Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycling fitness (for my own accountability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling fitness (for my own accountability)

I am pretty much posting this to help me hold myself accountable for my exercise/training. Some of you may remember my cycling posts from a couple of years ago. I did pretty well in 2013. Riding when I could and put about 200 miles on my bike that year, ending my "season" by riding my first tour, with my dad, a 21 mile ride in Greenville called the Cotton Patch Challenge. (the shortest route on the tour) That was pretty much the last time I was on the bike consistently.

Fast forward to Late last year, I started having issues with my back. Numbness and tingling in my feet and legs. An MRI, 6 weeks of physical therapy, and I was up and going again, back to normal if you will. In April, my dad, one of the healthiest people I know had a heart attack. They first called it a mild event, but after going in for a closer look, they discovered a fully blocked artery. A 2" stent and he was up and going again, even walked 3 miles around the cardiac ward the day after they put the stent in.

About two weeks ago, I decided to start riding again, taking control of my health once and for all, building a routine and sticking with it. I talked to my dad about it and he decided we should ride the Cotton Patch again, the short course, but ride none the less. So I set myself a goal of riding a total of 200 miles by Sept 20th. I started a routine last Monday (after $200 worth of maintenance on my $300 bike) riding Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday morning. Tuesdays and Thursdays hitting the gym for some weight training. Last week went good, 25 miles total for the week and hit my workout on Thursday (I just signed up for the gym on Wednesday).

My goal for this week is 30 miles, I rode 12 miles today at an average speed of 13.5 mph, and an average cadence of 84. My focus right now is to maintain a high cadence and build my endurance.

I know we have some cyclists here, so I would appreciate input and recommendations on things to incorporate into my training!

Again, this is more for myself, posting with the mindset of putting it out there so that I hold myself accountable when I get lazy or miss a day of training. I'm not sure how long I will go between posts, but I will try and make it weekly.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Invest in a really good saddle. After years of ripping my gooch on cheap seats I bought a brooks and now I can ride for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
      Invest in a really good saddle. After years of ripping my gooch on cheap seats I bought a brooks and now I can ride for hours.
      I haven't had any issues yet. Though, I haven't been on a ride more than 1.5 hrs either. I think it has the stock Specialized seat on it. The only upgrades it had were wheels. I picked it up on Craigslist for $300. I have been getting a little numbness in my toes on my left foot, but that could be a result of my back injury

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        I haven't had any issues yet. Though, I haven't been on a ride more than 1.5 hrs either. I think it has the stock Specialized seat on it. The only upgrades it had were wheels. I picked it up on Craigslist for $300. I have been getting a little numbness in my toes on my left foot, but that could be a result of my back injury
        Have you been fit yet? Make sure you're not overextending etc. May need to play with the saddle height and fore/aft position. Stand up some while riding, stretch out every now and then it may help the numbness.

Slowly start building up your avg cadence, try to shoot for a 90avg then work from there. Less mashing more spinning its better for your joints etc.

If you want to avoid having excuses for not riding outdoors pick up an indoor trainer. I use a fluid trainer as you don't have any resistance to adjust, it get more difficult as your speed increases and is very similar to riding on the road. It's nice being able to train on your own bike while watching TV... but it can be boring as fuck. Still, I'll take an hour in the saddle in my living room over a lot of things. Fluid trainers are little pricier, but you can get a basic magnetic resistance one pretty cheap of craigslist I'm sure.

Just stick with it, you will be doing 40mi as a quick afternoon ride before you know it.

Comment

I had a fit done when I was riding before. I don't recall if I had my shoes and pedals at that time though. That would be the onlyvthing that has changed. I did get a quick adjustment of my cleats done not long after stepping up to pedals and shoes.

I picked up a cheap trainer last fall, but unfortunately only used it twice. Hopefully I develop the routine and carry it into next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Spinning is winning
            I'm a 25 yr plus cycling veteran and have taken a 5 yr hiatus. A recent trip to Colorado inspired me to get back on my bike. I'm on my 11th day in a row and finally getting my legs and lungs back. I gave up on the road long ago as I found it boring and getting more dangerous with people on cell phones. I like riding in the woods where there are more challenges and variety.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
              Spinning is winning
              I'm a 25 yr plus cycling veteran and have taken a 5 yr hiatus. A recent trip to Colorado inspired me to get back on my bike. I'm on my 11th day in a row and finally getting my legs and lungs back. I gave up on the road long ago as I found it boring and getting more dangerous with people on cell phones. I like riding in the woods where there are more challenges and variety.
              My dad rode for a long time. Life got busy and he hasn't rode like he used to in probably 15 years. So I was thrilled that he wanted to try and pick it back up again.

