DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Technology Rules

Technology Rules iPhone suxx, Q/A for all computer, networking, phone, and gaming issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #61
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member
 
Tx Redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 14,150
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck
Default

TBH man, I'd run a cat5 cable to the desktop, wireless can be flaky. I only use wireless where I have to or where potential problems won't matter. But that's just me...
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #62
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
no worries, the way your going is the way to learn fo' sho'. What's the service tag on the Dell?
What is that and where do I find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
TBH man, I'd run a cat5 cable to the desktop, wireless can be flaky. I only use wireless where I have to or where potential problems won't matter. But that's just me...
I just got back from Frys and the guy said the same. I said the router is going to be 10ft way and he said I should be okay being that close. Just the way the room is set up, its on another wall and there's not room for the computer over there.
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #63
Craizie
Cracka
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
What is that and where do I find it?

I just got back from Frys and the guy said the same. I said the router is going to be 10ft way and he said I should be okay being that close. Just the way the room is set up, its on another wall and there's not room for the computer over there.
I have 50/50 nets and with the below wireless card I get steady 15 down from steam. it's also the only device that's connected to my route via wireless or wire, so there's that, too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #64
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
I have 50/50 nets and with the below wireless card I get steady 15 down from steam. it's also the only device that's connected to my route via wireless or wire, so there's that, too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I saw the usb ones and wasn't sure how good they'd be. I ended up getting this for now to get online and download the drivers and stuff I need. I saw I need to update my Bios before I swap out the processor, so I'm really wanting to get online to get this moving along.

Wireless-N Speed Up To 300Mbps
TP-link 300mbps Wireless N Pci Adapter

Frys #: 8604320Brand: TP-LinkUPC : 845973050641Model: TL-WN851ND
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #65
GeorgeG.
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Van Alstyne
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
What is that and where do I find it?

I just got back from Frys and the guy said the same. I said the router is going to be 10ft way and he said I should be okay being that close. Just the way the room is set up, its on another wall and there's not room for the computer over there.
Is a silver tag, usually on the back of the case. It's a 5 or 6 digit code that you can look up drivers and it will also give you the specs that the PC came with. You can get the latest BIOS update from there too.

dell.com/support
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #66
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
Is a silver tag, usually on the back of the case. It's a 5 or 6 digit code that you can look up drivers and it will also give you the specs that the PC came with. You can get the latest BIOS update from there too.

dell.com/support
Cool...if I can get online tonight, Ill try to do the Bios update and then hopeful change that Processor this weekend...Just realized I forgot the thermal paste.
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #67
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,018
Default

I got connected online tonight, suggested virus protection?
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #68
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member
 
Tx Redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 14,150
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck
Default

Pcmatic.com
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #69
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,018
Default

I'll check that out tonight ty sir!
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #70
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,018
Default

I just wanted to add that the Q6600 processor and 1050ti graphics card are working great! I let the game decide where to put the graphics ratio on GTA5 and most everything is very high and at full capacity as far as traffic and peds. I'm very impressed with the game play for a free old ass computer and $250 in upgrades.
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
svo already banged her

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.