Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Councilwoman pushing bill to remove protective glass barriers from convenience stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Councilwoman pushing bill to remove protective glass barriers from convenience stores

......for dignity of her constituents.

I guess having a gun in ones face doesn't rob a person of dignity, either.

Bulletproof glass and other barriers have long kept store workers safe from bodily harm and even death at the hands of armed criminals. This is especially true in crime-infested cities like Philadelphia.

However, a head-scratching bill put forth by councilwoman Cindy Bass would remove these protections from store workers. She claims that the plexiglass barriers are a form of “indignity” being pushed on her constituents. The proposed legislation is called the ‘Stop and Go’ bill and states that “no establishment shall erect or maintain a physical barrier.”

Logically, store owners and workers see it very differently. “If the glass comes down, the crime rate will rise and there will be lots of dead bodies,” said Rich Kim, who owns Broad Deli in an interview with Fox 29.

Kim put up protective glass in his store after a shooting, and says it saved his mother-in-law from a knife attack.

It seems clear that the councilwoman is willing to sacrifice the safety of store owners and workers within the city for the perceived dignity of the citizens. A dangerous tradeoff.

Update: The controversial bill that would remove protective barriers from stop-and-go stores has passed Philadelphia’s?Public Health and Human Services Committee.? The full city council will vote on the bill on December 14th. Earlier: Bulletproof glass and other barriers have long kept store workers safe from bodily harm and even death at the hands of armed […]

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Read her name and said to myself, crazy white woman. Then I saw her picture... And said, go figure.

Comment

Cindy M. Bass is a Democratic politician and member of the City Council of Philadelphia. Logic is out the window. I guess she's ok with the proprietors of these stores who either gets killed, maimed, or stabbed.

Sick lady. Dignity? lol A lot of these areas are crime infested cess pools.

Comment

Einstein was right. Human stupidity is infinite.

Comment

If the bill ever passed, I suggest that a convenience store owner hire this guy to work the late shift.

I'm sure he would be all about preserving the dignity of the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
            And even he wasn't sure about the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
              The only indignity is that someone like that made it that far.
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                The only indignity is that someone like that made it that far.
                We have a few idiots like her in TX and they get reelected by landslides every time.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                  We have a few idiots like her in TX and they get reelected by landslides every time.
                  He's looking at you, Houston and Dallas.

Comment

I don't think her proposal would work out too well in Detroit.

Comment

I don't think it will work out in Philly as well. She's trying to appear relevant to her "constituents" Well, that and she's a nut job. She reminds me of the mayor of Baltimore that let people have their designated rioting/looting spaces. Re: The Freddie Gray aftermath

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                        I don't think it will work out in Philly as well. She's trying to appear relevant to her "constituents" Well, that and she's a nut job. She reminds me of the mayor of Baltimore that let people have their designated rioting/looting spaces. Re: The Freddie Gray aftermath

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          I don't think her proposal would work out too well in Detroit.
                          That way only the richest (and thus policed) areas would remain. The plants could take over the rest. Like they're already doing in some areas.
                          WH

Comment

She should be required to work in a store without barriers.

Comment

Went to the dollar store and they kept announcing, "Security scan." They actually took employee attendance as well. Employees shouting, "Here!" Like back in school.
                              I felt so insulted. I thought I'd log in to dfwstangs and whine about it to help me cope. That shit should be illegal, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X