Need used 4.6 piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need used 4.6 piston rings

So this may seem like an odd request. I have an 07 Saturn Sky and they are notorious for excessive backlash from the factory. I have 2 diffs and both are .020-.022...a far cry from a happy .008. The clunk is ridiculous. Here's the rub...no one sells a shim kit for this car. One guy had some success using piston rings 3.5" in diameter, but I didn't keep any from my last 4.6 rebuild. Anyone have some laying around?

Thanks in advance!
    -Jonny
    2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
    '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Call these guys and tell them what you are after. They may have what you need.

RANDYS Worldwide is the leading supplier in the United States for differential gears, axles, installation kits, small parts, tools, lockers, limited slips, drivelines, and more.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Will do. Thank you sir!
      '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

No one has it. Ratechmfg.com does shims by size, but the closest one is too wide. If the I'D is less than 3.1" I won't be able to get the bearing race out to adjust.
        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Can you post a pic of what the shims look like? Next to a tape measure maybe?

GM doesn't sells these?
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

GM does not sell a shim kit for this car. It's been a complaint for a while now.
            Here you can see where the shim sits, the shim and the race that sits on top of the shim. If the shim is the same ID as the race, I won't be able to get it out without destroying the race.
            '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

This company makes shims to order.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

From what I can find the Cadillac CTS-V uses the same diff and they sell shims for it at the dealer. You could also go directly to the source and look on Getrag's European site for service parts.

Edit: After looking at pictures of the case I see that you could also tighten up the backlash by lapping the gasket surface of the case on a truly flat surface but it will also effect your bearing preload which may not be an issue with used bearings.
              Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 06-07-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X