Need some advice on disciplining a 13 yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on disciplining a 13 yo

A lot of you bastards may not know but I'm getting married and with that marriage comes 3 step kids. One of which is 13 years old. He's a good kid, listens for the most part and doesn't talk back. But his school work... is fucking horrible and I've been nice for too long to let this shit slide. I just want to know what you guys have done with your 13 year olds (Male) discipline wise. I'm still new to all of this

We've grounded him from everything and also JUST took his phone away.

landscape stone and long walks.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      landscape stone and long walks.
      Trust me that's already crossed my mind LOLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
        A lot of you bastards may not know but I'm getting married and with that marriage comes 3 step kids. One of which is 13 years old. He's a good kid, listens for the most part and doesn't talk back. But his school work... is fucking horrible and I've been nice for too long to let this shit slide. I just want to know what you guys have done with your 13 year olds (Male) discipline wise. I'm still new to all of this
        Reason # 123908234908253098234 not to marry someone with kids. Too many fish in the sea to inherit someone else's problems.

If you beat them, CPS will get involved. If you give them military style punishment, CPS will get involved. You're fucked, buddy.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Take away all electronics. No gaming system, computer, tablet, internet access, etc. And be firm that it's gone until his grades improve.

Comment

piss on his bed while hes at school.

Comment

Originally posted by thatismyelcamino
              Have you tried hitting them?

Comment

Give me my phone back, you aren't my dad!!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Seriously though, start with taking things away. Make him earn them back with good grades. If that doesn't work, go military style. Make him move piles of bricks, or dig holes, then fill them back in. Nitpick everything while he's doing it. You have to make him learn that anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time. If he doesn't do it right, make him do it again. And again and again and again. He will eventually figure it out and apply it to all areas.

You will also need to sit down with him every night, go over what homework he has, etc. Check all work. If something is wrong, tell him it's wrong, but let him figure out why it's wrong on his own. Only help if absolutely necessary.

My last resort is spanking. Not because I'm afraid to whip their asses, but because it isn't necessary most of the time. Don't get me wrong, it's fitting for some punishments, but whipping his ass over bad grades isn't going to fix the root problem permanently.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                    Trust me that's already crossed my mind LOLOL
                    lol

I dont know how to help you, man. I went through that myself as a kid, and just had to outgrow it, I guess. My parents tried a lot of different things, assuming that I just didnt give a shit and were trying to motivate me. Hell, my stepmom said she would give me $100 for a straight A report card, and the best I could pull off was barely passing. Sometime around 15ish I was getting straight A's without trying. Never really thought about what changed, not sure I can say.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Reason # 123908234908253098234 not to marry someone with kids. Too many fish in the sea to inherit someone else's problems.

If you beat them, CPS will get involved. If you give them military style punishment, CPS will get involved. You're fucked, buddy.
                      I let momma take care of that dirty work bullshit. And they're great kids. Just the grades thing is what's pissing us off.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                        Give me my phone back, you aren't my dad!!!!!
                        LOL!!!!! Tough shit, I'm the one that pay's for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                          piss on his bed while hes at school.
                          Thought of that too!

Comment

Best advice yet, the best way is usually the hardest with kids. Mine sure do learn the hard way!

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Seriously though, start with taking things away. Make him earn them back with good grades. If that doesn't work, go military style. Make him move piles of bricks, or dig holes, then fill them back in. Nitpick everything while he's doing it. You have to make him learn that anything worth doing, is worth doing right the first time. If he doesn't do it right, make him do it again. And again and again and again. He will eventually figure it out and apply it to all areas.

You will also need to sit down with him every night, go over what homework he has, etc. Check all work. If something is wrong, tell him it's wrong, but let him figure out why it's wrong on his own. Only help if absolutely necessary.

My last resort is spanking. Not because I'm afraid to whip their asses, but because it isn't necessary most of the time. Don't get me wrong, it's fitting for some punishments, but whipping his ass over bad grades isn't going to fix the root problem permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                              This guy knows what's up.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X