Need advice with tig welder purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice with tig welder purchase

I am looking to purchase my first tig welder and I don't know much about welding. I need to weld in a chromoly cage and weld up some stainless turbo piping. I will have about $2k to spend but I want to make sure what I purchase will be right for the job. Anyone know of a setup that will do what I need good or do I need to save more money?

tac,

With $2K to spend, you can get a nice entry level TIG set up. Miller and Lincoln both have nice machines. I have also heard good things about the Everlast line, but don't have personal experience with those.

The Lincoln square wave tig 175 is a good machine that fits into your price range. It will be a good choice for your race car work.

Best,

Tom

Comment

Hawk craislist for one. I picked up a brand new Miller 250dx for 2200 on there.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
        Hawk craislist for one. I picked up a brand new Miller 250dx for 2200 on there.
        Damn, nice find.
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Look early every morning and you will find the same deals but do not pussy foot around about calling the moment you see the ad. You have to be ready to go RIGHT THEN and have cash in hand or you will miss out.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            Hawk craislist for one. I picked up a stolen brand new Miller 250dx for 2200 on there.
            FTFY
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I have a used Miller Econotig I never use. I can do beautiful things with Steel but am next to worthless in aluminum. My technique is terrible. ac/dc and stick welder. Was lightly used by a race team for 3 or 4 years when I bought it. I have used it less than 5 times.

Looks like they go for $1200-1300 with no bottle. $1450 (cash/firm) and I Will include large bottle/Cart and just so happen to be coming to Dallas on 3/2.

Has some tungsten, some filler rods of various types including inconel, a gas valve, foot pedal and a layer of dust.

Let me know and I can bring it with me.

Comment

I purchased an everlast a couple years ago. It is an ok welder that takes some getting use to before you can lay a nice bead. It is not near as smooth of a welder as lincoln or miller. I would suggest a miller if you can find one.

Comment

sounds like aggi has what you need, thats a good deal and solid seller.

Comment

Don't know much about tig welding but want to weld in a chromoly cage?

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
                      thats one way to get started!

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post

No point in being a toe dipper when you can just dive right in.

Comment

I've got the same econotig as aggie97. I bought it used and haven't had any issues with mine.

Comment

Working...
                          X