Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espresso Machines

Hi Fellas,

I drink coffee. I love coffee. I mostly drink black coffee, americanos, and straight espressos with an occassional mocha. My wife likes various lattes.

So after running numbers, it makes a lot of sense to finally buy an espresso machine. I’ve use one every time I go into the office. I’ve gotten pretty good at it to the point that co workers ask me to make drinks for them when I’m there.

So I’m shopping around for a new machine. I was thinking of getting a Breville semi automatic like this one: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...es&isx=0.0.871

I’m mainly looking at it because my wife has several gift cards we can use to get about $300 off on the price. There are some reviews that say Breville machines don’t last more than a couple years so I’m just checking here to see who here might have experience with Breville machines or if you might have a better recommendation. I’m willing to spend up to $1500 but I’d like to keep the price down if I can.

Thanks...

I was in the exact same boat, had about $200-300 in gc's, but the reviews were kinda meh on that machine. I think there are some forums out there that are more help, but I didn't want one that bad. lol. Best thing to do would be scoop one up from the restaurant supply auctions.

Comment

Have you looked into Flavia?

I have this machine at home.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post

https://www.marsdrinks.com/solutions...-creation-200/
          I use that kind of machine 2-3 times a day but for coffee,tea and hot chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post

https://www.marsdrinks.com/solutions...-creation-200/
            Yea, while the versatility is pretty cool, I'm just not into full automatics with throw away carts. As I said, I'm pretty good at making these things and I want to actually try getting a little better. It's kinda fun for me.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting. I'll research that a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              I have one of these. Used to use it all the time, but got bored with it I guess. It does work really well though, and will do what you want for a lot less $$$

Cold brew is where it's at these days though. Hit Central Market, mix up some of their "103 High Octane" and "Texas Pecan", coarse grind it, and mix up a batch in a french press in the evening, strain it and pour it in the morning over ice with a touch of cream. Any more than one decent size cup the next morning and I'm too wired to be useful.

Comment

It's the traditional way to make espresso. One of these will outlast 3 of those fancy machines. Get a stainless steel one and not aluminum. You have to replace the seal about once a year. Couple bucks each. I've had one for over 30 years and made a "b'gillion" cups with mine.

Comment

OK, so I changed it up a bit and went with the Breville Twin Boiler. I haven't ordered a grinder, but I'm considering the Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill, which is a hand driven mill. It's cheap and came pretty well recommended. I'm just out a few bucks if it doesn't work out but I'm still thinking on it. I don't need to pull the trigger until tomorrow. Any grinder suggestions would be appreciated.

The reason I went with this espresso machine is the twin boilers. One for hot water and one for steam. All the reviews have it as a top notch prosumer machines. It appears to be very well thought out too. Also, unlike other Brevilles, this one has a two year warranty. I'm going to buy an extended warranty with it as well.

There are a lot of nice features on it that I like. The ability to refill the water from the front is one. It has a hot water tap and a three hole milk frother. I really like the timer that can warm it up for me on a schedule. No waiting in the morning. Then there are several other little touches that tell me this is a well thought out machine.

I seriously considered the Moka Express but passed it up for two main reasons. One is that there is no milk frothing option for this but the 2nd and bigger reason is because I entertain a bit and I envision making multiple Irish coffee, espressos, cappuccinos, Mocha, etc. etc. A third, but lesser, reason is simply time. I can program this machine to be ready to go with hot water at 6:30 and just start making an espresso with almost no wait. In other words, I talked myself into spending a $1000+

Comment

OK, so I changed it up a bit and went with the Breville Twin Boiler. I haven't ordered a grinder, but I'm considering the Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill, which is a hand driven mill. It's cheap and came pretty well recommended. I'm just out a few bucks if it doesn't work out but I'm still thinking on it. I don't need to pull the trigger until tomorrow. Any grinder suggestions would be appreciated.

The reason I went with this espresso machine is the twin boilers. One for hot water and one for steam. All the reviews have it as a top notch prosumer machines. It appears to be very well thought out too. Also, unlike other Brevilles, this one has a two year warranty. I'm going to buy an extended warranty with it as well.

There are a lot of nice features on it that I like. The ability to refill the water from the front is one. It has a hot water tap and a three hole milk frother. I really like the timer that can warm it up for me on a schedule. No waiting in the morning. Then there are several other little touches that tell me this is a well thought out machine.

I seriously considered the Moka Express but passed it up for two main reasons. One is that there is no milk frothing option for this but the 2nd and bigger reason is because I entertain a bit and I envision making multiple Irish coffee, espressos, cappuccinos, Mocha, etc. etc. A third, but lesser, reason is simply time. I can program this machine to be ready to go with hot water at 6:30 and just start making an espresso with almost no wait. In other words, I talked myself into spending a $1000+

Comment

MAN! I gotta get up to Erie!
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        MAN! I gotta get up to Erie!
                        Let's do that.. Can't be this weekend though. Going to Vale.

Comment

This one will get it as fine as you need and is fast. Screw the hand crank, (I have the exact one) those take forever....

Comment

In other words, I talked myself into spending a $1000+
                            Well fuck, you must be the wealthiest fucker on the planet!

I'm already scaling back after moving to Colorado. The new house ($468000) is 400sqft smaller than our Denton house (which was 2400sqft) but cost $1000 extra per month ($2444 a month total) even though I put $90K down. The fees for a license plate are flat out robbery. I sold the Porsche, the week before moving, because it would cost about $1500 to license it (and $1000 to ship it). I killed DirecTV (cutting the cord completely). I also have to pay income tax now and I'm just getting started with the extra costs of living here.

But my wife is happy and I get great mountain views. I'll buy another Porsche, but it'll be used this time around.

So y'all can pull my baller status now. $180K a year is just middle class around here.
                            Confirmed!
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                              Well fuck, you must be the wealthiest fucker on the planet!

Confirmed!
                              and I'm having the best earnings year of my life. I've blown past my quotas. Absolutely demolished it. I have no idea how I'm going to exceed that next year.

Good thing too, I had a lot of unexpected expenses from the move.

Comment

Working...
                              X