Running Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Program

I'm not really sure where I fall on the beginner/intermediate/advanced spectrum but I do know that I want to increase distance and stamina.

I ran for the second time this year yesterday and cut 5 miles in 46 minutes which is an alright starting point. I had some more left in the tank but I was really concerned about not stopping while I was running.

I want something that will push me and give me guidance so I can progress but my main concern is that I won't start at the right level and it will either be too easy or too hard throughout the entire program.

Any input of programs you have used in the past would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my final goal is a half marathon but I really just enjoyed running and I would like something that would help me get better at it.
    An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
    I'm not really sure where I fall on the beginner/intermediate/advanced spectrum but I do know that I want to increase distance and stamina.

I ran for the second time this year yesterday and cut 5 miles in 46 minutes which is an alright starting point. I had some more left in the tank but I was really concerned about not stopping while I was running.

I want something that will push me and give me guidance so I can progress but my main concern is that I won't start at the right level and it will either be too easy or too hard throughout the entire program.

Any input of programs you have used in the past would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my final goal is a half marathon but I really just enjoyed running and I would like something that would help me get better at it.
    what side of town are you located on?

Comment

I live in Downtown Plano.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

My Co-worker just ran a half in March using Hal Higdon's program, but I think he used the Novice one. It sounds like you're at least intermediate: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm
        2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
        '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
          My Co-worker just ran a half in March using Hal Higdon's program, but I think he used the Novice one. It sounds like you're at least intermediate: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm
          Awesome, thanks man.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Nike+ had a few trainer programs. Are you running inside or outside?

Comment

Outside, I used Google Earth to track the path and make sure I could verify how far I ran.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

If you have an android phone, Runkeeper is a good ap. Uses GPS to track your distance and you can set notifications based on time and distance to keep you on pace. It also has a little google map that shows the rout you ran. Pretty cool!
                '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

If you have an android phone, Runkeeper is a good ap. Uses GPS to track your distance and you can set notifications based on time and distance to keep you on pace. It also has a little google map that shows the rout you ran. Pretty cool!
                  I keep it pretty basic with my technology, but I'll keep that in mind if I upgrade.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

I keep it pretty basic with my technology, but I'll keep that in mind if I upgrade.
                    It's not as technical as it sounds. In Setting you pick if you want audio cues based on distance or time and what you want it to tell you, turn on GPS, hit start and take off running. Then every 5min or 1 mile or both, however you set it up, you'll get a status update out loud, you've run this long, this far and your current pace or what info you selected for your status update. At the end, you can review your run, post it on the web site they have, Facebook, etc. If you listen to music on your phone, it will talk over the music...pretty cool. People you add to your running group can also see how your run went if you want.
                    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

It's not as technical as it sounds. In Setting you pick if you want audio cues based on distance or time and what you want it to tell you, turn on GPS, hit start and take off running. Then every 5min or 1 mile or both, however you set it up, you'll get a status update out loud, you've run this long, this far and your current pace or what info you selected for your status update. At the end, you can review your run, post it on the web site they have, Facebook, etc. If you listen to music on your phone, it will talk over the music...pretty cool. People you add to your running group can also see how your run went if you want.
                      I mean I don't have a smartphone.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

I mean I don't have a smartphone.
                        Ohhhhhh...Gotcha. someone should make an ap for Google that lets you map it out like now, but shows mile or half mile markers...that would be cool!
                        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Google Earth has a feature where you can chart a course that is pretty accurate.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Sounds like you're at the level now, where you would benefit from tailoring workouts to improving performance, instead of just logging miles. I don't have a specific regime to recommend, but IMO, you should be looking for/designing a plan that includes speed days, tempo runs, and long runs to fully round your training. If you can run 5+ 9 minute miles with more in the tank, you're probably close to being able to run a sub 2hr half, which is plenty of base to start with.

Comment

Working...
                            X