rooting a Nook color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rooting a Nook color

Has anyone done this yet? I would like a "toy" tablet but can't justify 500+ on an ipad. I have $225 gift card at best buy that could buy me the nook color. curious if anyone has tried it and if it was any good. Been reading up on the developer boards but I'm looking for real user experience in english!

heres more info on it....

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...id-tablet.ars/

I believe Tim(8mpg) has his rooted on Gingerbread.

Comment

I has. My nook is running a Modded CyanogenMod 7 rom (Gingerbread). Its pretty neat. the only thing that doesn't work is Flash and Youtube. But if you use Froyo, they've gotten youtube to work.

The latest CM7 build has working bluetooth.

As for speaking english forums. i've been using their instructions to root and ect...

http://www.xda-developers.com/
      Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

thanks for the info....have you ever used any other tablet to compare it to? I don't want to blow too much on one if it sucks but all the reviews I see make it look worth while. I got about $225 gift card at BB so I could basically pick one of these up for nothing, or double the money and get an ipad. just can't really spend money on the Ipad for a toy.... are you happy with yours? I'd just use it to play games, surf the net, and email type stuff.

Comment

Like Redneck said, I do have a nook color that is rooted. Its a great little toy. I tried Honeycomb on the SD card and it just wasnt for me. Call me crazy but youtube is a must. Flash is a must. I really enjoy using the thing. Tapatalk is great on the Nook.

Im currently running Xboxexperts version of Froyo. It has been great and has run almost anything I have thrown at it other than Doom 3. Flash work, youtube works, etc.

There is a link to his ROM on his youtube page and instructions on xda-developers. If you decide to get one, I will get you links. His version is emmc though, so it will format your stock memory and install the platform. If you dont want to format it, there are Froyo versions that will run off a microSD card. The creators of the Nook were gracious enough to allow the microSD card be first on the bootup. You can run the entire Android platform off the microSD card. If you want it back to stock, you just remove teh card and reboot.

Comment

thanks for the info. I'll probably pull the trigger on this and give it a try. I might try to go see one in person today to see the actual size of it but if it looks like it will work for me I'll give it a try. I'll probably hit you up for some tips once I get it going.

thanks for the info

Comment

Any update on this. About to just root the NC for my sister but she wants to maintain the reader part of it but also have access to the Android Market.
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

I had a nook and rooted it using the stock ROM. Working exactly the same and had the market.

Just look for a stock ROM and you should be good. Didnt the new update add some kind of market where you can get games and stuff?

Comment

Working...
                X