DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > God and Country

God and Country Politics and Religion

Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

Default Texafornia

Not that you needed an article to state the obvious, but here it is quantified.

Latest census data shows Californians continue to flock to Texas
Texas continues to be the most popular destination for Californians choosing to live in another state.

Author: Mark Calvey, San Francisco Business Chronicle
Published: 2:30 PM CST November 9, 2019
Updated: 2:30 PM CST November 9, 2019

DALLAS — No one’s posting billboards urging the last Bay Area resident leaving the state to turn out the lights, at least not yet. But the latest census data supports growing anecdotal evidence that an exodus is gaining momentum as more California residents vote with their feet and head to Texas and other states.

California lost an estimated 190,000 residents in 2018, a 38 percent increase from a year earlier, according to the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, which finds that foreign immigration of about 284,000 people into California offset the loss of California residents in 2018.

Texas continues to be the most popular destination for Californians choosing to live in another state, with 86,200 Golden State residents moving there in 2018, according to the American Community Survey data released Oct. 31.

The latest census data show 691,145 Californians moved to other states in 2018, marking the largest loss nationally — up 4.6 percent from 2017 and the seventh consecutive annual increase. Changes in 2018 federal tax law limiting the deduction for state and local taxes paid was expected to spur more California residents to move to states with low or no state income tax.

RELATED: Here’s how much home $300K will buy you in Texas and beyond

To put California’s population loss in perspective, The Orange County Register notes that the number of Californians leaving the Golden State is just 1.8 percent of the state’s population. Only two states — Michigan and Texas — have lower departure rates.

For Americans choosing to move to California, residents from Washington state were at the top of the list, with 38,000 coming to the Golden State. Texas was a close second, with 37,800 residents moving to California in 2018.

The state-to-state migration patterns are closely followed, since they signal which areas are likely to gain more congressional representatives and political clout in Washington, based on the 2020 Census.

Another census report released earlier this year paints an even bleaker picture: The report, featuring a smaller margin of error than the American Community Survey and covering the 12 months ended July 1, 2018, shows that California lost 38,000 residents in that period even after accounting for international immigration. That marked the first time in years that this data shows international immigration didn’t more than make up for Californians leaving the state.

Census data showing migration patterns by region, such as the Bay Area, are expected to be released in December.

Anecdotal evidence suggests out-migration is spurring an exodus from the Bay Area, which has seen the headquarters of several startups and two Fortune 500 companies leave this year. Fortune 500 No. 7, McKesson Corp. (NYSE: MCK) and fellow Fortune 500 Core-Mark Holding Co. (NASDAQ: CORE) both headed to the Dallas-Fort Worth area. After this year's annual meeting, Charles Schwab (NYSE: SCHW) founder Chuck Schwab said his company's headquarters could one day leave San Francisco.

Some observers see a sorting-out process occurring with those seen as more liberal, highly educated and earning higher salaries coming to California and those who are more conservative exiting the Golden State. A report in Monday’s Los Angeles Times titled, “California conservatives leaving the state for ‘redder pastures’” featured a Modesto couple moving to suburban Dallas.

But talk at Bay Area business lunches and cocktail parties suggests more than politics is at play. Key players in the Bay Area’s business community point to the state’s top personal income tax rate of 13.3 percent, with no lower tax on capital gains, as one key concern. Plus there’s the high housing costs and growing traffic congestion that have some pondering life in other states.

“I frequently hear about investors and entrepreneurs who are leaving California for states that have friendlier tax policies. But who can blame them? They’ve worked hard and taken significant bets over many years and now they need to protect their gains,” said Ryan Gilbert, a serial entrepreneur-turned-venture-capitalist at Propel Venture Partners. “California should adopt incentives that mirror the federal incentives to keep these entrepreneurs and investors in the state.”

But for now, it appears California might be heading in the opposite direction. One measure seeking signatures for a spot on California’s November 2020 ballot would raise the top individual income tax rate to 16.3 percent.

For a look at the companies leaving the Bay Area, click here.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/e...f-313f25d1b724
Trip McNeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Big A
Lifer

Interesting to see that those moving to CA are also coming from Texas as the #2 place of departure, we may be doing our part to bring some red values back to Sacramento next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

They are here the traffic is rediculous. Been driving 15 yrs and it’s a lot worse the last 2 years. Only gonna get worse. About ready to head to the coast can’t stand libtard idiots
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
JC316
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
They are here the traffic is rediculous. Been driving 15 yrs and it’s a lot worse the last 2 years. Only gonna get worse. About ready to head to the coast can’t stand libtard idiots
The dumb, no driving mother fucker ratio has definitely tipped. Every day I question why I live here. Hot as balls in the summer, cold and rainy in the winter, too much traffic, too much property tax, too much sales tax, and the texan culture is all but extinct.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #5
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
The dumb, no driving mother fucker ratio has definitely tipped. Every day I question why I live here. Hot as balls in the summer, cold and rainy in the winter, too much traffic, too much property tax, too much sales tax, and the texan culture is all but extinct.
Clark County WA is gorgeous.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
dsrtuckteezy
DON = Fucking awesome

