Contour Fan Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contour Fan Install

Living here in fry your eggs on the side walk Dallas, overheating can be a real problem. Air conditioning is a must so controlling the fans with a/c is mandatory. I've seen many of the controllers but not the one I wanted until I found the PAC-2700 from Dakota Digital.
    I picked up a Ford Contour dual fan from the junk yard for $25 and off I went.

I lined the inside lip of the shroud with rubber hose split down the middle and glued to the edge to keep chaffing and wear of the aluminum radiator down. Next order was mounting brackets and fitting.

I placed the fans upside down to get the 2 stage built-in fan speed resistors mounted close to the radiator inlet.
    Making the brackets was an easy job using heavy metal strapping from the local "big box" hardware store.
    In order to get the shroud to lay flat, some applications will require you to notch the shroud for clearance. When making the brackets, make sure there is some preload to hold the shroud tight to the radiator to lessen it's movement. The top brackets are made just to press the top of the shroud tight against the radiator. They will also serve as hose routing too.

Cleaning up the wiring is the next step. We only need the green wires as the purple colors are not need in this application.
    WE are now left with 2 green and one black ground wire.

Remove the fan and shroud and install some shorter bolts on the water pump pulley. Look at all that room!

Time now to mount and wire the shroud and fans up to the vehicle. Bolt up the bottom brackets too hold the shroud up in preparation for the work up top. Bolt on the top mounts.

I used a generic catch tank from the parts house and mounted it over by where the stock air cleaner box used to reside. I increased the diameter of the mouth of the tank to mount the original coolant low sensor. Some have mounted their overflow tanks in the left fender.

You will need to pull 2 wires from the relays to the controller. As very little current runs to the controller from the outside, the wires can be 14 gauge or so. I mounted my controller in the center of the dash above my trip-minder. Also shown are the heat extractors in the hood to vent the hot air.

This is a view of the 2 70A relays mounted to inner fender. A 60A fuse for the fans and 2 10A fuses for the relays.

A connection to the hot side of the A/C clutch is needed. I replaced the thermostat housing with one that accepts a temperature sensor.

Once the in car wiring is completed, programing the controller pretty much a breeze.
    I run a 195 t-stat so low on @195 off @180. High on @ 205 off @ 198. When the A/C is kicked on,
    the low speed fans run. So I now have dual fans with dual speed!
Working...
X