up this weekend then!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
BradM
Bad Santa

You should pick up one of these too!
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-hs12-shotgun/
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
You should pick up one of these too!
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-hs12-shotgun/
Ehhh I already have a 12 gauge auto loader. If I were to get a new 12ga....I would get a nicer OU for skeet. Not some Joe Biden home defense 12ga special.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
red89notch
Lifer

The Smith and Wesson Governor is better built and holds 6 rounds but a lot more expensive.

truth.
red89notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
BradM
Bad Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89notch View Post
The Smith and Wesson Governor is better built and holds 6 rounds but a lot more expensive.
And is still retarded. Wastes of money.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89notch View Post
I'd have a lot more respect for that gun if it weren't a blatant ripoff of the judge. It's supposed to be the other way around.

Also the price...the judge is almost too cheap not to buy while the governer is almost halfway to a new thermal.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
I'd have a lot more respect for that gun if it weren't a blatant ripoff of the judge. It's supposed to be the other way around.

Also the price...the judge is almost too cheap not to buy while the governer is almost halfway to a new thermal.
Considering how there really hasn't been any innovation in firearms since John Moss Browning died you could say that all guns are a blatant rip-off of one another's technology. I'm nearly 50 and the only innovation in firearms in my lifetime have been in the materials firearms are made out of and even that began quite a few years before I was born. Bullets are much better than they have ever been, optics are much better, and gunpowder's have gotten better. The guns themselves haven't changed much but the techniques used to manufacture them have evolved considerably.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Considering how there really hasn't been any innovation in firearms since John Moss Browning died you could say that all guns are a blatant rip-off of one another's technology. I'm nearly 50 and the only innovation in firearms in my lifetime have been in the materials firearms are made out of and even that began quite a few years before I was born. Bullets are much better than they have ever been, optics are much better, and gunpowder's have gotten better. The guns themselves haven't changed much but the techniques used to manufacture them have evolved considerably.
Commercial Gun tech certainly hasnt seen a step change as you mentioned, but even the manner in which S&W named their copy is stupid. I guess they went all in on just being a copy gun only slightly better.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #13
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

...Because there's thousands of better options that aren't novelties.
Trip McNeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
...Because there's thousands of better options that aren't novelties.
That's honestly been why I havent gotten one so far and it's been a great reason. But literally now nothing excites me and I have the typical basics covered unless I jump way up in price for something exotic. Then at that price point I would just get a badass thermal.

I like the idea of a snake/pest gun that's fun and unique to shoot.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #15
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

Quote:
Track down an older semiautomatic shotgun and make a project out of it. Even if it turns into a turd it will still be a better option than a shotgun revolver.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #16
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Track down an older semiautomatic shotgun and make a project out of it. Even if it turns into a turd it will still be a better option than a shotgun revolver.
I already have a semiauto shotgun
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

Quote:
That's honestly been why I havent gotten one so far and it's been a great reason. But literally now nothing excites me and I have the typical basics covered unless I jump way up in price for something exotic. Then at that price point I would just get a badass thermal.

Well what are you exactly looking for in terms of use? Aside from collecting, I look at every firearm i own as a tool for something different, especially my hunting long guns.
Trip McNeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

Quote:
I already have a semiauto shotgun
I got dozens of them to but that doesn't stop me from adopting strays for a new weekend project.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #19
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Well what are you exactly looking for in terms of use? Aside from collecting, I look at every firearm i own as a tool for something different, especially my hunting long guns.
First I'm just looking for a fun gun under 500-600. I have all the guns I "need" and this was one of the few that i just really liked shooting from a novelty standpoint.

I also like the versatility as a general defense weapon from animals and humans without the worry of it going through every wall in my house.

Lastly, it's a shotgun that's going to spread fast and lose velocity quickly as well which means I may even be able to use it in a simulation video for explicit dynamics.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
Stephen
Extremely custom title

It’s your $$, buy whatever in the hell you want! If you have the basic needs guns covered already, there’s nothing wrong with buying a toy if it puts a smile on your face

Tags
al p shoots blanks, alp stole nays woman, nay=convict=no guns, ruff cnc .88 magnum, ruff need to cnc brains, ss junk receives in rear, svo has 10" barrel