Gun Maintenance & Lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Maintenance & Lubrication

We seem to be buying a lot of toys lately. Can we get a sticky going with tips and tricks for maintaining our guns? We can always pirate how-to's from other boards while we're at it. Let's bring all these questions up in here. How about it?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Id like to minimize stickies to keep them from getting out of control, however we can group several into a single sticky thread for everyone. I'm about to add 2 sub forums to the armory.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

In my opinion there is no "correct" method to clean certain guns. As long as the end result is a nice shiny bore and most of the crud has being removed from the action, you are doing it right.

Everyone finds what they prefer and is easiest to do. Personally I like Rem Oil and hoppes 9. I think those chemicals, a bore snake, and some cleaning pads are the easiest way to clean a firearm.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Warm soapy water and some clp. Call it a day

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          In my opinion there is no "correct" method to clean certain guns. As long as the end result is a nice shiny bore and most of the crud has being removed from the action, you are doing it right.

Everyone finds what they prefer and is easiest to do. Personally I like Rem Oil and hoppes 9. I think those chemicals, a bore snake, and some cleaning pads are the easiest way to clean a firearm.
          Lmao thats exactly what I use. I have bought some firearms from people before and I swear they were dripping with oil..... Personally I put enough to do the job. I think some people tend to over lubricate if you ask me.... Not really a bad thing, but a messy one thats for sure.

Comment

I think people get out of hand when cleaning.

Its a simple task that takes time. I enjoy it most of the time since i have bore snakes that i use 99% of the time.

The biggest thing is the oils. I used clp and rem oil for quite a while. Now im trying out weapon sheild and i really like it.

Clp dries out to fast, but gives great rust protection. I will always soak new metal in clp and then coat with my choice of lubrication.

Also people do get a little out of hand lubing guns. Ive handled a few that felt liked they where just dipped in the shit. One i actually grabbed a towel.

If you want to see how anal cleaning can be go over to ar15.com as they have a whole damn section with thousands of posts all asking the same thing. They make it into rocket science when its really pre-k level.

Comment

Over oiling a semi auto could be a bad thing. Dirty oil can gum up the action and cause cycling problems. I had this happen with an XD where I had gunk between the trigger bar and frame. I make it a point to not get oil where it doesn't belong, and only enough where it does. I know people that spray their guns down with CLP then wipe it down. The guns mist oil when you shoot them.
              IMG_0424

Comment

Youtube it. Kind of hard to explain to someone in words that dont know much about guns or cleaning them. A youtube vid will usually do the trick.
                Photobucket

Comment

I love it when people oil the gas system of firearms.

Comment

I didn't intend this as strictly a how-to on cleaning. I thought we might put a sticky up so if people had problems, we could talk them out here, and use this as a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                      I love it when people oil the gas system of firearms.
                      But it looks like it could use some oil
                      Photobucket

Comment

There are wrong ways to clean a gun. For instance, reversing brush strokes mid way through a barrel.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I prefer miltec over clp and oil only goes on metal to metal contact points.

Comment

I never spray or squeeze oil onto any of my guns, I put it on my finger and run it over the the proper parts. If done properly the less oil you use, the longer before you get jams.

Comment

Anyone ever use lubriplate for metal to metal contact surfaces? Some folks on the net swear by it, but it seems like it would be a bitch, come time to clean it.

Comment

Working...
                              X