No announcement yet.

2002 V-rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main disagreement with the v-rod ( I rode) isn't power infact I found it mostly underwhelming it's the fact the brakes sucked and the handling sucked even worse again on the one I rode.

I also strongly discourage folks from getting any GSXR or CBR ect even in 600cc form as a first street bike.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
      Actually I try to steer people away from any superbike 600cc or 1000cc as a first bike. A 100HP sub 400 lb bike isn't exactly a great choice for a first bike. Having dirt experience is a definite big plus.

I try to steer people onto standards (Naked SV650, FZ6, Ninja 500 or 250, CBR125, ect) or other similar bikes like dual sports as a first street bike. They're generally much more forgiving and practical as an everyday/starter bike than big cruisers, supersport bikes ect are.

Most of my riding Resume as far as the street goes is mostly standards and sport touring bikes with a sprinkling of dual sports, cruisers, and sport bikes thrown in there.

Cruisers, I don't care to ride them for the most part I drag the floorboards everywhere I go I'm not an aggressive rider by any means but I don't putt around either. Everynow and then I'll borrow my dad's Stratoliner for a short jaunt somewhere if I'm at their house without my bike which is pretty rare.

Dual Sports-Mostly my fun bikes here I have one currently and have owned them in the past and they would be my next choice behind a standard as a "starter" bike if you are capable of touching the ground on one.

Sportbikes-Lots of fun but not practical enough for my likes without modding it to be a streetfighter or something like that.

I have personal experience riding a V-Rod which was the "Street Rod" version I think with the drag bars and rear set pegs. Quite possibly the worst motorcycle I've ever thrown a leg over in my life. Maybe the more "traditional" cruiser type V-rods are better dunno but that experience turned me off from those bikes forever.

It doesn't make since to steer people away from sport bikes as a first bike.

My first bike was a zx14, my second was a meanstreak, which I had the at the same time as my third, a busa. I've rode all of them and personally the most fun are the liter bikes followed closely by a vmax. Buy what you like for how you intend to ride. I'm not a corner carver or one to like to hang the front tire up on a street bike. I like a powerful bike that will move out of its own way.

Having rode a Vrod I would say it is a cool all around bike that has plenty of power. A lot like my meanstreak, which I can say I have zero complaints about.

Comment

Stats say other wise. Yes a lot of that depends on you maturity level and that you are capable of resisting opening the cork on a 180+ MPH motorcycle.

My first bike was a 1200 Bandit. Gobs of torque and more than 100 HP. I survived but I'm also honest enough to realize that the big bore Bandit probably wasn't the best first bike path to take. It did give me an appreciation for smaller bikes though I've really enjoyed my smaller displacement bikes. Would I go 250cc? Probably not 500 isn't out of the question and most 600 cc bikes are going to be more than enough bike for most folks.
        2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

All bikes wreck equally as easily. It all depends on the owner.
          -2013 Mustang gt.

Comment

Agreed some seem to attract folks who crash more though haha. Don't be over 40 on a cruiser
            2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              All bikes wreck equally as easily. It all depends on the owner.
              x2

My first street bike was a retired FZR1000 drag bike, and my first dirt bike was a KX500, with no issues.

Bikes I have owned and ridden.

KX500x3, KX250x2, YZF426x2, YZ250x2, FZR1000 drag bike, V65, YZF1000Rx2 , GSXR1000 with Nos, ZX11 turbo, ZX9R, 954 RR, TL1000R, Vulcan 1600, Vmaxx, Vrod, FXD, and my HD FLHT which I ride now.

It all depends on what you want. Like I said in the other thread I am at a point now that I will buy another VRod and a good Twin sportbike. I missed a damn TL1000R yesterday that looked new for 4500.00, bikes a pig but I loved the way it looked ,sounded, and road. The VRod is a great bike and I love the way they ride. Brakes are just fine and you can mod the shit out of them. Will it hang with a modern sport bike? No, but it will still destroy most cars on the road. I do like the new Kawasaki Z1000R's though but think I have narrowed down my bikes I will buy and own for a while. I love riding my HD FLHT like no other. It is like a big ass moped with a nice stereo but I do miss the performance of a liter bike from time to time. The VRod was just something in the middle of the two.

