DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #21
4king
---E
 
4king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,399
Default

Congrats!

My wife and I got lucky and some one had backed out on the home plans, we got the 3.5 car garage and the media room for free because whoever initially put money down on the lot and design backed out before ground breaking.

One thing I was able to negotiate was the concrete pour on the driveway, I was able to get ours widened at no cost

I also reccomend thinking through closet locations. Our builders blue print had no downstairs coat closet, something my wife and I picked up during first walk through after initial framing
__________________
4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4king View Post
Congrats!

My wife and I got lucky and some one had backed out on the home plans, we got the 3.5 car garage and the media room for free because whoever initially put money down on the lot and design backed out before ground breaking.

One thing I was able to negotiate was the concrete pour on the driveway, I was able to get ours widened at no cost

I also reccomend thinking through closet locations. Our builders blue print had no downstairs coat closet, something my wife and I picked up during first walk through after initial framing
These are built with nice, wide driveways, and with the side entry, there's plenty of space in the drive. We found a couple of doorways to have put it, like from the master closet to the laundry room, and a door for "attic access" to the area that would be the media room. Im trying to get a double door there, in case I get a wild hair and finish that media room out myself.

We did a few things that arent on the option list, like extending the island in the kitchen two feet. It's only long enough for 3 places, I wanted 4.

__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!
 
Sean88gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 46,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
It'll suck a lot less in a few months when I have my own. Im already planning out where I want the doors, lift, etc.
The side dealer?
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #24
Chas_svo
86 SVO 344rwhp 'n gaining
VIP Member
 
Chas_svo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Driving the car that just passed you...
Posts: 4,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
I didnt care about the media room, we have one now that we never use. The wife thought it would be a great idea, then when we saw the price, she changed her mind quick!

...
Well, I don't have room in my garages to work, and no shop...so we watch too many movies? It would be less important if I had a shop. Wah!
__________________
13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Daily
86 SVO
'03 F150 supercrew
01 TJ - new toy (gone)
65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold, 3/21/13
Chas_svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
Chili
Joe Blow
VIP Member
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Euless
Posts: 24,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
It'll suck a lot less in a few months when I have my own. Im already planning out where I want the doors, lift, etc.
Make sure you point it the right direction for the sun if you have the flexibility! I guess North would be best so you can have the door(s) open without letting sun inside..
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
4king
---E
 
4king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,399
Default

The only other thing that really sucked was going to the whole sale designers stuff. Picking out the carpets, counter tops and bricks etc

They rushed us pretty hard through the walk through selections, so it's a good idea to try to get an idea of the standard and upgrade styles you have available for things like fixtures and carpets before hand. When you have 5 minutes to decide what floor you want in the bathroom for the rest of your life it's kind of a stressful situation

Also we did not upgrade the carpet and we both really wish we would have. The standard stuff seemed thick and fluffy initially but after only a few months even not being used it's gotten stiff and crushed. Some of the premium stuff stays much nicer and doesn't get matted quickly
__________________
4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #27
Ratt
Any eye L
 
Ratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Frisco
Posts: 20,019
Send a message via AIM to Ratt
Default

I would gladly pay $8k right now to add a third bay in my two-car garage. Suburban-home garages are so small
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #28
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Still not luvin da police...
Posts: 32,914
Default

Very nice digs.

Like Chili stated, I learned from my first two houses that I bought and on my third I had specific needs, like house location, it had to face the south. Most master bedrooms are towards the back of the house, so I needed that room to back up to the north as well as my patio, no direct sun baking that room or my patio.
On the carpet, you need to upgrade for the good freize (sp?) type that will last 10 years or more, no need to skimp here, trust me. Also tile and wood flooring are your friends.
I know you said you have a shop, but a third car garage is mandatory, the extra room is worth it, ask me how I know.
I'm not familiar with that builder, but make sure you get a H.E.R.S. rating or they offer that, my H.E.R.S is very low and my electric bill is under $150.00 in the summer with the A/C set at 72 during the day and 68 at night. In the winter my elec. bill has been under $80.00.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #29
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Make sure you point it the right direction for the sun if you have the flexibility! I guess North would be best so you can have the door(s) open without letting sun inside..
the garage door will face north and very slightly west. Back porch faces eastish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4king View Post
The only other thing that really sucked was going to the whole sale designers stuff. Picking out the carpets, counter tops and bricks etc

