This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acrotom View Post
    Just a thought, but if you are going to the trouble of modifying the store bought hole saw, it may be worth while to make your own hole saws with a higher tooth count?

Some tubing is pretty thin, and the hole saws have large gaps between the teeth. The cutting action chatters pretty bad - particularly when the hole saw is passing through the middle of the tube - because the tubing falls between the teeth on the hole saw. (although this is probably less of a problem with race car fabrication where tubing is typically 0.065" or thicker)

I have looked for hole saws that have teeth similar to a hack saw blade, but have not found anything.

Perhaps some enterprising (machinist type) feller could wrap a piece of tubing with a band saw blade (with about 24-32 teeth/inch), and braze it all together to make a fine tooth hole saw.

I'm too lazy for that, so I just use store bought hole saws and cut very slowly.

Tom
    I agree, more teeth would be much easier to cut with.... but, I suspect, that on larger hole saws, that would probably work - but for the smaller stuff, say <2", you might have a hard time bending a band saw blade that abruptly. I bet you'd probably have to use a smaller tubing to wrap the blade over to get the radius you are actually after. Then there's the attachment, brazing should work, I don't have a feel for how hot a blade can get before it's no good. TIG welding it may be a viable alternative - you can take it in place and only get a pea size space hot... hmmm....

Comment

10 tpi metal hole saws do exist. I don't know if they are fine enough but.... http://www.medfordtools.com/metalworking/holesaws.html

(And as before, great post.)
      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

You guys are falling behind here, we need some new posts.. I'm adding to the original and editing the title.

Comment

If you're cutting tube/bar with a hack saw/sawzall and are making a straight cut, get a hose clamp and line it up with where you want to make your cut and you can use it as a guide for the blade to get a straight cut.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            If you're cutting tube/bar with a hack saw/sawzall and are making a straight cut, get a hose clamp and line it up with where you want to make your cut and you can use it as a guide for the blade to get a straight cut.
            Somebody has been watching "gearz".

Comment

Here's a good one, I use this a LOT

This nut is welded in place to facilitate the cutting of the notch for this tube to fit over. In this case, a 5/16" nut is tacked in place to hold the pilot drill for the 1 5/8" hole saw. This time a nut was used because of the height of the centerline in relation to the top of the tube. If the centerline were further from the surface, I'd just use a small scrap of steel and drill a hole through it. This works with any size hole saw, any kind of material (thin wall tubing, round our square). If you can do this in a drill press, it's that much better.

This is the finished product.

Comment

^ thats a damn good idea with the hole saw.

thanks for that tip!

Comment

the hole saw tip is bad ass, nice share
                  -Blaine

Comment

Excellent information! Thanks Tom!

Comment

A lot of Great Info on this! Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by chandlercoker View Post
                        Excellent information! Thanks Tom!
                        who is Tom?

Comment

Tom = Brooks, conspiracy !!
                          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                          X