I guess broken 90s can be a good thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess broken 90s can be a good thing

One of the 24hourfitness gyms I go to has had a broken set of 90s for months. I hate it because that's what I use for shoulder presses. I decided to try the 95s, and hated the thought because that is a lot of weight to pop up. I got the weights up to the starting position and was able to finish the workout with two sets of 4 with them.

Not too shabby. I think I will keep using the 95s from now on and try to work my way up to sets of 6-8.

Curious, I've always done sets of 10-12...slowly with whatever weight I can. What made you go with 6-8? Always curious about that. I know high reps, low weight helps burn off some fat and get some muscle endurance in there, and lower reps higher weight can get some strength/mass - but what's the balance there?
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The old school thought was if u can get 8 reps, it's time for more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
        So with the lower rep count do you do more sets or stick with 3 (3 is what was taught to me back in middle school, so sort of just stuck on that)

Edit: Not trying to be annoying, just curious as to why people do what they do. I've been strong before, but never real muscular which is something I'm trying to get to this time and going forward.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Really depends on physiology and goals. Mass or tone, one is usually high weights the other high reps.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            So with the lower rep count do you do more sets or stick with 3 (3 is what was taught to me back in middle school, so sort of just stuck on that)

Edit: Not trying to be annoying, just curious as to why people do what they do. I've been strong before, but never real muscular which is something I'm trying to get to this time and going forward.
            Higher weight/low reps puts on size. Low weights/high reps cuts it up.

Most bodybuilders will pack on size and lift heavy during the off season, then when a competition nears, they will cut out heavy lifting and go for high reps/low weight. They also go nuts with cardio.

I've always found that my brute power stays up when I weigh around 220-225. When I lose weight even to around 210-215 I lose power, but gain endurance.

Comment

High reps don't help with cutting, that's an urban legend as old as Muscle & Fitness. When pros cut weight, some choose to switch to high reps because they lose strength from lowering calories and increasing cardio. There has actually been more scientific evidence that higher weight and lower reps, combined with shorter rest periods, is the most effective way to increase metabolism by lifting alone.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                High reps don't help with cutting, that's an urban legend as old as Muscle & Fitness. When pros cut weight, some choose to switch to high reps because they lose strength from lowering calories and increasing cardio. There has actually been more scientific evidence that higher weight and lower reps, combined with shorter rest periods, is the most effective way to increase metabolism by lifting alone.
                I haven't picked up a M&F in 20 years.

Who is going to cut out cardio ("lifting alone") when trying to cut up?

Comment

I haven't picked up a M&F in 20 years.

Who is going to cut out cardio ("lifting alone") when trying to cut up?
                  Reread, nothing was said about cutting out cardio.

If you haven't picked up a magazine, I'm fairly confident that you haven't done anything else to learn new information, either.

Comment

Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to fitness because everyone responds differently to workouts, but lifting light is a way to tear down muscle tissue (if you work hard enough) and serves as cardio when looking to cut. But even lifting heavy helps cut because the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Lifting light is pretty misunderstood, lifting light only means lightening up your weight in order to doing more reps, usually a range higher than 8, not that they are really light. You shouldn't be able to lift without struggling during the last couple reps.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt's girl View Post
                      Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to fitness because everyone responds differently to workouts, but lifting light is a way to tear down muscle tissue (if you work hard enough) and serves as cardio when looking to cut. But even lifting heavy helps cut because the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Lifting light is pretty misunderstood, lifting light only means lightening up your weight in order to doing more reps, usually a range higher than 8, not that they are really light. You shouldn't be able to lift without struggling during the last couple reps.
                      When I get to computer I'll provide multiple references as to why lighter weights isn't as effective for fat loss. It's a myth propagated by quack trainers and magazines looking to sell to people who don't want to hear someone tell them they are lazy. High rep training can lead to hypertrophy, but its still not as effective as cutting rest intervals.

Comment

I'll start a new thread, since this discussion doesn't really belong here.

Comment

I'll start a new thread, since this discussion doesn't really belong here.
                          Please do.
                          I enjoy reading and learning from your posts.

Comment

10-12 reps = muscle growth/hypertrophy
                            6-8 reps = strength gains faster/ less focus on hypertrophy.
                            12-15 + reps, stamina
                            2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by White_lightning View Post
                              10-12 reps = muscle growth/hypertrophy
                              6-8 reps = strength gains faster/ less focus on hypertrophy.
                              12-15 + reps, stamina
                              What do you have against 9?

Comment

Working...
                              X