Swapping a tired 302 for a H/C/I roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping a tired 302 for a H/C/I roller

As some of you might know, I recently picked up a '68 F100. Truck has a later model 302, I'm guessing early to mid 80's. Anyway, it's tired and I have a DSS built 306 with Edelbrock Performers, custom cam, and all the typical bolt-ons in my coupe. It's still in EFI form BTW. I just had a 347 built for said coupe and would like to pull the 306 and drop it in the F100. Plans are to freshen it up with new rings and cam bearings and fresh gaskets and have heads checked out just to be safe. I'd also like to install it just as it came out, serpentine drive system and all, minus the EFI. I already sourced an intake, carb, and dizzy thanks to ZO6killingSBF. I know these later model 302's use a 50oz imbalance along with the 157 tooth flywheel, and the truck is equipped with an automatic transmission, which I'm assuming is using a 164 tooth, 28oz flex plate. I believe it's a 3 speed Cruise-o-matic, haven't researched it yet, just going by what P.O. told me.

Sorry this is so long, I just thought my plans should be mentioned before I asked my question. Am I wrong in assuming that all I would need is the proper flex plate? Which in this case would be a 164 tooth, 50oz imbalance.

Any other things I need to know or do would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by projectPONY; 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM.
    --carlos

sigpic

Might also have to change the front cover for the fuel pump or run an electric. Might look into having the flexplate re-balanced to the new engine.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

It already has an electric pump.

Didn't know you could re-balance a flex plate.
      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X