How to cut Plexiglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut Plexiglass

How do you cut Plexiglass without it chipping? I've heard of score it & snap it - but this 1/4" stuff.

Some say use a fine blade in a jigsaw. I have a die grinder, but I think that will melt it.....

Jigsaw with masking tape centered on the cut line.

Comment

^ yup thats how we did it in shop class
      WRX

Comment

Not a fine tooth blade - it will create too much heat and it will melt back together behind the blade.

Comment

I used one of those rotozip deals with good results, but you need something to brace it on or it will walk all over the place.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I know someone who uses a router, and a table saw with a plastic cutting blade.

You should coat the blade in beeswax to help with heat build up..

Comment

Table saw works great.

You can buy scoring blades at any hardware/hobby store. Use a straight edge and secure it and the plex in place. Pull the blade toward yourself with moderate pressure. Do this 4-5 times and then put the cut line along the edge of a table and press down on the overhang to snap it.

Depending on size, a frame shop should be willing to cut it with their wall cutter. I believe Lowes and Home Depot also have wall cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post

You can buy scoring blades at any hardware/hobby store. Use a straight edge and secure it and the plex in place. Pull the blade toward yourself with moderate pressure. Do this 4-5 times and then put the cut line along the edge of a table and press down on the overhang to snap it.
                That's how I've done it. I learned that way from working with glass.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                  That's how I've done it. I learned that way from working with glass.
                  Yep. When I was a little kid I used to make stained glass art pieces and this is how I always did it.

Comment

Fine tooth table saw blade and finish it up on a router/jointer for a smooth edge.

Comment

just go slow, plexiglass will heat up the blade super fucking hot and it gum up. I suggest you use some coolant. That's how I cut aquariums for years.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I worked at Lowe's cutting glass and plexi. All I would use was a sharp blade, score it 5-6 times, place on the edge of a table and snap.

Comment

Table saw with a high tooth count. If you want a nice edge use a router or a jointer on it after the cut. If you need help shoot me a PM I have worked with the material for years in thickness up to 2" and have all the tools. Tim knows whats up as well.

Comment

Free hand jig saw with whatever blade is in the saw.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X