Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mudjacking (lifting) a sidewalk

Anyone done this before?

My front walk as it meets the curb is about 2inches lower than it is further back.

Any rain/wash/soil collects here during weather and just looks like shit.

I'd like to raise the edge up and level the panel out so its smooth, and evidently mudjacking (injecting concrete under pressure) underneath will do it.

Its a single panel, about 4'x4' nad maybe 3-4 inches thick. think it'd be more expensive to re pour it.

is that the city or.the home.owners when sidewalk are adjacent to the back of curb?

Comment

Sidewalks are city property. If it is your lead walk it is yours.

May need a concrete saw, or someone to cut and remove the section.

I would re-pour it. A hammer drill some rebar and a couple of 2x4's and you can make up a form. Shouldn't be more than a yard of concrete, if that.

I would think the equipment for mud jacking, if you could rent it, would be expensive.

If you live close to any new construction, stop by a jobsite when they are making up a foundation and see if they will do it for cheap.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I had a guy that used to come in my store and buy bottle jacks. He would dig a hole big enough to put it down there, jack it up, then fill it up with concrete with the jack still in place. Said it always worked. lol He also repaired walls and brick mailboxes with the same method.

Comment

That's a pretty interesting solution, I'll have to check and see if that is doable.

Comment

I used a jack also. I didn't leave it though lol.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              I had a guy that used to come in my store and buy bottle jacks. He would dig a hole big enough to put it down there, jack it up, then fill it up with concrete with the jack still in place. Said it always worked. lol He also repaired walls and brick mailboxes with the same method.
              this seems to be common practice among the not so professionals but I havent seen any problems with it either.

Comment

If you can jack up a house with a bottle jack, it will work on a sidewalk

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  Guy I work with bought a house in south Texas. It was all sorts of jacked up from the pier and beams being all screw up. I think he used like 12 bottle jacks and straightened it right out.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                    I used a jack also. I didn't leave it though lol.
                    Me too.
                    poly-mor.ca

Comment

Same procedure we use when lifting a house, especially more extreme lifts (2-3" or more). We call it mud pumping. A few well placed holes drilled in the slab, and then pump a slightly runny concrete mixture into the holes. Not sure we've ever done it on a sidewalk before, but I was discussing doing a driveway with a customer yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by spencermoseley View Post
                        Me too.
                        fuck off, canuck

Comment

Working...
                        X