ported e7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ported e7s

What's the going rate to port some stock heads? Is it worth it?

I personally think its a waste of money. Find a used set of alum heads.

Comment

Word on the streets is that its not worth the price to port E7/GT40 heads unless your porting them yourself for free. But then you really gotta know what your doing or you can screw up a good set of heads easy...
      1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the same answer from everyone.

Comment

Turkey, like said above, if you're doing it yourself, or you find a steal of a deal - I'd pass.

At the very least, get a good set of GT40's - or a used set of aluminum heads.

You gonna make it to dyno day?

Comment

Yep, I plan on going.

Comment

I have a set with guide plates, studs, 1.6 RR's and porting. They're currently on my 289 if you're interested.
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

You can find a pair of 3-bar or 4-bar GT40/GT40P heads that will flow as well as ported E7s for around $150-200. They will need valve springs replaced, but you would want to do that with OEM heads anyway.

Once you start talking about all the normal machine work to get a set of ~20yr old heads nice again, you are at the point that an entry-level set of aftermarket heads isn't too much more.

I gotta say though, I just put some 3-bar GT40s on my 289 and it woke up pretty good.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  You can find a pair of 3-bar or 4-bar GT40/GT40P heads that will flow as well as ported E7s for around $150-200. They will need valve springs replaced, but you would want to do that with OEM heads anyway.

Once you start talking about all the normal machine work to get a set of ~20yr old heads nice again, you are at the point that an entry-level set of aftermarket heads isn't too much more.

I gotta say though, I just put some 3-bar GT40s on my 289 and it woke up pretty good.
                  I wish the $160 ones in the classifieds had been for sale a few days earlier, we JUST did a cam swap on the 69 Saturday.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You can find some used aluminum heads for around $600 or some brand new Pro Comp 190's for around $500.

Comment

Agree with what has been stated. I have seen some dudes that work some kind of magic on e7's and run ridiculous times at the track. What about Patriot heads?

Comment

buy a used set of trickflow 170s and you will be way happier
                        Big Rooster Racing
                        1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                          You can find some used aluminum heads for around $600 or some brand new Pro Comp 190's for around $500.
                          are the pro comps worth it? All I have read on the forums is that you have to put some money into them just to make them worth it, and by the time you are done you should have just bought a decent set of heads

Comment

i have a set of 4 bar on my car that i picked up for $100. even got the machine shop receipt from the guy.

Comment

If you go the DIY route for porting E7's there is a ton of detailed information on the web. I did a set last fall. It wasn't difficult, just pay attention to the details. I wish that I could tell you how well it improved the way the car runs,....but, my junk ain't running yet. :-(

Here are a couple of links to get started with:

Comment

Working...
                              X