Probate a will?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate a will?

Sorry fellas... I normally wouldn't ask but I need advice. My parents have a will that states everything goes to myself and my sister. My dad passed away 3 years ago, and my mom passed away 3 weeks ago. My sister also passed away a couple years ago so I am literally the only person on the will left. Do ya'll think I should still probate the will? I figure it's pretty cut and dry, but I'm no expert. There are no heirs left other than me.

Yes. You do. Especially if your sister hasn’t been removed from it. Every fucking investment firm/bank/titles/etc you cal will want your sisters info and she’s dead.

It’ll cost you around $3,000 min and that’s if everything is in Texas and uncontested.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Yes you will have to probate the Will especially if there is property, vehicles, or a bank account..
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        Yes. You do. Especially if your sister hasn’t been removed from it. Every fucking investment firm/bank/titles/etc you cal will want your sisters info and she’s dead.

It’ll cost you around $3,000 min and that’s if everything is in Texas and uncontested.
        I agree.

They told us they start at roughly $2500, but that depends on the county and what is in the estate. It can easily get above $3k. It is fleecing and ridiculous, but you need it.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Oh hell yes, you have to have the will probated...there is a 4 year max time limit from time of death to probate...if its not done then the state will step in and divide the property amongst surviving family...and thats where you can get fucked...found out the hard way when my grandmother didn't probate my grandfathers, her husbands will (they had separate wills)...and his share of the property got divided amongst family that wasn't even in the original will

Comment

Was your sister married? Kids?

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
              /end thread - spend the money on a lawyer, it'll be reimbursed from the estate or waived if that does not make sense since you'll get all the assets/value of the assets.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I'll echo everyone else, yes you need to probate it. Everything from my dad simply went to my mom, but she still had to write a check to her lawyer for $2500 to get things through probate. Do it the right way so it doesn't come back on you; you don't want that kind of headache with everything else you're dealing with.

Comment

I agree with probate. My dad died last April. He had a Will and no debts, but we didn't want any complications down the road with trying to sell his properties. The lawyer said that it could cause issues with trying to sell them if we didn't probate because the banks don't want the headaches that they could run into if it was contested later. Plus, my brother had died within the last 2 years, after the Will was made 3 years ago. He was specifically excluded from the Will but his children weren't, so they were considered heirs and could complicate things. There isn't enough difference in cost between a non-probated Will and a probated to make it worth the risk.

Comment

Dude, you've had a tumultuous few years, sorry for your losses.

Tx

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas and the tags made me laugh! My sister did not have any kids and was not married. My mom has a reverse mortgage on the house and 2 cars that are paid for and maybe worth $3500-$4000 each. They did not have a lot of money there at the end either from all the medical banter. Looks like I'll need to locate an attorney this week. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        Sorry for your loss. I'll echo everyone else, yes you need to probate it. Everything from my dad simply went to my mom, but she still had to write a check to her lawyer for $2500 to get things through probate. Do it the right way so it doesn't come back on you; you don't want that kind of headache with everything else you're dealing with.
                        Did your folks have a will/trust setup at all?

Originally posted by Karson View Post
                        Thanks for the advice fellas and the tags made me laugh! My sister did not have any kids and was not married. My mom has a reverse mortgage on the house and 2 cars that are paid for and maybe worth $3500-$4000 each. They did not have a lot of money there at the end either from all the medical banter. Looks like I'll need to locate an attorney this week. Thanks for the feedback guys!
                        I have an estate attorney that's in Plano. He could probably recommend someone else if you're in Waco, let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                          Did your folks have a will/trust setup at all?
                          My mom had EVERYTHING set up. Funerals already paid for and taken care of by Neptune Society, DNRs, POAs, every minor detail accounted for and arranged. She is quite pragmatic and organized. She has an entire three ring binder set aside with everything I need to do in order as will executor for when she goes.

Comment

@Tailsman..., They had a will made back in 2001 that states my sister and I get everything and no one else. My sister passed from infultrate pneumonia 2 years ago and had no husband or any kids. I'm literally the only one left on the will. If I didn't have my wife and son and my wife's family, I'd be a mess! I'm at peace and need to start with the legal process. Ya'll have been very helpful and I'll reach out to an attorney tomorrow. Thanks a bunch guys! I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Probate it. Once it is done you are bullet proof from everyone. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X