Mac mini vs nano itx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac mini vs nano itx

Need to swap out my vaio laptop for a more static device. Primary Use is to be my HDMI media source for my ripped DVD's.

What are the major limitations of the mac mini? Thoughts on the comparison?

I dont plan on storing anything on the device as all the files are on my server.

It is a little pricey and it doesn't have an optical drive/ blu-ray drive. That said it is small and silent, and the wireless keyboard and multi-touch pad are really nice to to use on the couch.

Comment

Mac Mini is a great little computer if the Blu-Ray support isn't something you are that concerned about. HOWEVER...I will tell you that if you are concerned about Blu-Ray support you DO have that option even with a Mac-Mini if you are willing to dual boot using Boot Camp and whatever minimal version of Windows you want to use. Just as a test to see if my Macbook Pro had the hardware capability to play them I used Boot Camp to install Win7 Premium on mine and used a USB external Blu-Ray drive to see if it would play and it looked fantastic on my Macbook Pro 13 (C2D 2.4ghz w/4gb ram). The NEWEST Mac-Mini is available now with the Core I5 which I would imagine is even MORE capable than my C2D...and the upper range mini even has Radeon HD graphics built in. Mac-Minis make fantastic media centers.

Comment

It'll only do 720p, but an AppleTV would work for an HDMI media source. I've got one and love it and at $99 is probably the cheapest thing apple makes. Definitely not a PC replacement but maybe it fills the niche you are looking for?

Good luck
        - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
        1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

The new gen mac mini is pretty cool and easily upgradable too. I have the core duo mini and its my media center, pretty awesome.

Just stay away from the mini's with the apple g4 processor.
          Ded

Comment

Don't you have an Xbox? Your media server is Windows, right? Is there any reason you can't use Windows Media Extender to serve up your videos?

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
              It'll only do 720p, but an AppleTV would work for an HDMI media source. I've got one and love it and at $99 is probably the cheapest thing apple makes. Definitely not a PC replacement but maybe it fills the niche you are looking for?

Good luck
              roku is better

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                Don't you have an Xbox? Your media server is Windows, right? Is there any reason you can't use Windows Media Extender to serve up your videos?
                The original xbox and a wii. Not a 360. Not a big console gamer, i think the xbox was last powered on a year ago and i only use the wii for when my friends kids come over with him.

I've got a powerful win7 pro that i could upgrade to ultimate, but it sucks so much power i dont leave it running all the time. I've got an 8TB NAS i can leave on that holds all my files, so if i can find a decent device to just share off it i'll be set.

Ive it a bluray player tat i use for my netlix, so having a dvd/blueray in this dvice will be moot.

Comment

As much as I love Apple products, they are pricey for what they are and the lack of OEM Blu-Ray support is a let down (especially when considering this for an HTPC). One other option I would consider is the Dell Zino HD. Optional Quad Core AMD processor, Win7, up to 8GB RAM, up to 100 GB HD (I'd run a networked HD or an external), HDMI, and Blu-Ray (optional). It has a little bit of a larger form factor than the Mini but still acceptable IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X