That close to portland? No thanks
dsrtuckteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #7
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
the texan culture is all but extinct.
Cause you live in the garbage urban areas. They've always been pretty shit. Get out into the smaller town texas. That's the real texas. Not that city crap
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #8
JC316
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Clark County WA is gorgeous.
Would love to move up there, trying to convince the family, that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Cause you live in the garbage urban areas. They've always been pretty shit. Get out into the smaller town texas. That's the real texas. Not that city crap

I live in the country and do my level best to stay the fuck out of the city, yet the city keeps creeping out further and further.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
That close to portland? No thanks
There's a whole river between us and it's actually a fairly conservative pocket.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_County,_Washington
Quote:
Clark County is a swing county in U.S. presidential elections that recently has voted slightly more Republican than the state and nation as a whole. For example, while President Obama carried Clark County by a few hundred votes representing a fraction of a percent, he ran behind his national showing of a 3% margin. George W. Bush carried the county twice, by 52% to 47% over John Kerry in 2004 and by 49% to 46% over Al Gore in 2000. Clark County usually votes for the winning presidential candidate. It voted for Ronald Reagan twice and for Bill Clinton twice. The last three presidential elections where Clark County did not vote for the national winner were 1968, when it voted for Humphrey over Nixon, and 1988, when it voted for Dukakis over Bush, as well as in 2016 when the county narrowly voted for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton over Republican nominee and winner of the election Donald Trump.
It's no different than any of the major counties in TX from what I can tell, but damn if it ain't beautiful.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
32vfromhell
Lifer

Texas is going to turn very blue, and already national interest groups are ready to pour tons of money into the state to make it happen faster.
32vfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
The King
Lifer

Speaking of national interest groups pouring money into Texas, perhaps Beto can be our next governor.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
Gasser64
Lifer

Lets deport em all and keep em out
Old 12-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Jimbo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Last time I went back, that was all but dead too. None of the Texas I grew up in exists any longer.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #14
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
I live in the country and do my level best to stay the fuck out of the city, yet the city keeps creeping out further and further.
I mean you gotta get out there. To those towns that the city will never come to. We'll experience major population decline and societal shift before the city ever makes it that far out. Off the top of my head: Morgan Texas. Whitney. Places like that. Those are down past my neck of the woods but I have friends that live there and I go see them from time to time. It's still small town texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Last time I went back, that was all but dead too. None of the Texas I grew up in exists any longer.
If you could, please elaborate on what it is specifically. For me it's churches, beer parties at the lake, chili cookoffs, home made bbq get togethers, car shows, live bands... etc etc. That's just kind of what I grew up with. All still there, even if I don't really choose to participate in it anymore.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Texas is beyond fucked. People don't even realize how bad. Our successes will be our death. See yall in Oklahoma!
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #16
line-em-up
N Memory of Mike 12/27/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Speaking of national interest groups pouring money into Texas, perhaps Beto can be our next governor.
Or, he could end up like Bobby Kennedy, which he reminds me of.
line-em-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
Chili
Joe Blow
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
There's a whole river between us and it's actually a fairly conservative pocket.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_County,_Washington

It's no different than any of the major counties in TX from what I can tell, but damn if it ain't beautiful.
You should have been there 20-30 years ago, it was a million times better. Californians fucked up WA and OR long before they started shifting to Texas. (I went to HS in Kalama, which is up between Woodland and Longview on I-5..)

I have family all around Washougal and Camas, and you can't even buy a 1k sq ft piece of shit house in town for under around 200k.

I spent a week up there, a couple weeks ago, and hate what it has turned in to. Traffic was awful and people drive like shit. It's really a shame.

I fucking hate Californians and got out of that fucked up state as soon as possible.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
Chili
Joe Blow
VIP Member

Oh, and my mom is part of the (recent) exodus to Texas.. She and my step-dad finally left SoCal and moved to Waco last year. I'm trying to convince the rest of my family to GTFO.. But don't worry, they're all Republicans.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
Chili
Joe Blow
VIP Member

I thought this was perfect, and really funny, btw.. I picked this up at a little Mercantile store there a few weeks ago. Washougal is where my dad lives, and they have a motocross track that's starting to get popular.. So the store started selling these stickers and hoodies with the same logo..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washougal.jpg (83.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member

This thread is an exact mirror of native Coloradians. They are pissed that so many people from California are moving here. They are the driving force behind turning the state from Purple to Blue this election cycle.

Though I still hold out hope that the independents here are still just pissed about Trump and will shift back to Red with the right candidate. Over a 3rd of the state's voters are independent.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*im blue, dabadedabadu mf's, does co have ghettos too?, i'm voting 4 sleepy joe, nay fix ur blue balls, vatos+nays=u move