I can understand the safety concern with riding the roads. I have had people suggest mountain biking, and trails, though I feel that with my surgery, the vibration and such would cause more pain than benefit.

Comment

The only time I ride on the road anymore is Saturday RBM rides or organized rides. I will put my road bike on the trainer and knock out the DVR for a couple hours at a time rather than ride by myself. Between rugby season this spring and the rains destroying a lot of the trails I haven't mountain biked much this year but I'm hoping to do that more often in the coming weeks and months.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is making sure you have proper hydration (and nutrition on long rides). At short distances it's not a big concern but you can really get yourself in trouble if you end up stranded somewhere without water in this heat. I hadn't ridden outside in a couple months and then did 30 miles last weekend. I only took one bottle but it got hot early and I was rationing my water to last.

Comment

I've got 2 cages. I have only been carrying one bottle. My work schedule has only allowed me to ride for about an hour. I try to get started about 7 in the evening during the week, that only gives me about an hour of good light. Thankfully, we are about to start alternating Saturdays so that will give me more time on the Saturday group ride that happens by my house.

If you are up for it, you should come ride the cotton patch. My dad and I will probably only manage 12-14 mph average on the short course.

Comment

Good luck, and fuck yeah.

I have slacked on my cycling in the past 2 years but I still have my bikes. Before that SlowLX and I rode a lot, I did a couple centuries a year, etc. It's fucking great and I miss it.

No pun intended, go get back in the saddle. You know you'll love it.

Comment

My 12 miles on Monday was my longest ride since starting up again. It felt great. I was actually a little bummed when I pulled into the drive because it was too dark to ride more. With temps like they are its still too effin' hot to start any earlier than 7. I am trying to set weekly goals and either acheive them or smash them. Hopefully that helps me keep up my momentum. Helps me keep riding deeper into the fall and early winter and carry over to next year.

Comment

I have a Blackburn fluid trainer I'm getting rid of if you're interested. There's a special rear skewer needed that I lost (which would be cheap to replace) but otherwise it's perfect. I'm moving back to dfw in a month... let new know.

Comment

I'll shoot you a PM. I will definitely need better quality if I start to train and ride like I intend to.

Tonights goal is 14 miles with somewhere around a 14 mph average and average cadence of 85+

Comment

I would come ride with you but I have another event that day.

Two things: You are doing good watching your cadence. If you want to get faster toss in a few intervals. Ride a 1/4 mile hard..... ease off and recover..... ride another 1/4 mile hard. Riding faster is the only way to get faster. When I'm loafing my cadence is 75-80, when I'm riding steady it's 85ish, when I'm humping it the cadence can get to 100. Hump it some and you'll get faster and gain endurance quicker. Your average speed for the ride won't be great because of the recovery time, but over time your average speed will pick up. Do rides like this for the shorter ones. On the weekends when you have more time to some steady state endurance stuff.

The other thing, every ounce you lose makes it easier on your core, your butt and your bike. It also helps a ton anytime you hit a grade. In this part of TX we don't have many steep ones, but we get the rollers and they kill you when you are fat. I know. Losing weight is 95% diet and 5 percent exercise too..... which sucks.

The best thing you have done is set a goal! By setting a goal you are more likely to see things through. Next year set incrementally bigger goals. If you want to try riding 40+ miles on a ride next year, I will do it right beside you if you want.

Comment

Thank you guys so much! Keep the advice coming. Tonight was 14.6 miles, 14mph average, and an average cadence of 87. Now, I do need to clarify, I ride "laps" from one highway to another. At each turn around I took a small break. Hydrate and let my legs recoup a bit. It was about 6 miles out to the first break and 4.5 miles to the second (shorter) break.

As for weight loss, I don't have much to lose! I am 5'8" and ~135-140 last time I was on the scale. My "fit" weight is about 125. I have develoled a little fluff through my mid section. So most of my weight loss will have to come from the bike. I haven't decided if I want to upgrade components on my current frame, or get serious about it and reward myself with a new bike sometime next year after hitting a milestone!

Having limited time during the week, I can definitely understand an hour worth of intervals vs a longer steady ride.

The empty subdivision behind me if I make the big loop is about .5 miles. Of course it is just about 100% flat. I feel like it would be a good place for intervals, as I know the distance and time without checking the computer, allowing me to focus more on the effort.

And, for reference, this is a shot from my first break, note the scrawny nature of me...lol

Two years ago with my dad, one of the most rewarding days of my, at the time, 30 years:

And tonight:

Comment

Working...
                              X