Combat Pistol Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Pistol Competition

So a buddy of mine talked me into signing up for this Saturday, it's in Mingus TX. I have never competed in one much less ran drills. I'm damn good at the range, but that's nothing like targets popping up and having to recognize hostiles vs innocents. anyone on here have any advice for me? It will be drawing from a concealed position and I'm using my Beretta 96 A1 .40 cal since it's the most accurate of my handguns.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Don't try to be the fastest just try to be the most consistent.

Have plenty of magazines. More ammo than they recommend. Drink lots of water. Don't be the new guy that doesn't understand the basic Cooper safety rules.

Never overlook the importance of a well executed SWAT Roll.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I have no value to add except to say that it sounds really cool and I'm happy to see you representing a Beretta (I have a 92A1). :-)

Marcus
      '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

Do you, or have you ever drawn from concealment? Like, enough to be proficient? If the answer is no, I would recommend getting some practice in. Completely unload your pistol, check it to make sure it is unloaded, and get somewhere in your house to practice drawing.

Get to where you can draw smoothly, then incorporate bringing the gun up into a shooting grip with the sights aligned correctly, in one smooth motion.

Like said above, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Consistency is the key.
        Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Speaking of which, is there a range in DFW that will let you draw from concealment for target practice?
          Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Originally posted by Bputacoma View Post
            Speaking of which, is there a range in DFW that will let you draw from concealment for target practice?
            Shoot Smart off of I-35 before the Cabella's exit. They have a private lane where you can draw from concealment, transition carbine to pistol, etc. Distance runs out to 20yards on the private lane. Very new place, very clean, great ventalation, great lighting, great staff.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Saleen781 View Post
              So a buddy of mine talked me into signing up for this Saturday, it's in Mingus TX. I have never competed in one much less ran drills. I'm damn good at the range, but that's nothing like targets popping up and having to recognize hostiles vs innocents. anyone on here have any advice for me? It will be drawing from a concealed position and I'm using my Beretta 96 A1 .40 cal since it's the most accurate of my handguns.
              I've been wanting to head out there and shoot for a while because that is the only place i can actually shoot my slide fire. I'm on vacation next week so more than likely i'll be out there one day next week. Also looking to shoot my 700 and see how good i can do. Let us know how the competition goes it does sound really fun and i'd like to try i'm just afraid of looking like a complete newb.

Comment

I went to ShootSmart yesterday and practiced conceal draw with live fire in the private lane. I was better than I thought I would be so I guess I'm somewhat ready. You can shoot rapid fire and class 3 in that lane, pretty cool range.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                  I've been wanting to head out there and shoot for a while because that is the only place i can actually shoot my slide fire. I'm on vacation next week so more than likely i'll be out there one day next week. Also looking to shoot my 700 and see how good i can do. Let us know how the competition goes it does sound really fun and i'd like to try i'm just afraid of looking like a complete newb.
                  Guy there told me they had a 3 gun comp a few weeks ago and a novice placed 3rd, he'd never shot in a competition before and he said it's a mix of novice, intermediate and pro. should be fun, I'll report back next week.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    Shoot Smart off of I-35 before the Cabella's exit. They have a private lane where you can draw from concealment, transition carbine to pistol, etc. Distance runs out to 20yards on the private lane. Very new place, very clean, great ventalation, great lighting, great staff.
                    Coooooool. Thanks

I went to ShootSmart yesterday and practiced conceal draw with live fire in the private lane. I was better than I thought I would be so I guess I'm somewhat ready. You can shoot rapid fire and class 3 in that lane, pretty cool range.
                    Awesome, hmmm....time to practice mag dumps.
                    Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

OP: TacPro? If so, I love that range. Who else keeps a dozen AI rifles in stock?
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                        OP: TacPro? If so, I love that range. Who else keeps a dozen AI rifles in stock?
                        Yes, it was TacPro and it is a badass range. We started at 8:30 and left at 5, it was hot as hell out there but they had plenty of water coolers around. it was TacPro's first combat pistol comp and there is room for improvement, they admitted that and will work to make the next one faster/better. Stage 2 was a bitch, 5 poppers up to 70 yards away and then 3 paper at 98 yards....yes I said 98 yards. I hit it twice out of 12 rounds, but massacred the poppers. stage 5 you had to sit in an old Army truck and jump out, fire at 3 poppers and then work left to right and also hit the 2 moving targets on a track at the back of the set up.

Great staff/RM's and good competitors also. I was lucky to get a 3 hour private lesson from Mike Harris of TacPro and also a champion shooter himself, he has a range in his back yard with around 30 poppers, he also has a course througout the property that he drives and shoots class 3 at targets. very cool dude and didn't charge me a penny for the lesson. Overall I did ok given the fact I'm a novice, I came in 14th out of 26 and my buddy got 12th. I will do it again.

Comment

Badass! I'm glad you had a good time. I love that place.

Yes, it was TacPro and it is a badass range. We started at 8:30 and left at 5, it was hot as hell out there but they had plenty of water coolers around. it was TacPro's first combat pistol comp and there is room for improvement, they admitted that and will work to make the next one faster/better. Stage 2 was a bitch, 5 poppers up to 70 yards away and then 3 paper at 98 yards....yes I said 98 yards. I hit it twice out of 12 rounds, but massacred the poppers. stage 5 you had to sit in an old Army truck and jump out, fire at 3 poppers and then work left to right and also hit the 2 moving targets on a track at the back of the set up.

Great staff/RM's and good competitors also. I was lucky to get a 3 hour private lesson from Mike Harris of TacPro and also a champion shooter himself, he has a range in his back yard with around 30 poppers, he also has a course througout the property that he drives and shoots class 3 at targets. very cool dude and didn't charge me a penny for the lesson. Overall I did ok given the fact I'm a novice, I came in 14th out of 26 and my buddy got 12th. I will do it again.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

This Competition is at 3milright I assume?

Comment

Slow and methodical

Comment

Working...
                              X