Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a cheaper way to build a long rang rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, almost all .338 rifle owners have one thing in common: they all shoot 100 yards.

I would never choose that as a first rifle.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You'd be better served by getting a 10/22 with tech sights, and hitting every Appleseed event you have the time to do for a while, then working into bolt actions.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

^^^^^

Finally something we can completely agree on.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
          ^^^^^

Finally something we can completely agree on.
          Time for an internet high-five?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            Damn, guess not
            Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
            It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

e-burn.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Academy has the Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 for $680ish. So am I far off thinking I can build something for around 2k including optics?

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
                  Academy has the Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 for $680ish. So am I far off thinking I can build something for around 2k including optics?
                  I don't know why i didn't think of this, but Sniper Central does an entry level long range rig, complete with optics for a grand. You might check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    Agreed. I'm suggesting Savage due to his primary concern - cost.

Another thing I would personally add is if you want to shoot long range, you really need to get some experience hand loading. Without that you're going to be paying through the nose. Long distance shooting is the culmination of just about all angles of shooting.
                    It's not just general loading either once you get past the 400-500 mark little details in reloading can make a large difference.

Savages seem to be pretty good out of the box these days. I've had some first hand bad experiences with them
                    in the past though. I also really dislike the feel of the accu trigger and at one point in time they were not very consistent on how light the pull could be adjusted to. I would look long and hard at a Tikka varmint rifle in several calibers. The factory stocks and bottom metal are kinda crappy but there are several options out there for replacing that.

No shit there. A clients neighbor was coming home from the range while I was there and he showed me his new rifle in .338LM and was very proud of how well it shot at 100 yards; 30 shots into a group that both of my hands could not cover. His heart is in the right place but he has SOME work to do.
                    That sounds pretty bad but there are a lot of people that say some of the long sleek ultra high bc bullets don't fully settle down until past 100. I'm not %100 sold on this theory but I have seen groups that were awesome at 400 be sub par at 100. I'm not sure if it's just harmonics or the bullet going to sleep theory.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post

That sounds pretty bad but there are a lot of people that say some of the long sleek ultra high bc bullets don't fully settle down until past 100. I'm not %100 sold on this theory but I have seen groups that were awesome at 400 be sub par at 100. I'm not sure if it's just harmonics or the bullet going to sleep theory.
                      I believe that to be true as my 7mmSTW shoots nearly the same groups at 300m as it does at 100m.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        Not sure how to go about doing that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                            Leave it to Patrick...should have just let it die

And I will push my opinion one more time

TIKKA!!!
                            Originally posted by Sean88gt
                            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

We'll just say it happened, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                                Leave it to Patrick...should have just let it die
                                Just helpin a brother out.

Comment

Working...
                                X