Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDC what do you carry and how? Plus scenario.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is something I need to better address myself. I commute about 50 miles one way, work in the metroplex but live in a small town outside of it. At an average speed of 3mph it would take me about 16 hours to get home, probably closer to 20 - 24 including rests. I always have a large water bottle with me at work, but it would not be enough for that walk. Usually have a handgun locked in a steel compartment in my truck, but rarely remember to move it to the jeep when I drive it. So I need to sort that out, but also need to get a small backpack for each vehicle with power bars, extra water, socks, and maybe a poncho, space blanket, sweatshirt, and a pair of pants. I wear FR's at work and fuck walking 50 miles in them. Everything I need to get home would be cheap to put together for each vehicle, just need to do it. Hell I might go by academy after work and grab the few things I need ad build the kits up and be done.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      This is something I need to better address myself. I commute about 50 miles one way, work in the metroplex but live in a small town outside of it. At an average speed of 3mph it would take me about 16 hours to get home, probably closer to 20 - 24 including rests. I always have a large water bottle with me at work, but it would not be enough for that walk. Usually have a handgun locked in a steel compartment in my truck, but rarely remember to move it to the jeep when I drive it. So I need to sort that out, but also need to get a small backpack for each vehicle with power bars, extra water, socks, and maybe a poncho, space blanket, sweatshirt, and a pair of pants. I wear FR's at work and fuck walking 50 miles in them. Everything I need to get home would be cheap to put together for each vehicle, just need to do it. Hell I might go by academy after work and grab the few things I need ad build the kits up and be done.
      A contractor cleanup bag works much better than a space blanket.

My suggestion is to get another gun to keep in your other car and to always make a point of keeping one on your person along with a good knife and flashlight.

The XMRE brand has pretty good prices and they have a 24 hour model that I like to carry in my bag. Get an edge account at Brownells and you get about 8 percent off of the normal price and free shipping on them or hit me up and I can order them for you. The food from Academy requires too much water to prepare and is tough to eat on the go.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

If y’all are looking for a nice small pocket flashlight I recommend this. Led light fairly bright and very small about 2” long and about as wide as a AAA battery. And they are around $20.

I have this on me when I’m not at work. At work I have a pocket size streamlight I always have a flashlight on my. Between that and my multi tool and my knife I almost never need anything else. Now in a situation like this would be different but for day to day edc i feel good.

My normal edc. Don’t carry the M&P I have a glock19 with a TLR-1 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put together 'get home' bags for Lea and I last year.. Here is my basic set up:

I typically have a handgun on or around me, and always carry a pocket knife. In my Jeep I have a bunch of useful stuff in the 'permanent' cargo areas. If I have the time I would grab some of that stuff (better flashlights, knives, extra magazine) but could easily get by with just the backpack kept in back.

In the backpack I carry:
          • 32oz Nalgene bottle, full
          • Life Straw
          • Multitool (Leatherman)
          • Fixed Blade knife (just an inexpensive Mora Robust)
          • Emergency blanket / tarp - The thicker one with reflective on one side
          • Mylar blanket
          • ~100' of 550
          • Ferro rod and bic lighter
          • Waterproof tinder
          • Extra magazine for my pistol and an OWB holster
          • Med size first aid and trauma kit (bigger than a small IFAK but not as big as the one that is mounted in the Jeep)
          • Flashlight and small keychain light
          • Couple extra AA batteries
          • Protein bars
          • Button Compass
          • Shemag
          • Gorilla Tape
          • Boonie Hat
          • Bandana
          • Heavy Duty Ziplock Bags

