Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building my first PC on a budget...need opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shots fired!

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
      He also wants to be able to play newer games...
      I'm pretty sure I addressed that. If you use nvidia shield, you can use the power of your desktop machine anywhere in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
        I'm pretty sure I addressed that. If you use nvidia shield, you can use the power of your desktop machine anywhere in the house.
        and you are assuming he has a PC that can do that...the point of the thread was to build a PC that can do that.
        QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
          and you are assuming he has a PC that can do that...the point of the thread was to build a PC that can do that.
          The point of the thread was to create a media pc, or are you to busy trying to sound like a prick to read the whole sentence?

If anyone here hasn't tried it, nvidia shield is pretty bad ass, and their are other platforms if you dont have nvidia that will stream your desktop to your tv with minimal latency ( I think i get about 10ms latency, its not noticeable). I dont know why anyone would build a media pc anymore when any of the streaming platforms work perfectly, especially for playing video content. But then again what do I know.

Comment

Can't we all just compute nicely together?

Comment

The point of the thread was to create a media pc, or are you to busy trying to sound like a prick to read the whole sentence?
              You're still assuming he already has a pc that would be capable of playing new games at demanding settings.

Given that he also stated he's using his xbox for "most" gaming, I wouldn't imagine he has a gaming pc that could do what you're suggesting he try.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                You're still assuming he already has a pc that would be capable of playing new games at demanding settings.

Given that he also stated he's using his xbox for "most" gaming, I wouldn't imagine he has a gaming pc that could do what you're suggesting he try.
                I'm not assuming anything, I'm trying to help someone make a better decision. If I were to want a gaming platform, I would build it as such and use something else to stream it and everything else to the TV. No sense in cluttering up your entertainment center with useless crap. I would never build a media center compter post 2012, its just a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Where'd you find a 480gb SSD for under $100 and what brand?
                  [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-480GB-Internal-SP480GBSS3S55S25/dp/B019WARKRE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _detailpage_o02_s00[/ame]

Thanks Abec X for your suggestion, but honestly have no clue about any of the stuff you're talking about. All I have right now is a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

As far as the other computer goes, still gonna wait for the GTX 1070. All the reviews I've watched/read say that it's worth it. Performance between the 970 and 980. On par with a single titan x in most games at less than half the cost.

I did get this little gadget today that's been pretty sweet, since I'm always watching movies with my laptop hooked up to my tv.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Multifunction-Portable-Rechargable-Raspberry/dp/B011JWJBSY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _detailpage_o00_s00[/ame]
                  "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I have dual titans.

http://abe.cx/titans.jpg
                    I thought o e of those titan boxes has a gtx770 I. It..
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                      I thought o e of those titan boxes has a gtx770 I. It..
                      It did, I bought an open box Titan from Amazon. I was very surprised Amazon didnt ask any questions or put up a fight for a $1k video card when I sent it back. I bought another titan and put it in jackies and gave her the 4k monitor and the 144hz for me, then I bought her a GTX980 since she never plays her computer and put the second titan in mine. Her computer now runs the VR machine.

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                      Thanks Abec X for your suggestion, but honestly have no clue about any of the stuff you're talking about. All I have right now is a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
                      If thats all you have thats even better. My advice/suggestion was to build a regular nice desktop computer, and then to use a cheap Android device ( roku, amazon fire, etc ) to stream video to your tv and to play games. You can use Nvidia's shield protocol to play your computer games on the TV over the network. I'll put some pictures of me playing on various devices. Building a dedicated media PC, at least to me, is just not worth the money, build a nice gaming machine instead.

Shield lets me use my insane desktop to play games on underpowered devices.

iPhone

tv
                      Last edited by abecx; 06-07-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

dual Titans for Wow.... seems like overkill

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          dual Titans for Wow.... seems like overkill
                          I havent played WoW in a while ( to clairfy, more than a few minutes ) in probably 15 months. 4K is pretty fucking demanding on a video card regardless of the game. WoW with everything maxed and zoomed out is actually aggressive as hell on the video card ( anti-aliasing ).

Comment

Seems like a good way to have some pretty bad input lag while gaming.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                              Seems like a good way to have some pretty bad input lag while gaming.
                              I thought so to, until I tried it. Since its on the local lan, its perfectly fine. I typically average 1-5ms of increased latency with spikes to 10ms which simply isn't noticeable, I could probably negate the spikes by using bigger packet sizes. I use wired internet for all computers in the house and usb/ps2 keyboards. I dont like to game on the tv, but when I do you cant tell a difference which still blows my mind and is why I am recommending it.

Comment

I thought so to, until I tried it. Since its on the local lan, its perfectly fine. I typically average 1-5ms of increased latency with spikes to 10ms which simply isn't noticeable, I could probably negate the spikes by using bigger packet sizes. I use wired internet for all computers in the house and usb/ps2 keyboards. I dont like to game on the tv, but when I do you cant tell a difference which still blows my mind and is why I am recommending it.
                                I notice lag like crazy with similar setups. I don't know how you're avoiding it.
                                Sorry, but I just don't think you're that concerned about the lag.

Hell, even doing an xbox one to a windows 10 pc is fucking laggerific.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X