St. Augustine grass turning yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Augustine grass turning yellow

Last year I resoded my front yard with st. Augustine and by the end of the summer it looked amazing! Was so thick and dark green.

Then around February I put down some weed and feed for st. Augustine. Think it was scott's. had a pre emergent in it. Not sure if this was the cause of my issue or not. But not long after some of my grass seemed to have turn yellow.

I then aerated the yard and laid down a half inch to an inch of peat moss. Let it go for about a month or so. Then put down some ironite. Then about a month later I put down some high nitrogen fertilizer (no weed killer since the first time).

So now it's been a couple months and have done everything I know to do and yet no signs of the yellow turning green. In fact it almost looks like more of the yard is yellow than before. It seems to be growing just fine. I mow and it grows back yellow. It doesn't seem to have bugs or disease. There's no brown spots or anything. It's just simply a yellow color

Any ideas??

Yellowing grass can be caused by several factors. Answer: Pale, yellow leaf blades in St. Augustine grass is often a result of low iron levels in the leaf tissue or nitrogen deficiency. ... Chlorosis is most common during early spring when grass is growing vigorously.

Comment

Mine did that one year. Had a fungus.

Comment

Hope you don't have chinch bugs. They will cause the yellowing and then finally kill the grass all together. Grubs can also be the cause of this too. I have this issue currently and haven't had a lot of luck curing it. I too have aerated the yard and I also topped the yard with garden soil. I've been spraying the yard with Cutter just in case my issue is insect related.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
          Mine did that one year. Had a fungus.
          This is a good point too. St. Augustine is more susceptible to fungus than other types of grass(read this). I've been told that over watering can cause this. Needless to say I've been racking my brain trying to get my yard back.

Comment

Did the fungicide, pruned the trees. Yard rocked after. My yard looked like

Comment

I'm getting the same yellowing on the edges of mine this yr. The only thing I've done different this yr is the Bayer weed-n-feed.

Comment

Weed n feed for Bermuda instead of st Augustine can do that, as can too much fertilizer, as well as items listed above.

The sell lawn kits at Ace that can tell the Nitrogen and other content in the lawn. I'd start there.

...or wait for Zemog, because he may know a better starting place.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Two weeks ago we had 2 nights in the 40's , last week was the first good week of night temps ( had a week about 3-4 weeks ago also , but that's been it, been a tough and slow year for grass to take nutrients up. Give it the week , the grass above shows some leaf spot disease and the veins in the grass is chlorsis and is caused when soils temps are still too cool to take up the nutrients fully. It can take 7-10 days when one day of night temps go below 60.

Comment

Also, pull up a few runners and check the roots , stunted,brown or blackened roots along with chlorsis is a sing of take all root rot ( take all patch)

Comment

Working...
                    X