Realistic construction costs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic construction costs ?

Ive searched around the net and get some ball parks, but without asking for bids (don't wanna waste peoples time yet) is there a good source or someone on here that can give me reasonably realistic pricing on the big stuff? (foundation, framing, metal roof, plumbing, electrical, and Austin stone work)
    Planning to contract my own house west of Austin in the hill country in the spring next year. About 2300 sq feet.
    Im figuring 15k on the slab. 25k on framing, 16k on roof. 10k on electrical ,10 k on plumbing, 12 k on A/C heat.
    Am I in the zone ? the stone work is my major unknown. We want real Austin Stone on the outside.
    How about drywall ?
    I will do the trim/paint etc..

i'd double electrical and plumbing, a/c sounds about right. are there already utilities in place? any natural gas?
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Utilities in place and we'll use propane.
      Seriously ? double those ?

Comment

New builds semi custom can be done for around 95 a foot turn key

What I pay per item on full gut flips

3 a sqft for electric
        Plumbing 2.75 a foot
        Roof 165 a square
        Ac if it's single story 5000 two story 7500
        Framing painting drywall tile I have two guys who work full time for me that does that so don't know my breakdown per foot
        Nail down hardwood floors 3.25" I pay 5.25 a foot installed.

Brick 350 labor for a 1000

Comment

2300 sq ft one story or two?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

its hard for me to replicate our usual figures in a residential setting, simply because we are a large outfit with union plumbers. but on a hard estimate WE usually say $2300/fixture. (sink, toilet, shower, etc.) If i were bidding that one a residential scale with a 2-3 man crew i would say you could figure about $800/fixture.

Electrical is the same. the rough in isnt the major cost. the cost will be in the fixtures. can lights vs, ikea type lighting, etc can make or break the budget.

with utilities in place your $10,000 for plumbing isnt too far off, if you get someone willing to get agressive enough to get the project, but id still say 15-20 simply because of the schedule. all those systems have to be coordinated. and dont forget about inspections/permits.
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
              New builds semi custom can be done for around 95 a foot turn key

What I pay per item on full gut flips

3 a sqft for electric
              Plumbing 2.75 a foot
              Roof 165 a square
              Ac if it's single story 5000 two story 7500
              Framing painting drywall tile I have two guys who work full time for me that does that so don't know my breakdown per foot
              Nail down hardwood floors 3.25" I pay 5.25 a foot installed.

Brick 350 labor for a 1000
              Damn. $350/1000 for brick?! We are paying $440/1000! When the market went crazy, we had growing pains through the trades driving the market.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                2300 sq ft one story or two?

One..

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                  Electrical is the same. the rough in isnt the major cost. the cost will be in the fixtures. can lights vs, ikea type lighting, etc can make or break the budget.

all those systems have to be coordinated. and dont forget about inspections/permits.
                  Rural - no inspections except septic, but Septic is already in place. There's an apartment on the shop that is fully functional. So the well is operational and the power is dropped.

All I need is rough electrical. I can install lights, switches,etc.. Im shooting for sweat equity and I'll have the time to do it..
                  And I won't need to be in a hurry. If I can get it dried in and the stone work done, I can finish it room by room at my pace.
                  Last edited by dcs13; 06-03-2017, 05:20 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                    One..
                    2300 sq ft. We are usually $13k ish in concrete (we buy at $110/yd) and about $3k for labor, IIRC. Labor is bench, trench, make up, and pour. (Post tension cable slab).
                    Rural - no inspections except septic, but Septic is already in place. There's an apartment on the shop that is fully functional. So the well is operational and the power is dropped.

All I need is rough electrical. I can install lights, switches,etc.. Im shooting for sweat equity and I'll have the time to do it..
                    And I won't need to be in a hurry. If I can get it dried in and the stone work done, I can finish it room by room at my pace.
                    Are you planning to have independent inspections done? Affordable labor, in most instances is going to be from south of the border. I have seen a lot of great framers, a lot of shitty framers, and great framers with som shoddy ass work.

Comment

Good call on the inspection. I can spot shoddy work, but I like that.

Comment

Ive searched around the net and get some ball parks, but without asking for bids (don't wanna waste peoples time yet) is there a good source or someone on here that can give me reasonably realistic pricing on the big stuff? (foundation, framing, metal roof, plumbing, electrical, and Austin stone work)
                        Planning to contract my own house west of Austin in the hill country in the spring next year. About 2300 sq feet.
                        Im figuring 15k on the slab. 25k on framing, 16k on roof. 10k on electrical ,10 k on plumbing, 12 k on A/C heat.
                        Am I in the zone ? the stone work is my major unknown. We want real Austin Stone on the outside.
                        How about drywall ?
                        I will do the trim/paint etc..
                        What's your email? I'll send you my budget worksheet from my house I built in 2014. 2700 sqft one story.

Comment

If you will PM me your email as well. I'll send over a check list I use when I punch my frames for corrections.

Where are you building?

Comment

Well, I just sat down with Ubuiltit homes and he said for a nice home to plan on $118/sqft to build and that includes their $6/ft costs to guide you. The number blew my mind. I wanted to be well under $100.

Id think your plumbing and electrical numbers are fine. Your slab costs might be higher depending on piers or not. Beam size will really determine your costs. Id do a soil sample to find out and have an engineered slab.

I have build out numbers on a 4200sqft house from 2015 and they were at $105/ft and I thought their allowances for appliances/fixtures/etc were very high. This was 2 years ago though.

Comment

Well, I just sat down with Ubuiltit homes and he said for a nice home to plan on $118/sqft to build and that includes their $6/ft costs to guide you. The number blew my mind. I wanted to be well under $100.

Id think your plumbing and electrical numbers are fine. Your slab costs might be higher depending on piers or not. Beam size will really determine your costs. Id do a soil sample to find out and have an engineered slab.

I have build out numbers on a 4200sqft house from 2015 and they were at $105/ft and I thought their allowances for appliances/fixtures/etc were very high. This was 2 years ago though.

Comment

Working...
                              X