Tire reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire reviews

I know this is a bit of a stretch but I am about to get some new tires for the Suburban (2005 Z71 4x4) and looking at the below Hankooks as the lowest price vs desired tread:

I don't really want to go with Mud Terrains but want something a little more aggressive than the BFG ATs on it now. And would rather not spend $300+ per tire.

TIA!
    Last edited by Chili; 05-27-2014, 05:48 PM.

These Duratracs aren't bad looking either but I previously had a set on my Bronco and wasn't a big fan because the sidewalls were pretty weak (felt really bouncy). That said, I bought those at Walmart and from what I have read the Walmart versions aren't as good as the standard versions:

Comment

There are a few others I like but they are all at least $50 a tire more than the Hankooks, and I don't like them THAT much more..

And FWIW, I don't care about road noise. Nor am I too worried about longevity as I probably won't put more than another 20k or so on this truck.

Comment

I had the Hankooks on my Tahoe. They were E rated, so really HD for the application. All in all though, not bad. We had 60k on them when I sold it and the noise wasn't horrible.

Comment

Also thinking about the Kevlar Wranglers:

But again, those are $61 more a tire, so they would really have to be a lot better to justify the $240 more (plus tax).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            I had the Hankooks on my Tahoe. They were E rated, so really HD for the application. All in all though, not bad. We had 60k on them when I sold it and the noise wasn't horrible.
            The ones I linked are D, which should be plenty, but I would expect some more flex in them. I just want to make sure they aren't squishy like some high floatation tires I have had in the past.

Comment

I've had the Duratracs on 3 of the last trucks/SUV that I have owned. I loved them.
              GREAT offroad, snow, wet, dry, etc. Looking at the tread you would think they are loud, but aren't bad at all. I would put them on my truck now, but I don't plan on keeping it long enough to justify the cost. I would recommend them. You sure you didn't get the generic Kelly Safari I think they are ? I had those on a work truck. Same tread design, but they wore uneven and were shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                I've had the Duratracs on 3 of the last trucks/SUV that I have owned. I loved them.
                GREAT offroad, snow, wet, dry, etc. Looking at the tread you would think they are loud, but aren't bad at all. I would put them on my truck now, but I don't plan on keeping it long enough to justify the cost. I would recommend them.
                Thanks for the input! I like the traction on the ones I had, but even on the Bronco, they made it feel like I pulled the shocks off. From your rec, and what I have read about the Walmart versions I had, it may not be a concern.

I am just not real happy with the BFG AT's once they are a few years old. The traction sucks ass on the street and off road.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Thanks for the input! I like the traction on the ones I had, but even on the Bronco, they made it feel like I pulled the shocks off. From your rec, and what I have read about the Walmart versions I had, it may not be a concern.

I am just not real happy with the BFG AT's once they are a few years old. The traction sucks ass on the street and off road.
                  I edited my post after you replied.... You sure you didn't get the generic Kelly Safari I think they are ? I had those on a work truck. Same tread design, but they wore uneven and were shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    I edited my post after you replied.... You sure you didn't get the generic Kelly Safari I think they are ? I had those on a work truck. Same tread design, but they wore uneven and were shitty.
                    They were plainly labeled as Goodyears, but as we both know, the pull that Walmart has means manufacturers will lower their standards of quality to meet the demanded price point.

Comment

What ever you do, don't buy the Goodyears. I a set and only got 25k (being generous) with a Mazda truck. We ran a lot of Nitto and Toyo tires for several of my customers that were in the oil/gas industry. I have had great luck with the BFG AT's and pretty good luck with the MT's. I don't really have any good or bad to say about Hankooks, they just seem like a normal tire but I do not see those often.

Comment

Don't know the size you are looking for, dick cepeck fun country tires might be worth looking at for ride and price. I'm running nokian vatiiva Mt and are very happy with them but they quit making them a couple years ago. Have to find a new tire for myself in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          They were plainly labeled as Goodyears, but as we both know, the pull that Walmart has means manufacturers will lower their standards of quality to meet the demanded price point.
                          Word.

Comment

ive got 15k miles on these 35's. will buy another set when these wear out.

Discount Tire Direct is retiring, but check out our partners at Tire Rack! With tires and wheels for virtually every vehicle make and model, Tire Rack is your new source for the best prices and selection for online and mail-order purchases.

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I've been damn impressed with my Toyo Open Country MTs. Believe it or not, they have lasted longer than the Open Country ATs I had before these, and they still have a good bit of tread on them. My only complaint is the noise. It's not as bad as a lot of mud tires I've heard, but it's loud enough at highway speeds to bug me sometimes. They make a newer, more aggressive Open Country all terrain now (maybe AT Extreme?), so I'll probably try those when the time comes for new ones.
                              Last edited by jluv; 05-28-2014, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X