They rushed us pretty hard through the walk through selections, so it's a good idea to try to get an idea of the standard and upgrade styles you have available for things like fixtures and carpets before hand. When you have 5 minutes to decide what floor you want in the bathroom for the rest of your life it's kind of a stressful situation

Also we did not upgrade the carpet and we both really wish we would have. The standard stuff seemed thick and fluffy initially but after only a few months even not being used it's gotten stiff and crushed. Some of the premium stuff stays much nicer and doesn't get matted quickly
we did that Sunday. It really sucked, but my wife and I both tend to like similar things, so it went reasonably well. We didnt upgrade much since the upgrades/colors kinda sucked, and werent worth paying extra for. Id didnt like the granite color selection, but the upgrade colors sucked just as bad...

Carpet is only in the upstairs and bedrooms, and the stairs since I couldnt convince the wife to do anything otherwise. The entry and living areas are wood-look tile, and the kitchen/breakfast is a 18x18 ceramic.

But you're 100% right, it sucks trying to decide on everything, color of cabinets in the bathrooms, tile color in the shower, etc. We ended up doing mostly everything the same with the exception of tile size for the wet walls. Same color, just 13x13.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #30
Mach1
rm -rf /
 
Mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Royse City, TX
Posts: 8,990
Default

Congrats!!! Prepare yourself for the ass beating that is to come, it was extremely stressful for me but worth it once everything was hashed out.
__________________
WTB:A9P Computer, please let me know if you have one.
Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
Congrats!!! Prepare yourself for the ass beating that is to come, it was extremely stressful for me but worth it once everything was hashed out.
Thanks. Im already having to talk the wife down. She's the nervous type anyway. Im still surprised I can qualify for this kind of mortgage without selling my house first, but they had no problem with it.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #32
Nate
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 17,128
Default

Congrats Mang!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #33
4king
---E
 
4king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,399
Default

Yeah its the same in our house, the only carpet is in the master bedroom downstairs and then upstairs which we hardly even go up there. Our master bedroom carpet shows trails even after we use a carpet rake.

Also I didn't get the covered patio either, our house it was like $18k extra, but I really wish I would have thought to make them lay down a larger concrete pour
__________________
4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #34
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4king View Post
Yeah its the same in our house, the only carpet is in the master bedroom downstairs and then upstairs which we hardly even go up there. Our master bedroom carpet shows trails even after we use a carpet rake.

Also I didn't get the covered patio either, our house it was like $18k extra, but I really wish I would have thought to make them lay down a larger concrete pour
That's what we did, normal pour for our plan was 4x8, covered was something like 8x14, we went 20x14.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #35
jluv
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Choobs FTW
Posts: 22,037
Default

Congrats, man!
jluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #36
8mpg
Lifer
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 23,891
Default

Watch the construction like a hawk. They will try and cheap out and cut corners on everything they can get away with. The city inspectors usually dont care and dont try hard to find issues.

Also, if you decide to try and finish out that attic to a media room later, make sure the floor joists are designed to take the weight. If not, you are going to end up with cracked drywall and what not down stairs
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #37
46Tbird
Yip Yip Yip
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 40,523
Default

Badass man, congradulations!!
__________________
When the government pays, the government controls.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #38
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Watch the construction like a hawk. They will try and cheap out and cut corners on everything they can get away with. The city inspectors usually dont care and dont try hard to find issues.

Also, if you decide to try and finish out that attic to a media room later, make sure the floor joists are designed to take the weight. If not, you are going to end up with cracked drywall and what not down stairs
Outside the city limits, so no city inspector. I'll be all over them, especially since Ill be 10 miles down the road shacking up with the inlaws.

The attic area isnt decked without the room there, but the plans arent any different on the framework.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #39
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member
 
YALE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Qin
Posts: 30,462
Default

Congratulations man!
__________________
ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh
YALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #40
Captain Crawfish
Lifer
 
Captain Crawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 17,826
Default

Make sure your escrow is started from day 1. Get started paying those taxes make sure it's getting done. Don't wait for the surprise 2 years later
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
house ownership lolz @nay, nice guest house, svo has bigger garage, svos garden shed isbigger

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.