Antivirus recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I've got an issue with the desktop I am using for my vinyl work.

Started on new years, it was sounding an alarm, constant tone. So I just turned it off to deal with another day. When I booted it up, it went to the safe mode screen, so I started windows normally thinking it was just some fluke. Get into windows, nothing will open. So I re-start, things work OK for a few minutes then BSOD and a physical memory dump.

Re-start again, safe mode, things seem to work OK.

Re-start again, safe mode with networking, download PCMATIC, but it wont work in safe mode. Re-start again and begin scan. At this time I notice Windows security manger or whatever it is, is now running. I do not recall ever turning it on. PCMATIC gets about 5% into scanning and computer crashes. After a couple of re-starts I get it to perform a full scan, 5 issues found, 3 deleted, 2 unable to repair. It is identifying explorer.exe as an issue and I am getting multiple instances (3) showing in a scan.

I've scanned several times, even downloaded additional AV's and ran them. Still getting the BSOD

This is a Dell optiplex 790 running WIN7 Pro that I have added some RAM into. Tonight I am going to pull the additional RAM and see if that fixes the issue.

Anyone have any insight into what might be going on? Any known issues? I tried a couple of google's and didn't return many recent responses.

I've got a spare SSD that I'm toying with the idea of loading a linux platform on and running everything from there to hopefully avoid this issue in the future.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post

Started on new years, it was sounding an alarm, constant tone. So I just turned it off to deal with another day. When I booted it up, it went to the safe mode screen, so I started windows normally thinking it was just some fluke. Get into windows, nothing will open. So I re-start, things work OK for a few minutes then BSOD and a physical memory dump.

Re-start again, safe mode with networking, download PCMATIC, but it wont work in safe mode. Re-start again and begin scan. At this time I notice Windows security manger or whatever it is, is now running. I do not recall ever turning it on. PCMATIC gets about 5% into scanning and computer crashes. After a couple of re-starts I get it to perform a full scan, 5 issues found, 3 deleted, 2 unable to repair. It is identifying explorer.exe as an issue and I am getting multiple instances (3) showing in a scan.

I've scanned several times, even downloaded additional AV's and ran them. Still getting the BSOD

This is a Dell optiplex 790 running WIN7 Pro that I have added some RAM into. Tonight I am going to pull the additional RAM and see if that fixes the issue.

Anyone have any insight into what might be going on? Any known issues? I tried a couple of google's and didn't return many recent responses.

I've got a spare SSD that I'm toying with the idea of loading a linux platform on and running everything from there to hopefully avoid this issue in the future.
        run these two things

Download Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 2023 for free to remove adware, bloatware, unwanted toolbars, and other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your Windows PC. AdwCleaner destroys adware and restores your PC's performance.

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is custom built by Malwarebytes that removes adware, unwanted toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).

if that doesn't work then run this

Rootkits are one of the most malevolent and hardest types of malware to detect and remove from your device. Learn how Malwarebytes removes rootkits before they cause damage.

Comment

Try Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes chameleon at boot if needed.

Linux Mint is good if you want to delve into that world.

Comment

Is the sound coming from the mother board or through your speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              Is the sound coming from the mother board or through your speakers?
              I don't remember. It only happened once on NYE. I THINK it was from the MOBO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't remember. It only happened once on NYE. I THINK it was from the MOBO

Sounds like a hardware failure.

Comment

I decided to just go ahead and re-format and install windows. Tried to load up win10 with no luck, I thought maybe my disk was bad so I went back with win7 ultimate. The installation returned a hardware issue. I've tried pulling the new RAM out and running just the old ram, no luck. I went the other way running the new RAM and leaving the old out, no luck. Swapped the HDD out for my spare SSD, no luck. At this point, I'm about to chalk it up to a loss. I paid $50 for this thing and I guess I got my money's worth out of it.

Comment

I figured. If you know what MOBO you have you can look up the manual and it should tell you what's wrong. It will either have lights blinking in a pattern, sound beeping in a pattern, or an LED that's displaying a numerical code... but if it was $50 I'd just get a new PC and save myself the trouble.

Comment

I decided to just go ahead and re-format and install windows. Tried to load up win10 with no luck, I thought maybe my disk was bad so I went back with win7 ultimate. The installation returned a hardware issue. I've tried pulling the new RAM out and running just the old ram, no luck. I went the other way running the new RAM and leaving the old out, no luck. Swapped the HDD out for my spare SSD, no luck. At this point, I'm about to chalk it up to a loss. I paid $50 for this thing and I guess I got my money's worth out of it.
                      wasn't this a Antivirus recommendations thread?

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                        wasn't this a Antivirus recommendations thread?
                        It was. I figured since the original concern was a virus and those involved in the thread seemed to be in the know, I would post here instead of a whole new thread

Comment

It was. I figured since the original concern was a virus and those involved in the thread seemed to be in the know, I would post here instead of a whole new thread

haha just messing with ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            Sounds like a hardware failure.
                            Bad memory module. Looks like one of the 4GB dimms I picked up a few months back went bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                              PC MATIC from PC Pitstop is all I use anymore.
                              For some reason I thought that pcmatic was a bogus deal. Im about to download it but I just want to make sure it isnt a joke that im not keen to?

Comment

100% legit, US made and supported.

Comment

Working...
                                X