Repubs put a stop to light bulb bullsh#t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repubs put a stop to light bulb bullsh#t

I have no idea why these idiots keep saying these bulbs last longer, I have at least a 30% failure rate within six months on these pieces of shit. I'm so mad about them that I am saving them and I may send them to Jeff Immelt at GE and ask him why my company that I own a ton of shares of, insists on making a bunch of worthless shit.

Congress Reaches Deal To Blunt New Light-Bulb Standards

Dec 16, 2011 15:42:45 (ET)

By Tennille Tracy
    Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--A shadow was cast on new light-bulb standards Friday after Congress reached a deal to blunt the effects of a four-year-old law that phases out old forms of incandescent bulbs.

The practical effect of Congress's move is uncertain, however, as light-bulb makers say they will continue to comply with standards that go into effect starting in 2012.

A deal to rein in light-bulb standards was reached late Thursday by congressional negotiators hammering out details of a massive spending bill for 2012. In that bill, lawmakers include a provision that prevents the Energy Department from enforcing light-bulb standards that become effective on Jan. 1.

The move marks a win for Republicans, who have said for months that light-bulb standards epitomize an out-of-control government that tries to control consumers' behavior. Republicans say the standards will force consumers to switch to fluorescent and LED bulbs.

Rep. Joe Barton (R., Texas), a vocal critic of the standards, introduced a bill earlier this year to repeal the law. Presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann, meanwhile, has said government should be "staying out of [consumers'] personal light-bulb choices."

The light-bulb standards, outlined in a 2007 law signed by President George W. Bush, are aimed at making bulbs more efficient and reducing pollution from power plants. Specifically, it requires manufacturers to make bulbs that generate the same amount of light with less energy.

Environmental groups accuse the Republicans of spreading misinformation about the choices to be offered to consumers. Light-bulb makers already make incandescent bulbs that meet the new standards, they say, and those bulbs generate light that is similar to traditional bulbs and cost a modest price.

"I went to Home Depot a few months ago and found a 2-pack for $1.50 per bulb and they last about 1,000 hours," said Jim Presswood, federal energy policy director for the Natural Resources Defense Council. "As far as light quality goes, I really can't tell the difference."

Despite Congress' efforts to blunt the new standards, a trade group that represents 95% of U.S. light bulb makers says its companies will continue to comply with the standards.

"It's still the law and our companies are law-abiding companies," said Joseph Higbee, spokesman for the National Electrical Manufacturers Association, which represents General Electric Co. (GE) and Philips Electronics Ltd.

If anything, the move to block the DOE from enforcing the standards undermine the investment that light-bulb makers have already made to prepare for new requirements, Higbee said.

"American manufacturers have invested millions of dollars to transition to energy efficiency lighting," Higbee said. "The inability of the Department of Energy to enforce the standard allows bad actors to sell noncompliant products."

A key Senate Democrat also criticized the effort to pull funding for enforcing the standards.

"If America is to have a rational energy policy, we need to make progress in efficiency," Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D., N.M.), chair of the Senate energy committee, said in a statement. "Blocking funds to enforce minimum standards works against our nation getting the full benefits of energy efficiency."

-By Tennille Tracy, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-6619; tennille.tracy@dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

December 16, 2011 15:42 ET (20:42 GMT)
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

I saw that. About damned time they did something right!

And that almost makes up for all this other bullshit that they've been passing...
    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying into LEDs, but CFLs are bullshit. I swear, I have 4 in pot lights in my kitchen I they go around in a circle which one pops when and I have to change pretty damned often.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Its a shame that they backed off of this law AFTER all of the plants in the US that make the old style bulbs had shut down.... due to the same law.

Comment

While I haven't gone through them in six months, they sure as hell don't last the advertised life. The LED lights seem cool, but are expensive as shit.
          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            Yeah, I'm thinking about buying into LEDs, but CFLs are bullshit. I swear, I have 4 in pot lights in my kitchen I they go around in a circle which one pops when and I have to change pretty damned often.
            The LED bulbs I saw a year ago were a joke, they produced shit light, were expensive as holy hell, and their failure rates were ridiculous.

What I want to see is LED projectors.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              I have no idea why these idiots keep saying these bulbs last longer, I have at least a 30% failure rate within six months on these pieces of shit. I'm so mad about them that I am saving them and I may send them to Jeff Immelt at GE and ask him why my company that I own a ton of shares of, insists on making a bunch of worthless shit.

My understanding is that the government lowered the standards by which CFLs were made in order to let them be made more cheaply.

Mission Accomplished... I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                My understanding is that the government lowered the standards by which CFLs were made in order to let them be made more cheaply.

Mission Accomplished... I guess.
                Interesting. I have several 4-5 year old CFLs that I use every day.

They will, of course, all fail in the next 3 weeks because I said something.
                Men have become the tools of their tools.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
                  Interesting. I have several 4-5 year old CFLs that I use every day.

They will, of course, all fail in the next 3 weeks because I said something.
                  I have some that have lasted almost that long.

But others fail within 90 days. And I'm not talking about one or three or whatever. I have had at least ten of them fail out of roughly twenty outlets that I use them on. Interestingly, I have never had one in one of those floodlight style lights fail.
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Though just today I had one of the floodlight style that would not fit into a literally brand new light fixture. Go figure...
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

I'm using candles, zero energy consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        I'm using candles, zero energy consumption.
                        Blizzard knock the power out?
                        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                          Blizzard knock the power out?
                          No way, the grid up here is far superior to what I dealt with in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            No way, the grid up here is far superior to what I dealt with in Texas.
                            So you're going with candles for the ambience! Sweetness. Hit it once for Texas...
                            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Good. I'm still pissy about the whole low flow toilet thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X