No announcement yet.

Windows 7/8/10 opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a simple, free utility to block the forced "upgrade".http://www.zdnet.com/article/never10...ows-10-update/

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      Here's a simple, free utility to block the forced "upgrade".http://www.zdnet.com/article/never10...ows-10-update/
      Nice! I went in and switched my updates off from recommended to manual. Oddly enough, I've found that was switched back to recommended sometimes. :S
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        Yup, we just had official announcement today. Now we all work for NTT Data!
        I work for another subsidiary of NTT (NTT America). I think it will work out well for Perot systems and NTT.

That NTT DATA indy car is pretty slick!
        DamonH

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
          I work for another subsidiary of NTT (NTT America). I think it will work out well for Perot systems and NTT.

That NTT DATA indy car is pretty slick!
          Yeah, I worked for Verio when NTT bought Verio back in 2000.

Maybe it's me they're after!

Comment

I know shit about computers, but my laptop had 7 and I did the upgrade on it to 10 and I love it.

Comment

I finally gave in and updated my win7 laptop to 10a few weeks ago. So far I haven't had any problems and it seems to be a little more snappy during general use.
              "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                Yup, we just had official announcement today. Now we all work for NTT Data!
                I hope it works out for everyone. I worked at Perot back in 2005-07 and built their first VMware cluster. Spent a year teaching everyone about virtualization before I left for EDS. I've still got a lot of friends in the Plano office.

Comment

As for Windows 10, I've come to like it more than Win7. It has been very stable for me. The new administrative controls will be a boon for sys admins.

That said, I'm back to using OSX for my work machine and it's kinda nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    I hope it works out for everyone. I worked at Perot back in 2005-07 and built their first VMware cluster. Spent a year teaching everyone about virtualization before I left for EDS. I've still got a lot of friends in the Plano office.
                    I've been here since 09, was a Perot employee for a short period of time, then Dell.

This is a great thing for us.

Comment

Went with Windows 10, got a cheap system on Newegg, but all I do is surf a few sites, and read debug levels logs for work. $600 for this little fucker...

CybertronPC Rhodium GTX950 (Blue) Gaming Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-4300 (3.80 GHz) 2 GB GeForce GTX 950 8 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Comment

There are only a things I don't like about Windows 10:
                        • The inability to change Windows updates from Automatic to Manual. I know why they did it, but I don't care. I'm not the average, stupid end-user who doesn't frequently check for updates thus leaving myself vulnerable to code exploits, and I don't like being treated like a baby when it comes to being forced to install updates. ESPECIALLY when a lot of the recent updates have had to be uninstalled or rolled back.
                        • The overly invasive Windows generic driver installations, which have overwritten/replaced several WORKING drivers I had already installed. (This seems to be happening a lot less frequently now, after a few round of updates from Microsoft)
                        • The goofy places some of the settings are located. This has been somewhat remedied by the MUCH IMPROVED Windows Search function, but I'm still used to where these settings changes were in the last 5 versions of Windows.

Other than those things, I love Windows 10. I haven't seen any compatibility issues with anything, but I can understand why people are frustrated when their workplace is too cheap to pay for upgrades to something that is compatible.

Comment

i hate windows updates. i also hate upgrades. i like to install a fresh copy but that didnt seem to be an option so i performed the upgrade and went from 8.1 to 10.

used it for a few months before it started crying that it was out of hard drive space. turns out it was sitting on 80+gb of temp files of shit it downloaded. it's self-diagnosis utility is thing that reported the size & type but the option to clear the items out does nothing.

i found and deleted the temp files manually.

i have also since disabled updates completely after uninstalling every single one. all good since. overall win 10 adds some nice polish to things windows 8 left hanging. gotta say i still prefer windows 7 best
                          www.hppmotorsports.com
                          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I used to like Windows 7, until I got multiple monitors. The native multi-monitor support in Windows 7 is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              I used to like Windows 7, until I got multiple monitors. The native multi-monitor support in Windows 7 is garbage.
                              I was thinking of getting an upgraded monitor. I have 2 ACER 22" DVI monitors currently on Win 7 Pro. I was thinking of getting a 27'ish inch LCD-LED HDMI connection for the new rig. Got one for Lyn, with built in speakers so she has less of a footprint on her desk. Not sure tho... I'd still use one of these to run duals, but it would look funny with that much of a difference in size

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                                I was thinking of getting an upgraded monitor. I have 2 ACER 22" DVI monitors currently on Win 7 Pro. I was thinking of getting a 27'ish inch LCD-LED HDMI connection for the new rig. Got one for Lyn, with built in speakers so she has less of a footprint on her desk. Not sure tho... I'd still use one of these to run duals, but it would look funny with that much of a difference in size
                                Any particular reason you want to go HDMI instead of DVI? What model ACERs do you have?

Comment

Working...
                                X