'13 Stang has high pitched whine from engine compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '13 Stang has high pitched whine from engine compartment

For several months my car has made a high pitched whining noise that I can not figure out. I thought it was the fuel pump perhaps, but it is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment, so that's out.

Here is a clip of the sound, it stops at 1000 RPM, only does it when it wants too, but today, it did it while I was in the garage and at a complete stop. Jammed a stick betwen the seat and gas pedal to try and track it down.

No idea Rob, but I'd take it in.

Comment

I did, couldn't duplicate it, picked it back up tonight. Now, of course, it does it all the way home!!! Even drove around with the Tech for 10 minutes, not a peep... Get on 114, it starts. Pull into the garage, and this is the first time I could make it happen on demand.

Another clip.

I'm driving to Colorado this weekend, so I'm glad it isn't the fuel pump!

Comment

This fucken thing, I swear!!! Could never get it to make the noise on demand, but now, it seems once it gets really hot (after driving 20+ minutes or so) it does it. I have now been able to press the gas while the car is not moving and get the whine. I am thinking alternator perhaps. So much crap in the way, and it is kinda dark in the garage, so I couldn't tell exactly where it comes from, but I'm thinking alternator. Not many moving parts that could whine under the hood.

Tried the old screw driver touching different parts, handle to the ear trick, couldn't narrow it down. Thought maybe it was air intake related, but didn't seem like it after trying to listen to that area/tubes and shit.

When I get back from vacation I'll take it back to the Service Dept. at GV Ford. Should be able to show them as soon as I pull in, LOL

Other than rims/tires and exhaust, both done way before the noise started, it is stock.

Comment

Secret supercharger?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Secret supercharger?
            This

Comment

Vortech.

Comment

Is the car stock? If not what have you done to it?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post

Other than rims/tires and exhaust, both done way before the noise started, it is stock.
                  Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                  Is the car stock? If not what have you done to it?

Comment

Fuck. Not sure how I missed that.

It sucks to be forced into self diagnosis on a stock car still under warranty. Maybe try another dealer.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoClassic;1091045]Fuck. Not sure how I missed that.

It sucks to be forced into self diagnosis on a stock car still under warranty. Maybe try another dealer.[/QUOTE]

You'll get banned for saying that about GV Ford around here lol.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I think they are great on the sales side, but the same cant be said for their service department. They have been unable or unwilling to fix my dads rear bumper corner issues after a couple visits. Just yesterday I changed his oil and they had left the filter so loose it was leaking all of the motor and undertray.

That being said I had initially missed the entire post the OP made in regards to modification and the dealer he was using.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          No idea Rob, but I'd take it in.
                          This.I wouldn't post shit about my new car having problems. I would make it their problem.
                          .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                            This.I wouldn't post shit about my new car having problems. I would make it their problem.
                            If I wasn't driving it to Colorado Saturday morning, I'd take it back there. I've never had any trouble with the service there, just geting a noise to be duplicated can be tuff, and the Tech can't fix what he can't hear. I think now tho, it will make the noise if I drove it there and didn't turn it off and let him listen.

I'll be taking it back when I return on July 1st! Just wish I could say, "XXX" is exactly what is making the noise! LOL

Comment

It does sound like the alternator is going "full field".

Comment

Working...
                              X