No announcement yet.

Cosigned on student loan - am i screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find a good business lawyer who still will do collections. You might be surprised at what can be done.

Comment

It sucks to spend my cash on an attorney but, then again, I'm spending over $1,000 every 3 months on this loan. It's been an easy 10 years and he's made maybe 3 years worth of payments in that whole time.

The loan balance is still dangerously close to the original balance because of the late fees and it's compound interest so you get screwed royally when payments are missed. Paying interest on interest on interest...

Maybe a letter from an attorney threatening legal action would be enough to get him to pay it. I'm going to start looking for an attorney.
      Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 01-23-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Fuck a letter. Pay me and I'll go leave a message he can't ignore.

I'll even fuck his wife and scream out your name when I bust in her ass.

Comment

I like the collections lawyer thought process. Who cares if you get a penny out of it, get the debt off you and make him pay.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

If its a private loan, cant you just let it go and take the hit for 7 years? Government student loans are the ones that chase you and garnish your wages I thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
              If its a private loan, cant you just let it go and take the hit for 7 years? Government student loans are the ones that chase you and garnish your wages I thought?
              Government loans don't go away. The "hit" he takes may be a stay in jail. For him and the friend.
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                Government loans don't go away. The "hit" he takes may be a stay in jail. For him and the friend.
                Re-read what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  Fuck a letter. Pay me and I'll go leave a message he can't ignore.

I'll even fuck his wife and scream out your name when I bust in her ass.
                  LMFAO!

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  I like the collections lawyer thought process. Who cares if you get a penny out of it, get the debt off you and make him pay.
                  I already called an attorney. Waiting for someone to call me back. Like I said above, I'm less worried about getting my money back and more worried about paying $386/month for the next 25-35 years until this loan is paid off.

It is private and no, I'm not willing to throw my credit in the tank. We're trying to buy a property right now and my credit score has already taken enough of a hit from this loan that it has me worried.

FWIW - I stopped making payments for 6 months to try and get him to make the payments. He was enjoying his improved credit scores and I figured the hit to his rating might be motivation enough... he paid $100 ONE time in that 6 months (that's less than 1/3 of one payment).

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    I think with him being the cosigner, any collections company would go after both of them.

This is what I'd seriously consider before I dropped a lot of money on someone's loan. It's a crappy way to handle it but I sure as shit wouldn't pay his school loan. I'd take it as an expensive lesson learned and take the credit score hit for the next 7 years.

Please consult with a professional though before taking my advise.

Comment

And the most fucked up part:

1. The student loan was for an IT program. He was a mechanic and figured he would get an IT certificate and come out making 100k. Then he started the job search stuff halfway through the first part of the program and saw that he would be making $13 - $15 hourly with his certificate.

2. Knowing this, he dropped out after the first half of the program, but not before enrolling in the second half and doubling the amount of the student loan in the process. He never bothered withdrawing and getting that money back, just walked away from the whole deal.

Fast forward too many years and the school is long gone but the debt is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                        LMFAO!

I already called an attorney. Waiting for someone to call me back. Like I said above, I'm less worried about getting my money back and more worried about paying $386/month for the next 25-35 years until this loan is paid off.

OH HELL NO! I wouldn't pay that at all!

It is private and no, I'm not willing to throw my credit in the tank. We're trying to buy a property right now and my credit score has already taken enough of a hit from this loan that it has me worried.

buy your property, then let that shit go. Maybe it's just me but there's no way in hell I'd pay that when I have other, more important obligations (kids, family, my own personal debt, etc.)

FWIW - I stopped making payments for 6 months to try and get him to make the payments. He was enjoying his improved credit scores and I figured the hit to his rating might be motivation enough... he paid $100 ONE time in that 6 months (that's less than 1/3 of one payment).
                        I truly hope an attorney has some solutions. This really sucks for you. Especially when you tried to help someone in good faith.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                          And the most fucked up part:

1. The student loan was for an IT program. He was a mechanic and figured he would get an IT certificate and come out making 100k. Then he started the job search stuff halfway through the first part of the program and saw that he would be making $13 - $15 hourly with his certificate.

2. Knowing this, he dropped out after the first half of the program, but not before enrolling in the second half and doubling the amount of the student loan in the process. He never bothered withdrawing and getting that money back, just walked away from the whole deal.

Fast forward too many years and the school is long gone but the debt is still there.

Isn't there debt cancellation on some of that?

Comment

I guess the big question for me when it comes to me stopping the payments is the impact on my ability to buy anything. I'm not Dave Ramsey and I still have to borrow money to buy houses and the like. Sadly, I can't remove my ability to borrow money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              Isn't there debt cancellation on some of that?
                              Not for private loans. The debt cancellation stuff only applies to government loans. Private loan holders get fucked.

Comment

My brother in laws credit is shot due to cosigning on a loan. From what I understand, if you secure a judgement in court and he refuses to pay, you can then get a writ of judgement and seize assets that aren't exempt from seizure.

From what I can gather, wages, homestead, heirlooms, jewelry, two firearms, and anything used on a farm/ranch or business is exempt up to $60,000 for married, anything beyond that is on the table. The dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, and cruiser might be on the table for you to seize.

You might talk to a lawyer about that, I am by no means an expert. Unless you want to go through a massive headache, see the image below.

Comment

Working...
                                X