Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 New Projector - DLP vs LCD vs LED - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Projector - DLP vs LCD vs LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Projector - DLP vs LCD vs LED

I want to buy a new projector for the upstairs gameroom but havent really checked out the different technologies. I have an older DLP up there now, but a quick Google search shows some other tech I may consider.

It's not used too often so I dont want to pay over $1K.

Anyone have recommendations or preferences here?

I have this one. It’s perfect for movies and gaming. Not too expensive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There’s a newer model in that link for cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just picked up and epson 3lcd. Not sure on the model number but it looks pretty similar to that. I've been pretty happy except the throw of my old dlp was way longer so I had to remount everything for it to fit my screen.

Glad to get confirmation that its Dr approved as well!

Comment

Go laser

Comment

Been debating projector for just the living room. Installing a screen, the projector/picture angles difficult or DIY type thing?
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Been debating projector for just the living room. Installing a screen, the projector/picture angles difficult or DIY type thing?
              It's easy, but if your living room is bright the projector will never compare to a TV.

There is a rigid ~120" frame on Amazon that's relatively cheap (less than 200). The projectors are all digitally adjusted for angles so it's super simple.

Comment

Our game room stays well lit due to having a 2-year old keeping himself busy when we watch whatever, so I decided on the slate zero-edge. Not cheap, but cheaper than the latest 80 inchers out today, and you can't get a 120 inch TV. Not the best option for a light-controlled room due to a little bit of shimmer and the expense as compared to a white screen, but in our environment the picture is great, whites are white, and blacks are black, with no perceptible washout.

Slate brings ALR for the world. We spent three years in the lab to create a flexible, ALR screen that can go massive, and adheres to only the strictest visual acuity and uniformity standards. Most importantly – it had to be affordable.
                Last edited by Big A; 02-14-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I know someone that has a $2000 screen and I still cant imagine the picture quality is better than a comparable TV setup. Especially when you throw in the expensive ass projector.

Comment

I researched and painted the wall. We have a 25K laser projector at work. Yes, it's a larger image than mine at home, but my DLP (BenQ a few years old now) with just over 3K lumens looks incredible. I spackled the wall, sanded it smooth, and then several coats of the white that was recommended. I found an article where some guys tested multiple paints and then picked one that was basically the same light reflection as a high dollar screen.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      I researched and painted the wall. We have a 25K laser projector at work. Yes, it's a larger image than mine at home, but my DLP (BenQ a few years old now) with just over 3K lumens looks incredible. I spackled the wall, sanded it smooth, and then several coats of the white that was recommended. I found an article where some guys tested multiple paints and then picked one that was basically the same light reflection as a high dollar screen.
                      I think they sell some expensive "HD" paint as well for that same purpose. Our current house isn't setup for a media room but the next one will be and i'll look into doing what you said. thankfully basements are common here so ambient lighting wont be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        I know someone that has a $2000 screen and I still cant imagine the picture quality is better than a comparable TV setup. Especially when you throw in the expensive ass projector.
                        It's not necessarily better than a TV, but you can't buy a 120 inch HD TV. What is much better is when comparing to even the best white screen in these lighting conditions. I wouldn't have gotten it for a dedicated media room, but being that it's a game room with a fireplace, bar, sink, windows, etc., the slate made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                          I think they sell some expensive "HD" paint as well for that same purpose. Our current house isn't setup for a media room but the next one will be and i'll look into doing what you said. thankfully basements are common here so ambient lighting wont be a problem.
                          They do. This article I found tested that paint too. The one they recommended was some acrylic deal from Sherwin Williams. When I went to paint mine, SW was closed. I got the Behr version of the same thing, and it looks great. I was floored when I turned it on as the third coat was still drying. It was crazy how much better it looked over my previous one. You need to use Flotrol or whatever it's called. That stuff thins the paint just a little and makes it apply smoother.

Edit: I think this is the article I found and referenced I believe. It's been at least 5 years since I did this though, so I'm sure there are newer studies.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pai...-Perfect-Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            It's not necessarily better than a TV, but you can't buy a 120 inch HD TV. What is much better is when comparing to even the best white screen in these lighting conditions. I wouldn't have gotten it for a dedicated media room, but being that it's a game room with a fireplace, bar, sink, windows, etc., the slate made sense.
                            Yeah I guess 85 inch is about the biggest common TV size.

I should clarify that even when I have the room windows open with light coming in, the image is still acceptable. Its just that I'd rather have the bigscreen TV for the price in a well lit room. But if you need over 100" I can see there being no other option. Since ours is in a media/game room...we simply use blackout curtains but I wouldn't want those in a living room.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              Yeah I guess 85 inch is about the biggest common TV size.

I should clarify that even when I have the room windows open with light coming in, the image is still acceptable. Its just that I'd rather have the bigscreen TV for the price in a well lit room. But if you need over 100" I can see there being no other option. Since ours is in a media/game room...we simply use blackout curtains but I wouldn't want those in a living room.
                              That's just it, size aside, the image is comparable to a HD TV with the curtains open mid-day. You would want to go with the pricier black diamond for outdoor or in a living room that's all windows, but the slate does fine in a room with a couple medium-sized windows. Don't feel limited to 80 inches in any space with the screen and projector tech that's available today.

Comment

Working...
                              X