Made small hole in shingle!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made small hole in shingle!!!!!!

Need some advise on how to fix this small hole I made in middle of valley.

Was trimming some branches away from roof top. All but this one piece got away from me and landed in middle of valley. Now I have s small about diameter of a paint can cap.

What's the best way to fix this. Was going to hit up HomeDepot here in a few, but wanted some info before I head out there

Did it go through the decking?

If so, to fix that hole and give it some structure you can use a piece of metal flashing under the shingles.

It looks like that is at a ridge or hip? With a putty knife or other wide flat utensil break the seal in the shingles and remove that tabs that are damage and replace. Use some roofing adhesive to seal them down so you make it through the cold weather with no wind damage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Reading ownz me this morning. I see now that it is a valley. That may be a little more complicated because it carries so much water. We generally put heavier tar paper in the valleys. Not real sure how that will affect the repair.

If you can, get a bigger picure showing a larger field of the roof.

Either way, it will take removing and replacing some shingles. The key in that area is to make sure you don't have any water penetration after the repair

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        Did it go through the decking?

If so, to fix that hole and give it some structure you can use a piece of metal flashing under the shingles.

It looks like that is at a ridge or hip? With a putty knife or other wide flat utensil break the seal in the shingles and remove that tabs that are damage and replace. Use some roofing adhesive to seal them down so you make it through the cold weather with no wind damage

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
        Can you just like, come over or some shit?
        Done

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
          Done
          Lol. My roofing days are over. I did my 8x12 shed. Took me 2 days and $300. My roofer offered to do it for $200 turn key. Ended up screwing myself on that deal

Comment

LOL at Brad

I can jump back up there take a wider pic.
            Yea, it sucks it's in the valley.

Comment

get a tube of caulking tar

Comment

Flex seal and a screen door, done.

Comment

Is this wide enough pic

Oh, and it DID NOT damage the decking

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    Flex seal and a screen door, done.
                    This!
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Will go check that stuff out at HD

Comment

really Flex seal? it's not like roofers haven't been using tar on roofs for well over a 100 years

Comment

thought about flex seal, but ended up going the route of replacing that shingle.

HD guy gave me some shingles and piece of that tar paper for free.

I did buy couple tubes of Henry's rubberized wet patch from what he recommended. To put around the edges of the paper and then shingle on top of that.

Hope this works

Was having a good day and was going to smoke some ribs.....oh well...learned my lesson

Comment

Sooooo

Here's my expert work

I cut out the top piece you saw with hole and removed. l left the bottom piece there. I took 1 shingle piece and basically cut in half.
                            I tucked it in on top of the bottom piece. then I took other half and tucked it on row above it. Had rough time trying to tuck that 2nd piece on very top. You can see part where it is not completely under that other row of shingles.

In between the 2 piece, I put plenty of the rubberized caulk around edges and on top layer that is tucked under the shingles that are on the rights side of the valley

damn shit roughed up my knuckles..haha

Last edited by Rafa; 02-11-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Looks like you should be good. Personally, I would flood that shit with water and make sure it isn't leaking. Just to make sure you got it put back together good.

Comment

Working...
                              X