There is some more but I can't think of it all offhand and Lea's is very similar. I'll add more when I think of it. Both are med to small, all black backpacks. We both work within about 10 miles from home, so that was my main focus on these. They should be good for a 10 mile trek and could probably cover 2-3 people, plus enough to stay out overnight one or two nights, if we are having to move discreetly / stay out of sight. Both of us have wooded areas between work and home that would be suitable to hide out and camp overnight, if needed.
          Last edited by Chili; 08-29-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Nice, Chili. That's a good list -- simple and short but will do the job. One thing I have in all my packs and vehicles is glow sticks. Down side is you can't turn them off if you need to douse light but the upside is they provide light for a long time without using batteries. I bought 100 of them a year or so ago. Kids used them for Halloween, power outages, etc. and I have plenty stashed.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              Nice, Chili. That's a good list -- simple and short but will do the job. One thing I have in all my packs and vehicles is glow sticks. Down side is you can't turn them off if you need to douse light but the upside is they provide light for a long time without using batteries. I bought 100 of them a year or so ago. Kids used them for Halloween, power outages, etc. and I have plenty stashed.
              Yeah, chemlights are good to have, good point! I have some with our camping stuff but honestly hadn't thought about throwing a couple in my bag and in the Jeep. Good for marking stuff without using bright white light, too. We used to use them a lot in the Army. We had these covers for them, so we could 'turn them off' or to expose just a little light:

Added a couple of items I remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                A contractor cleanup bag works much better than a space blanket.

My suggestion is to get another gun to keep in your other car and to always make a point of keeping one on your person along with a good knife and flashlight.

The XMRE brand has pretty good prices and they have a 24 hour model that I like to carry in my bag. Get an edge account at Brownells and you get about 8 percent off of the normal price and free shipping on them or hit me up and I can order them for you. The food from Academy requires too much water to prepare and is tough to eat on the go.
                I have another pistol I can throw in the jeep so not an issue there. Unfortunately I work in a controlled area so no go on carrying all the time. But I always have a flashlight and knife on me, plus I work maintenance so I usually have a few large tools nearbye.

Comment

Wow I feel pretty "naked". Because I work from home most of the time I don't carry a GHB of any kind whenever I go into the office/anywhere unless some kind of event is going on at the time i.e. bad weather or the police shootings last year. Normally when I go into the office I bring a change of clothes so I can work out in the gym after work, Glock 43, holster, and a spare mag, either my Spyderco PM2 or my Benchmade Griptillian, one of my Surefire flashlights plus a tiny single cell flashlight that's always in my work bag, and a separate bag that I keep an assortment of cables and chargers.

Couple of things I didn't see on here that I think is good advice is to keep an offline copy of Google Maps of your AO in case you need to navigate around and there is no cell signal. Never know when "the lights go out" and you need to find an alternative way home or find an alternative place to bug out to temporarily. Also do any of you guys have a way to lock up your firearms for when you can't bring it with you i.e. work or some other restricted place? I have a Gun Vault for a handgun and something bigger for locking up a rifle/shotgun if need be. Just curious.

Since I'm going to add a couple of Glock 9's to my collection pretty soon, I might pick up a Kel-Tech Sub2000 that can easily be stored in a vehicle and could use the same magazines and ammo as my pistol.

Comment

I just started building up another bag for my wife, at her request, so I'll check in here regularly.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    3-4 days of food and a camp stove? I said get home not gtfo of dodge. My BoBs have that kind of stuff. And I'm not sure how much hiking you've ever done but carrying 3-4 days of water is suicide. Sure it's a "good idea" and in theory it's great; reality teaches you otherwise really quick.
                    I know he clarified in a later post, but to make a point, the general rule of thumb for planning is 3 hrs without shelter (in shit conditions), 3 days without water, 30 days without food.

Originally posted by David View Post
                    Have a mk18 sbr under the backseat with 15 mags in a bag.
                    <3

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    I'm also thinking about putting a light bolt action rifle in my truck too in case a pistol is not enough.
                    On this note though, the odds of you having a gun stolen from your car are much higher than you needing that gun in a GTFO situation. Is it really smart to just leave a rifle in your truck?

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                    I'm the gray man.
                    That.