Honestly if I had the money I would have a garage full of random ass bikes. I like them all and they all ride different and have different uses. I would even own one of them damn three wheelers that Can Am(I think) put out.
              Last edited by kingjason; 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                x2

My first street bike was a retired FZR1000 drag bike, and my first dirt bike was a KX500, with no issues.

Bikes I have owned and ridden.

KX500x3, KX250x2, YZF426x2, YZ250x2, FZR1000 drag bike, V65, YZF1000Rx2 , GSXR1000 with Nos, ZX11 turbo, ZX9R, 954 RR, TL1000R, Vulcan 1600, Vmaxx, Vrod, FXD, and my HD FLHT which I ride now.

It all depends on what you want. Like I said in the other thread I am at a point now that I will buy another VRod and a good Twin sportbike. I missed a damn TL1000R yesterday that looked new for 4500.00, bikes a pig but I loved the way it looked ,sounded, and road. The VRod is a great bike and I love the way they ride. Brakes are just fine and you can mod the shit out of them. Will it hang with a modern sport bike? No, but it will still destroy most cars on the road. I do like the new Kawasaki Z1000R's though but think I have narrowed down my bikes I will buy and own for a while. I love riding my HD FLHT like no other. It is like a big ass moped with a nice stereo but I do miss the performance of a liter bike from time to time. The VRod was just something in the middle of the two.
                The z1000 is on my short list of potential next bikes to own. I'm done with
                Sportbikes for anything other than track riding. I'm a retard. Its way too easy to haul ass and at this point in my life I don't have the self control to not be a jackass.
                -2013 Mustang gt.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                  all the v-rod's?
                  Disregard my drunk ass. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    The z1000 is on my short list of potential next bikes to own. I'm done with
                    Sportbikes for anything other than track riding. I'm a retard. Its way too easy to haul ass and at this point in my life I don't have the self control to not be a jackass.
                    I can agree with that. The TLR was fast but the twin made it fun to ride with out reving the piss out of it. Sport bikes are hard to ride slow.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Do you still have your night rod special? If so what year is it? I remember seeing pics of it with your brother's stryker.

I like the Stryker, Raider, Roadstar Warrior... and a few of the victory bikes as well
                      Mine is an 08 and it is my first bike, however, I have only put 500 miles on it in the couple of years that I have owned it. My brother now has 8,000 miles on his Stryker and has loved every minute of it.

I can't comment on whether it is a good/bad first bike as I have never taken another bike for a ride. Hell, I haven't even taken my brother's bike for a ride. A lot of the guys on the 1130cc forum recommended earlier in this thread said that the v-rod was a bad choice for a first bike because they are so fast. I disagree! It is peppy, but Jesus, it is far far from fast. I have thought about selling it and getting a sport(ier) bike, but all I do is cruise around so it suits me fine.

Comment

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Mike wanna make a screaming deal for me on the NRS? Love that bike!

Comment

That bike looks fucking sweet imo! I'd get it if you think the price is good.
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Mike wanna make a screaming deal for me on the NRS? Love that bike!
                            lol... I am sure you can find one a little more local.

Comment

My first streetbike was an Aprillia rsv-r ex-trackbike. I think somtime in the future, after I move out of the metroplex I might get a cruiser.
                              Ded

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                I can agree with that. The TLR was fast but the twin made it fun to ride with out reving the piss out of it. Sport bikes are hard to ride slow.
                                Pretty much. Torquey bikes are more fun to ride in a "sane" manner. And all that really means is I won't go 180mph. I'll just get to 90mph really quick. Lol
                                -2013 Mustang gt.

Comment

Working...
                                X