No announcement yet.

17K mile 96 Impala SS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right.. Dominion... been awhile. I think those heads were cursed. I knew of a few people who had them who never did anything with them. It's kind of like a few who were trying to make a name for themselves by designing a roots blower for the LT1. They had schematics and prototypes and promises, but each one of them disappeared a short time later.
    I'd been to Harrington's shop a few times and used his dyno once, which seemed to be surprisingly accurate, but other than that, no fucking way would my shit be left there for any work done. One of my visits I had the honor and privilege of watching good ol' Bob Norwood blow up a Porsche.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
      Right.. Dominion... been awhile. I think those heads were cursed. I knew of a few people who had them who never did anything with them. It's kind of like a few who were trying to make a name for themselves by designing a roots blower for the LT1. They had schematics and prototypes and promises, but each one of them disappeared a short time later.
      I'd been to Harrington's shop a few times and used his dyno once, which seemed to be surprisingly accurate, but other than that, no fucking way would my shit be left there for any work done. One of my visits I had the honor and privilege of watching good ol' Bob Norwood blow up a Porsche.
      Bob Norwood...now that's another name I haven't heard in a while. I had a friend who worked for him for a while. I heard rumors about a viciously fast quad turbo Testarossa he had but never saw it in person. I think most performance vendors quit catering to the LT1 crowd shortly after the LS motor was introduced because it honestly is a LOT more capable. LT1's were the end of the traditional SBC and were good for their time...but progress must go on.

Comment

Fuck optispark btw

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          LT1's were the end of the traditional SBC and were good for their time...but progress must go on.
          Absolutely. I got LT4 ported LPE heads and intake at cost from them. They were scheduled to do 100 Hurst Firebird packages and when the LS1 came out they abandoned everything LTx to start R&R with the new platform.
          Yes, that same Bob Norwood also tuned an MR2 that he claims pulled the wheels in 3rd gear on I-20 when he was turning it at Alamo Autosports in Arlington. I think he also supposedly tuned a car for John Carmack that one of the car magazines did a feature on and they had nothing but problems with it.

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          Fuck optispark btw
          It fucks you right back. Especially when you don't know what you're doing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
            I dont know if any of ya'll remember Chris Harrington and Team Dynotech in Garland...I had him tune mine on the dyno shortly after it became an option back in like 1998..after my LT4 hot cam, headers, exhaust, and shaving the heads down slightly (long expensive story there) and using Impala SS head gaskets..made 2 passes at Ennis and could only run 13.7@102 mph..went to Dynotech..drove in and put down 311rwhp running VERY rich...made 3 dyno runs while making some programming changes...drove out making 352rwhp thru an A4..he told me it was making about 430 at the crank. Went to Ennis again 2 days later and ran 12.89@109. Could've gone with a bigger cam but I was concerned it might not pass emissions.
            He did some work on a buddy of mine's Imp. Had a Kim Barr built 396 in it and a small shot. Was a stout SS for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
              Absolutely. I got LT4 ported LPE heads and intake at cost from them. They were scheduled to do 100 Hurst Firebird packages and when the LS1 came out they abandoned everything LTx to start R&R with the new platform.
              Yes, that same Bob Norwood also tuned an MR2 that he claims pulled the wheels in 3rd gear on I-20 when he was turning it at Alamo Autosports in Arlington. I think he also supposedly tuned a car for John Carmack that one of the car magazines did a feature on and they had nothing but problems with it.

It fucks you right back. Especially when you don't know what you're doing with it.

Norwood was the first to break 1k hp in a mr2/s engine. It ran one pass and melted, rebuilt it and it failed again. Pulling the wheels in 3rd in a mr2 would be a sight to see. Especially the lag a big turbo 2 has.

Comment

Working...
              X