Originally posted by KBScobravert
                    If I'm heading to Costco though, it won't be on foot. I won't be alone. I'll be better armed and use better tactics.
                    If Costco is anyone's backup plan they'd better wait a good while for the retards to sort out their shit and kill each other off. Otherwise, you're right... manpower and tactics.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    I put together 'get home' bags for Lea and I last year.. Here is my basic set up:

I typically have a handgun on or around me, and always carry a pocket knife. In my Jeep I have a bunch of useful stuff in the 'permanent' cargo areas. If I have the time I would grab some of that stuff (better flashlights, knives, extra magazine) but could easily get by with just the backpack kept in back.

In the backpack I carry:
                    • 32oz Nalgene bottle, full No camelback bladder?
                    • Life Straw Why not a pump filter? Drinking on the spot is good, but being able to carry water is better if you're not sure of your next source.
                    • Multitool (Leatherman)
                    • Fixed Blade knife (just an inexpensive Mora Robust)
                    • Emergency blanket / tarp - The thicker one with reflective on one side Sounds like a luxury, but quite a few people pack up a hammock also. Something small - ENO or similar - to keep you off the ground if it comes to that
                    • Mylar blanket
                    • ~100' of 550
                    • Ferro rod and bic lighter
                    • Waterproof tinder
                    • Extra magazine for my pistol and an OWB holster I like the OWB holster. No point in concealing and delaying a draw if you've hit the point that the bag has become necessary
                    • Med size first aid and trauma kit (bigger than a small IFAK but not as big as the one that is mounted in the Jeep)
                    • Flashlight and small keychain light
                    • Couple extra AA batteries
                    • Protein bars
                    • Button Compass
                    • Shemag
                    • Gorilla Tape
                    • Boonie Hat Light and small... but made me chuckle
                    • Bandana
                    • Heavy Duty Ziplock Bags

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                      Wow I feel pretty "naked". Because I work from home most of the time I don't carry a GHB of any kind whenever I go into the office/anywhere unless some kind of event is going on at the time i.e. bad weather or the police shootings last year. Normally when I go into the office I bring a change of clothes so I can work out in the gym after work, Glock 43, holster, and a spare mag, either my Spyderco PM2 or my Benchmade Griptillian, one of my Surefire flashlights plus a tiny single cell flashlight that's always in my work bag, and a separate bag that I keep an assortment of cables and chargers.

Couple of things I didn't see on here that I think is good advice is to keep an offline copy of Google Maps of your AO in case you need to navigate around and there is no cell signal. Never know when "the lights go out" and you need to find an alternative way home or find an alternative place to bug out to temporarily. Also do any of you guys have a way to lock up your firearms for when you can't bring it with you i.e. work or some other restricted place? I have a Gun Vault for a handgun and something bigger for locking up a rifle/shotgun if need be. Just curious.

Since I'm going to add a couple of Glock 9's to my collection pretty soon, I might pick up a Kel-Tech Sub2000 that can easily be stored in a vehicle and could use the same magazines and ammo as my pistol.
                      If we are talking walking home in a shitty situation, sounds like the only thing you really need is water and maybe some snacks. Maybe a non-tactical looking backpack, compass, and paper map of DFW (or wherever you are) would be good. In a pure get home situation, lite and fast is key.

Comment

I like the idea of a lifestraw in the BoB. Does Camelpak have an inline filter for their backpack reservoirs? I didn't find anything on a Google.
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I haven’t seen one. Would be a smart idea of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They used to but now that I'm looking everywhere shows unavailable.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              I like the idea of a lifestraw in the BoB. Does Camelpak have an inline filter for their backpack reservoirs? I didn't find anything on a Google.
                              Google water bottle adaptor for camelbak. You can then fill camelbak from regular water bottles.

You could then use a filter pump to fill a bottle and fill the camelbak or try to pump straight into the pak if theres an adapter somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                                Google water bottle adaptor for camelbak. You can then fill camelbak from regular water bottles.

You could then use a filter pump to fill a bottle and fill the camelbak or try to pump straight into the pak if theres an adapter somewhere
                                OK I remember coming across this a while back and saved the video. Looks like I'll have to go this route.

Comment

Working...
                                X