Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musk to put Tesla Roaster into Mars orbit

Elon Musk is putting his personal Tesla into Mars’ orbit

SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy, its most powerful reusable rocket to date, is all set to have a spectacular first launch that will include Elon Musk’s very own Tesla.

Following reports that time was up for the launch in 2017 — it had originally been schedule for November — SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has seemingly confirmed that it will take place in January and, in true Musk style, there is more.

Musk revealed that the payload inside the rocket will be his own Tesla Roadster (in midnight cherry color, no less) which will launch while playing Space Oddity by David Bowie.

The planned destination is Mars and, all being well, Musk said his personal vehicle will be in the planet’s orbit for “a billion years.”

Musk’s tweets appears in line with reports from earlier this week that the Falcon Heavy launch will take place in early 2018.

SpaceX president Gwynne Shotwell told Aviation Week that the company is planning a static test fire of its Falcon Heavy rocket, with all 27 Merlin engines used simultaneously, before the end of 2017. Should that proceed without any major issues, the full launch would happen weeks later.

Timing is tight, but Elon Musk is Elon Musk. It’s sure to be a fantastic spectacle.

Musk has spoken openly about the non-zero chance that the Falcon Heavy will explode during its first flight, and because of that he once said he wanted stick the “silliest thing we can imagine” on top of the rocket. Now we know what he meant. It’s unclear at the time of publish whether SpaceX has received any necessary approvals for this plan.
    SpaceX also ultimately plans to be able to recover all three rocket cores that power the Falcon Heavy, just like it’s done over the last year with main rocket booster stage of its Falcon 9s. It’s unclear if the company will attempt to recover the boosters of this maiden rocket.

Of course, Musk also said earlier this fall at the International Astronautical Congress that he plans to pour all of SpaceX’s resources into an even bigger rocket architecture, known as the Interplanetary Transport System (or Big Fucking Rocket, for short).

That new mega-rocket, when built, would essentially obsolesce the Falcon Heavy and the Falcon 9. It will be capable of taking on the same duties that those rockets perform, while adding new capabilities that range from planting a colony on Mars to making 30-minute transcontinental travel possible on Earth.

In that light, maybe shooting a Tesla into orbit around the Red Planet doesn’t seem so outlandish.

I know it's fun to talk shit about Musk - especially the finances of his companies - but some of the stuff his companies do (mostly Space X) are still really impressive. If a Tesla actually ends up in Mars' orbit that will be fucking epic and no amount of shit talking from anyone on this planet will ever undo it. All the other bullshit aside, I really hope this happens.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 12-03-2017, 06:41 PM.

I can’t remember talking shit about Musk and I think this is just hubris BS. Buuuuuut, it’s a test flight so no biggie.

Comment

Ballin out of control.

Comment

Coffee roaster?

Comment

Yay space trash?
          1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
          1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
          2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Comment

The fact that Tesla doesn't really make any money is the problem for me. I love the idea of Space X and if it ever goes public I will probably buy some shares to keep forever.

I know for a fact that there is a potential stock market mania behind what Space X is doing. As soon as someone, most likely candidate being Musk, demonstrates that you can turn a sizeable profit on space exploration, there will be a crazy economic burst surrounding it that will be full of ridiculous stock market action. Just like the dot com bubble but much different than Tesla because we are talking about gathering resources, not manufacturing. Essentially the idea is "There is gold in them there hills" and there will be a whole lot of money to be made for smart people.

Look up the treasure hunting expedition of Captain Phips in the late 1600s for the historical equivalent.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Musk told Jalopnik that it isn't happening.
                The maiden voyage of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket will have some interesting cargo, Elon Musk revealed on Twitter last night. Musk’s own cherry red Tesla Roadster playing “Space Oddity” over its stereo system will be aboard the rocket with its final destination being Mars’ orbit. [Update: Just kidding! He made it all…

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  Musk told Jalopnik that it isn't happening.
                  https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-is-se...the-1820944174
                  Well, fuck. So much for the ultimate Mars "orbit find" rebuild/auction on a shitty cable network 300 yrs from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                    The fact that Tesla doesn't really make any money is the problem for me. I love the idea of Space X and if it ever goes public I will probably buy some shares to keep forever.

I know for a fact that there is a potential stock market mania behind what Space X is doing. As soon as someone, most likely candidate being Musk, demonstrates that you can turn a sizeable profit on space exploration, there will be a crazy economic burst surrounding it that will be full of ridiculous stock market action. Just like the dot com bubble but much different than Tesla because we are talking about gathering resources, not manufacturing. Essentially the idea is "There is gold in them there hills" and there will be a whole lot of money to be made for smart people.

Look up the treasure hunting expedition of Captain Phips in the late 1600s for the historical equivalent.
                    The more gold that gets brought down to the earths surface form outer space the less the gold will be worth. The Spanish ran into the same problem with the gold and silver they took to Europe from the Americas. The purchasing power of precious metals dropped about 80 percent in a 50 year time frame.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                      The purchasing power of precious metals dropped about 80 percent in a 50 year time frame.
                      If that actually happened to us:

1st world problems
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                        The more gold that gets brought down to the earths surface form outer space the less the gold will be worth. The Spanish ran into the same problem with the gold and silver they took to Europe from the Americas. The purchasing power of precious metals dropped about 80 percent in a 50 year time frame.
                        Of course but what, if anything, gets brought back has little to do with what I am talking about.
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

It's gonna be prime time TV no matter what he puts on top. If people like Nascar wrecks, then this should be popular too, especially if he tries to land all 3 rockets.
                          2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

So what is he actually up to? Gonna finally put those first supplies on mars somewhere?
                            WH

Comment

Fuck you money.

Comment

Working...
                              X